Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Globe: Sajak quitting Wheel "in 2 or 3 years"  (Read 12249 times)

byrd62

Globe: Sajak quitting Wheel "in 2 or 3 years"
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 02:05:14 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168809\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 10:52 AM\']
And yet I'm having trouble picturing a "Lots of Love" space on the wheel...[/quote]

...."Lots of Love" might work as a "reimagining" of either the "Bankrupt" or "Lose a Turn" space.  Probably "Bankrupt."

clanky06

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 02:51:40 PM »
When I was a contestant on Scrabble one of Chuck Woolery's off-camera remarks was, "I got so I could hit the $2000 space every time." Pat has had many more years to practice! Notice that he never hits a Bankrupt or Lose a Turn any more so has to re-spin.

Remember when Chuck had the contestants turn their backs during a commercial break?

dzinkin

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'168822\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:51 PM\']
Pat has had many more years to practice! Notice that he never hits a Bankrupt or Lose a Turn any more so has to re-spin.
[/quote]
You really think he doesn't?  He does -- those spins are edited out.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'168822\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 02:51 PM\']
When I was a contestant on Scrabble one of Chuck Woolery's off-camera remarks was, "I got so I could hit the $2000 space every time." Pat has had many more years to practice! Notice that he never hits a Bankrupt or Lose a Turn any more so has to re-spin.[/quote]
Pat was quoted years ago saying that sure, he could hit the big-money space every time if he wanted to, but he  chooses to be as random as possible with his spin in an effort at fairness.  And anytime he hits Bankrupt or Lose a Turn is simply edited out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JerrysFeudinAgain

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
How about let Edd "Kookie" Byrnes host Wheel? I'm sure he has remember those vowels by now.

Fedya

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »
How old is Rolf Benirschke? :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 03:23:56 PM »
When I was a contestant on Scrabble one of Chuck Woolery's off-camera remarks was, "I got so I could hit the $2000 space every time." Pat has had many more years to practice! Notice that he never hits a Bankrupt or Lose a Turn any more so has to re-spin.[/quote]
Pat was quoted years ago saying that sure, he could hit the big-money space every time if he wanted to, but he  chooses to be as random as possible with his spin in an effort at fairness.  And anytime he hits Bankrupt or Lose a Turn is simply edited out.

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168832\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:23 PM\']
[/quote]
Please repeat that.

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 03:32:03 PM »
You guys know who I'd want to take over. ;-)
-Joe Raygor

Chief-O

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'168833\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 02:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168832\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:23 PM\']
[/quote]
Please repeat that.
[/quote]

Well played.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Steve McClellan

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168828\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 12:00 PM and 12:23 PM\']
Pat was quoted years ago saying that sure, he could hit the big-money space every time if he wanted to, but he  chooses to be as random as possible with his spin in an effort at fairness.  And anytime he hits Bankrupt or Lose a Turn is simply edited out.[/quote]
As someone who was paying close attention to the show for the last couple years, I don't think it's quite that simple. While I'm sure that's the only thing he'd be allowed to say in public, I think the real situation is a good bit less savory. It looks to me like, when the $5000 space is within his range (which, in the seasons preceding this one, was starting between about the yellow arrow and 2-3 spaces past the blue one), he either tries to hit it or not based on how much he likes the contestant(s). The times he's trying to hit it, I'd say he was batting around .600. When he tried and missed, he'd say something consoling, like "just $1300 a piece, but there's a lot of letters up there, still money to be made."

On the other hand, if he's not in the mood, he seems very good at being 2-3 spaces off. In those cases, he seems to just mention the amount and the category quickly and immediately asks for a letter. Usually, this is all very subtle, but I remember one episode from last season where a contestant hit the Jackpot space (with about 1/4 of the puzzle revealed) and called a letter, and Pat said that he wasn't going to solve it then. Contestant: "Yes, I am," and rattled it off. Pat actually seemed irritated by this whole thing: there was a definite change in the tone of his voice. Later, the same contestant was in control at the bell, with easily enough of the puzzle showing to solve, and the $5000 in Pat's wheelhouse. Pat very obviously short-armed it. There's no way this was an accident like it slipping out of his hand. It was a distinctly different motion than usual.

While that one was the most obvious, it's far from the only one. Some shows, you can tell he's having fun. On mine, for instance, after I won round four, he was having fun with the fact that I was a baseball umpire, and had me give an out call. The next round, the bell goes off, with the $5000 sitting on my red arrow, clearly out of his range. He gives it the biggest spin I've ever seen from him. While he still came up two spaces short, I could tell he was trying. Then, there are times where Pat appears to be aiming for the Lose a Turn. When he hits it, the $5000's in his wheelhouse for the next spin, and he often gets it. All in all, his spins look far from random to me.

[legalese] Of course, this is all my opinion: my best guess based on what I've seen, and is in no way to be considered an accusation. [/legalese]

/Okay, so I have no life
//But I have no life and over $78,000
///So there
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:44:19 PM by Steve McClellan »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'168833\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:28 PM\']
Please repeat that.[/quote]
Sorry, my server at work suddely went squirrelly.  Thing is, I know I only hit the "add reply" button once.  this is why I tend to have more patience for the people this happens to now and then.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 03:49:09 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168825\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 01:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'168822\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:51 PM\']
Pat has had many more years to practice! Notice that he never hits a Bankrupt or Lose a Turn any more so has to re-spin.
[/quote]
You really think he doesn't?  He does -- those spins are edited out.
[/quote]
I have to admit, I always got a chuckle when Sajak or Woolery would hit Bankrupt.  One of Jamie Locklin's posted WoF eps months ago had a sequence where Woolery hits Bankrupt, and the SFX guy (I'm assuming it was Geoff Cooper, but don't know for sure) hit the Bankrupt sounder and Woolery wasn't expecting it--his look was priceless.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168837\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'168833\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 03:28 PM\']
Please repeat that.[/quote]
Sorry, my server at work suddely went squirrelly.  Thing is, I know I only hit the "add reply" button once.  this is why I tend to have more patience for the people this happens to now and then.
[/quote]

See, if Pat Sajak posted here, the first post would have been edited out.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 04:36:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'168836\' date=\'Nov 5 2007, 12:39 PM\']
There's no way this was an accident like it slipping out of his hand. It was a distinctly different motion than usual.[/quote]
"Watch this tape of a spin. His arm moves back...and to the left. Back...and to the left."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe