Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Globe: Sajak quitting Wheel "in 2 or 3 years"  (Read 12247 times)

DrBear

Globe: Sajak quitting Wheel "in 2 or 3 years"
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
*sigh* and here I thought it was the BOSTON Globe...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

wheelloon

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168788\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 11:29 AM\']
NBC and Jay Leno are right now seeing the folly of looking years into the future and picking an exact exit date.  Sajak's too smart for that, so he gave a vague, non-committal answer to a question he must have been expecting in the wake of Barker and TPIR.  I'm all for The Speculation Game, but I don't really think the Globe story is earth-shattering information.
[/quote]

And I will also agree with you 100%, it is not. Pat's never been the type to release his feelings about the game or his job to the public, or one to promote that he's got a goal in mine. Sony, on the other hand, will work him and Vanna as much as they can (heh) to get them to keep signing each and ever time a renewal comes around, which is why my prediction is he'll sign one more Sony contract, before saying that's enough.

And yes, this is the Globe. Taken with a grain of salt, you still are giving it too much credit. I'm sticking with the info I got from Pat's sites, directly...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 08:38:24 PM »
I can't speak for Pat spinning differently based on the contestants, but almost every final spin of his I can recall from the past few years was two or three wedges shy of a complete revolution. The $5000 wedge always starts round 4 two or three wedges past the red pointer, too . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clanky06

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 01:56:37 AM »
Pat at one time had a website where he would answer e-mails. One time a contestant answered a puzzle as "Hilary Shwank" and was ruled to be wrong. Now the lady was from Texas and a Texas accent can "sh" an "s" sound. I thought the call was unfair. So I asked Pat what would he do if a black contestant solved a puzzle as, "Aks me no questions..." He answered, "You have just brought up my worst nightmare. Thanks!"

sshuffield70

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'168839\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168825\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 01:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'168822\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:51 PM\']
Pat has had many more years to practice! Notice that he never hits a Bankrupt or Lose a Turn any more so has to re-spin.
[/quote]
You really think he doesn't?  He does -- those spins are edited out.
[/quote]
I have to admit, I always got a chuckle when Sajak or Woolery would hit Bankrupt.  One of Jamie Locklin's posted WoF eps months ago had a sequence where Woolery hits Bankrupt, and the SFX guy (I'm assuming it was Geoff Cooper, but don't know for sure) hit the Bankrupt sounder and Woolery wasn't expecting it--his look was priceless.
[/quote]

It used to be when you'd see that Pat might say "Vowels are worth nothing........<bankrupt> Consonants aren't worth anything either".  And of course, spin again.

TimK2003

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »
Forget the Globe story, that's old news.

The latest on Sajak, according to the current cover story in the National Examiner is that Pat & Vanna are in a "secret relationship".

I just happened to see the tabloid headline while at the gas station today.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 03:35:57 PM »
If this story holds any water in the next five years, I fully endorse Ty Treadway to take Sajak's spot. He works well for this show as he does for Crosswords. Plus, he grows on me.

The Inquisitive One

/don't go there.
This is the Way.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'169223\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 03:35 PM\']I fully endorse Ty Treadway to take Sajak's spot. He works well for this show as he does for Crosswords. Plus, he grows on me.[/quote]
...like a tumor?

/don't go there.
I think I did.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'169217\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 01:41 PM\']
Forget the Globe story, that's old news.

The latest on Sajak, according to the current cover story in the National Examiner is that Pat & Vanna are in a "secret relationship".
[/quote]

"Pat, I'd like to buy an 'O'."

/Wait, not that kind of relationship?
//_H   WELL, I guess.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'169228\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 06:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'169223\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 03:35 PM\']I fully endorse Ty Treadway to take Sajak's spot. He works well for this show as he does for Crosswords. Plus, he grows on me.[/quote]
...like a tumor?

/don't go there.
I think I did.
[/quote]

You did not go the direction I thought some would go, so you get a pass. :)

In all seriousness (and because I honestly don't know), what is wrong with Ty? I think he's doing a decent job.
This is the Way.

tvwxman

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 05:49:48 PM »
Nothing. I think the boys in Product Development at Disneytronics did a bang up job creating a robot game show host.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'169230\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 05:40 PM\']In all seriousness (and because I honestly don't know), what is wrong with Ty? I think he's doing a decent job.[/quote]
It's hard to tell how much is Ty's fault and how much is the producer's fault, but he does come off as a robot. He reads all of the prepackaged lines exactly the same way, every time. (Can anyone who's seen more than 2 or 3 episodes NOT do a perfect impression of "Say hello to our spoilers!"?)

Also, the way he reads the occasional bit of extra info about a clue seriously highlights how all of it, from the obscure to the obvious, is fed to him. "That's from the 1902 musical Hummin' and Singin'" sounds exactly like "Water, which is a liquid that humans drink to survive". They could put "I'm a pretty pony, and this is my pretty pony dance" up on the screen, and he'd read it without a slip of his grin.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
I agree with what Connecti-Matt and Robert said.  If Ty could ad-lib just a bit and occasionally show some personality, he'd be a respectable emcee.  Instead, I compare Ty to Ron Burgundy, as both read what's given to them quite well.

/Dammit.  Who typed a question mark on the TelePrompTer?
//Go f*** yourself, San Diego.

clanky06

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2007, 04:46:13 PM »
You all gotta remember that they have to complete a standard 15X15 crossword puzzle in 30 minutes, less the usual "overhead." What is it 18 minutes of actual game time? That's why the opening "let's get to know our contestants" banter lasts 5 to 10 seconds. When warranted, Ty does ad lib. The clue was "Mayberry's town drunk" O _ _ _, and the contestant said OPIE, and Ty broke out into a grin and put his left hand on top of an imaginary little boy's head and said "Opie's little!" OTIS was the correct answer. Hey, a freshman GS host gotta do what he's told to do. After a bit more experience, I'm sure he'll show more individualism.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'169295\' date=\'Nov 10 2007, 04:46 PM\']You all gotta remember that they have to complete a standard 15X15 crossword puzzle in 30 minutes, less the usual "overhead."[/quote]
Well, no, they don't. I admit that I still don't have any hard proof of it, but I can't see any way that they aren't having to fill in extra letters at least some of the time--like when they've got a lot of back-and-forth spoiling eating up time, or a bunch of contestants that think "ISLAND" has 9 letters.

When warranted, Ty does ad lib.
Hey, a freshman GS host gotta do what he's told to do.
I did mention that a lot of it could be the producer's fault. And yes, Ty does occasionally have a clever line. (It's often not as funny because he's still stuck in grinning-I-am-a-host mode, but that's much more subjective.)

After a bit more experience, I'm sure he'll show more individualism.
Um . . . the man has been on television for years. I'd like to think that he will, but I look at Richard Karn on Feud. He improved a bit, just the amount you would expect for when he got over the newness of the job, then stopped--and was still not very good.