Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Globe: Sajak quitting Wheel "in 2 or 3 years"  (Read 12250 times)

calliaume

Globe: Sajak quitting Wheel "in 2 or 3 years"
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2007, 10:38:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'169217\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 02:41 PM\']
The latest on Sajak, according to the current cover story in the National Examiner is that Pat & Vanna are in a "secret relationship".
[/quote]
I saw this one too.  Had to thumb through the paper -- whatever they did that was more than friends was also more than 20 years ago.  The article's confusingly written (shocked!  I am shocked).

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'169238\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 08:11 PM\']
It's hard to tell how much is Ty's fault and how much is the producer's fault, but he does come off as a robot.
[/quote]

Anybody who's seen him on Soap Talk or American Idol Extra knows much of it is on him. (ST was scripted down to the hosts' simulated breathing, of course, but JD Roberto actually was a massive increase in personality when he took over hosting AIE.)

/Yes, I've watched some crap TV in my day
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:26:20 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Footix

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'169295\' date=\'Nov 10 2007, 04:46 PM\']
When warranted, Ty does ad lib. The clue was "Mayberry's town drunk" O _ _ _, and the contestant said OPIE, and Ty broke out into a grin and put his left hand on top of an imaginary little boy's head and said "Opie's little!" OTIS was the correct answer.
[/quote]
I think the better example was when a contestant solved "Something bad to have thrown at you" _ O _ _ as POOP, and Ty said something like "not what we were looking for, but that's also bad to have thrown at you!" I do think he would make a fine choice as the new host of WoF when Pat packs it in.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Footix\' post=\'169328\' date=\'Nov 11 2007, 10:20 AM\']
I do think he would make a fine choice as the new host of WoF when Pat packs it in.
[/quote]
I agree with both of you, mainly because I'm fairly certain it would get the show cancelled.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clanky06

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »
Incidentally, you wouldn't want the BOOK thrown at you.

bellbm

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2007, 03:33:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'168836\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168828\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 12:00 PM and 12:23 PM\']
Pat was quoted years ago saying that sure, he could hit the big-money space every time if he wanted to, but he  chooses to be as random as possible with his spin in an effort at fairness.  And anytime he hits Bankrupt or Lose a Turn is simply edited out.[/quote]
As someone who was paying close attention to the show for the last couple years, I don't think it's quite that simple. While I'm sure that's the only thing he'd be allowed to say in public, I think the real situation is a good bit less savory. It looks to me like, when the $5000 space is within his range (which, in the seasons preceding this one, was starting between about the yellow arrow and 2-3 spaces past the blue one), he either tries to hit it or not based on how much he likes the contestant(s). The times he's trying to hit it, I'd say he was batting around .600. When he tried and missed, he'd say something consoling, like "just $1300 a piece, but there's a lot of letters up there, still money to be made."

On the other hand, if he's not in the mood, he seems very good at being 2-3 spaces off. In those cases, he seems to just mention the amount and the category quickly and immediately asks for a letter. Usually, this is all very subtle, but I remember one episode from last season where a contestant hit the Jackpot space (with about 1/4 of the puzzle revealed) and called a letter, and Pat said that he wasn't going to solve it then. Contestant: "Yes, I am," and rattled it off. Pat actually seemed irritated by this whole thing: there was a definite change in the tone of his voice. Later, the same contestant was in control at the bell, with easily enough of the puzzle showing to solve, and the $5000 in Pat's wheelhouse. Pat very obviously short-armed it. There's no way this was an accident like it slipping out of his hand. It was a distinctly different motion than usual.

While that one was the most obvious, it's far from the only one. Some shows, you can tell he's having fun. On mine, for instance, after I won round four, he was having fun with the fact that I was a baseball umpire, and had me give an out call. The next round, the bell goes off, with the $5000 sitting on my red arrow, clearly out of his range. He gives it the biggest spin I've ever seen from him. While he still came up two spaces short, I could tell he was trying. Then, there are times where Pat appears to be aiming for the Lose a Turn. When he hits it, the $5000's in his wheelhouse for the next spin, and he often gets it. All in all, his spins look far from random to me.

[legalese] Of course, this is all my opinion: my best guess based on what I've seen, and is in no way to be considered an accusation. [/legalese]

/Okay, so I have no life
//But I have no life and over $78,000
///So there
[/quote]

When I was on the show a few years ago, we were told during the commerical break, before coming back for the 4th round, that we would go straight to the speed up round (which I don't understand why Pat can't just say that, instead of the whole "Lisa, you will spin, [Bell rings] , oh actually, I'll spin).  Anyway, Pat asked the contestant who was in first place, with about $20,000 (she won the mystery round, when it was still a car), if she wanted him to hit the $5,000, she said yes, in fact we all said yes.

Neumms

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2007, 03:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'169370\' date=\'Nov 12 2007, 03:33 PM\']
Anyway, Pat asked the contestant who was in first place, with about $20,000 (she won the mystery round, when it was still a car), if she wanted him to hit the $5,000, she said yes, in fact we all said yes.
[/quote]

So did he? Did he hit it? Come on, man! Spill the beans!

bellbm

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'169371\' date=\'Nov 12 2007, 03:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'169370\' date=\'Nov 12 2007, 03:33 PM\']
Anyway, Pat asked the contestant who was in first place, with about $20,000 (she won the mystery round, when it was still a car), if she wanted him to hit the $5,000, she said yes, in fact we all said yes.
[/quote]

So did he? Did he hit it? Come on, man! Spill the beans!
[/quote]

Sorry, yes, he did hit it.

I was in the middle podium, the round started with the player in the 1st podium (red), and the category was person

_ _ _ R    
L _ _ _ L
_ _ _ R _ _ _ _ S T

The puzzle was solved (not by me) at the point above

Can anyone solve it?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:09:43 PM by bellbm »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2007, 11:14:42 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'169381\' date=\'Nov 12 2007, 11:08 PM\']_ _ _ R    
L _ _ _ L
_ _ _ R _ _ _ _ S T

Can anyone solve it?[/quote]
Highlight the section below for my guess.

[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]YOUR LOCAL PHARMACIST[/color]?

bellbm

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2007, 12:08:48 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169382\' date=\'Nov 12 2007, 11:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'169381\' date=\'Nov 12 2007, 11:08 PM\']_ _ _ R    
L _ _ _ L
_ _ _ R _ _ _ _ S T

Can anyone solve it?[/quote]
Highlight the section below for my guess.

[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]YOUR LOCAL PHARMACIST[/color]?
[/quote]

You got it!

$18,000!  But, not enough to be the big winner of the day.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:57 AM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'169384\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 12:08 AM\']You got it!

$18,000!  But, not enough to be the big winner of the day.[/quote]
So...when should I expect my money?  Just make it out to "Cash".