Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An OD on Deal -- Week of 12/10  (Read 7863 times)

itiparanoid13

An OD on Deal -- Week of 12/10
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
Family isn't here yet, so a quick update.  American Gladiators starts on January 6th and 1 VS 100 finally returns for its semi-anticipated season debut on January 11th.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'170238\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 11:23 AM\'] American Gladiators starts on January 6th[/quote]
Part of me thinks I should be excited about this, but I just can't help but feel a sense of dread.  Somehow, someway, I know they'll muck it up.

/Come on, Hulk Hogan?
//Still better than Theismann
///Will events still be "visually interesting?"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 11:25:37 AM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'170239\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 08:24 AM\']
Part of me thinks I should be excited about this, but I just can't help but feel a sense of dread.  Somehow, someway, I know they'll muck it up.[/quote]
It will at least be an entertaining premiere hour, either as a show or as a train wreck.
///Will events still be "visually interesting?"
Probably. My question revolves more around the whole "capable of producing dramatic moments" thing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »
That entire week is special, actually:

December 10th: "Winner Takes All".  In the two hour episode, three games will be played.  Whoever deals the most money takes home everyone's money.  Just in review for people confused, if Player 1 gets $200,000; Player 2 gets $250,000; and Player 3 gets $300,000; Player 3 leaves with $750,000.  The other two don't look like they're leaving with anything.

December 11th: It's a special Broadway episode where they are getting a 16 piece orchestra and playing songs from some show called Wicked.  People at home will be able to see the contents of some of the cases before they are revealed also via some post-production trick.  Doesn't really add anything special, but whatever.  This will be the episode of the week to avoid.

December 12th: This is "The Deal Wheel" episode including NBC whoring from cast members of "The Office".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:03:55 PM by itiparanoid13 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170245\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 12:36 PM\']
Probably. My question revolves more around the whole "capable of producing dramatic moments" thing.
[/quote]
I'm personally waiting for the obligatory "contestants who overcame hardship to make it on the show" sob stories.

/and the obligatory crying contestant ©
//and the female contestants in spandex
///obligatory fap fap fap
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:07:05 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

NickS

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
IMO -- now that it's being pitched for syndication, NOW's the best time to test out gimmicks (i.e. Aussie deal) to get viewers comfortable to any/all changes that will be on the syndie show.

clemon79

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'170248\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 10:03 AM\']
playing songs from some show called Wicked.[/quote]
Yeah, it's just some show. Some random show.

Wicked? Never heard of it.

C'mon, at least do a LITTLE homework before you play the Dismissive Card.

/mmmmm Spandex
//I'll be back in 40 seconds
///okay, 20 seconds
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:24:13 PM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'170248\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 01:03 PM\']
December 10th: "Winner Takes All".  In the two hour episode, three games will be played.  Whoever deals the most money takes home everyone's money.  Just in review for people confused, if Player 1 gets $200,000; Player 2 gets $250,000; and Player 3 gets $300,000; Player 3 leaves with $750,000.  The other two don't look like they're leaving with anything.
[/quote]
Aside from the mo'money potential here, I love this idea, mainly because it adds something to D/nD that hasn't been seen before : an actual competition between contestants... Now there will finally be a real strategy to this insipid show.... how long do I play, and will it be enough to win the game against the other two contesti?

Here's hoping they're smart enough to keep the three players isolated, so that no one knows how the other players are doing...
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 03:35:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'170264\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 11:21 AM\']
Here's hoping they're smart enough to keep the three players isolated, so that no one knows how the other players are doing...
[/quote]
For as much as they've screwed up what was already a pretty marginal show  I gotta think they HAVE to have figure out that they have to at least do this. Otherwise, the third player's game plays itself, at least up until the point where the pass the other two, and then it goes back to the standard DoND question of how greedy they are. Which, given that the winner will very likely take home a half-mil or so, won't be very.

They're setting themselves up for failure, too. Say one of the first two players does fairly well, and Player Three completely crashes and burns, right out of the gate, such that there is no mathematical way in hell that they can accrue the $300K offer they need to beat one of the others. That would be PAINFULLY bad television, watching them play a game that we already know at home is only augmenting the prize pool for someone else.

There are actually all kinds of logistical questions here: for example, will the Banker still have their usual "wiggle room" in these games, or are they going to have to adhere to a strict mathematical formula? They'll never tell us, of course, but OH MY GOD is the possibility of rigging ripe if the wiggle room exists.

There are ways they can do it that MIGHT work, and I'll take a Crowburger with cheese if they do, but I don't see them thinking it out that much. It'll probably be a huge rating success anyhow, because John Q. Public is a moron, but for those of us with any clue at all, it's going to be bowling-shoe ugly.

tvwxman

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »
Sandler, paraphrasing the Wedding Singer : "See? Chris Lemon gets it. I don't understand why Endemol doesn't get it."

However, there is one fail-safe device they can pull:

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170267\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 03:35 PM\']
They're setting themselves up for failure, too. Say one of the first two players does fairly well, and Player Three completely crashes and burns, right out of the gate, such that there is no mathematical way in hell that they can accrue the $300K offer they need to beat one of the others. That would be PAINFULLY bad television, watching them play a game that we already know at home is only augmenting the prize pool for someone else.
[/quote]

What's stopping them from putting the three games in the order that they see fit, and then bringing the 3 players on stage at the end? Let's say player 3 crashes and burns after 2 big wins... Well, put players 3 game on the air first!

Again, they have to keep the players isolated to do this, and they better make damn sure no one in the audience is saying a word.

It has big potential for problems, but I, the optomist this Thanksgiving, thinks this is their first bright idea in a long time.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

davidhammett

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'170272\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 04:50 PM\']
What's stopping them from putting the three games in the order that they see fit, and then bringing the 3 players on stage at the end? Let's say player 3 crashes and burns after 2 big wins... Well, put players 3 game on the air first!
Again, they have to keep the players isolated to do this, and they better make damn sure no one in the audience is saying a word.
[/quote]
If there's one thing that Endemol is good at, it's editing a show to look the way they want it to look.  There's no doubt in my mind that the three contestants may end up appearing out of order of actual taping.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how they handle the audience side of things, since to ask the audience not to say a word is totally contrary to how they stage a typical game.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170267\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 02:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'170264\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 11:21 AM\']
[/quote]
For as much as they've screwed up what was already a pretty marginal show  I gotta think they HAVE to have figure out that they have to at least do this. Otherwise, the third player's game plays itself, at least up until the point where the pass the other two, and then it goes back to the standard DoND question of how greedy they are. Which, given that the winner will very likely take home a half-mil or so, won't be very.
[/quote]
Really?  I'd be more inclined to think that the winner will probably take home whatever they win + $300 + $75, or something insipid like that.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'169250\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 10:26 PM\']
Remember kids, the networks are still in the business of making money, and they'll do it with or without scripted programming. They just may have to foist more crap on the public in order to stay in the black, but they ultimately don't care what kind of drivel we lap up, as long as we're lapping it up.
[/quote]
If it's cheap enough, it doesn't take a lot of viewers to turn a profit.

/as for the movies and specials, that's what Saturdays are for
//if the strike lasts all season, I think the networks should burn off the unaired episodes of cancelled series
///can't be any worse than Cavemen
////I can't believe nobody went for the obvious "Wheel or No Wheel" line

clemon79

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2007, 09:41:12 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'170499\' date=\'Nov 25 2007, 06:14 PM\']
////I can't believe nobody went for the obvious "Wheel or No Wheel" line
[/quote]
I'd like to think everyone is really sick of the joke.

Gus

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2007, 09:56:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'170253\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 01:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'170248\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 10:03 AM\']
playing songs from some show called Wicked.[/quote]
Yeah, it's just some show. Some random show.[/quote]Whoosh?