Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How many GS hosts have you met?  (Read 9045 times)

PeterMarshallFan

How many GS hosts have you met?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2003, 08:58:58 PM »
Hmmm....I met Gene Rayburn and Jon Bauman at the MG/HS Hour in '84 and I've seen but never actually met Peter Marshall, Bobby Van, Jim Lange, John Davidson, Wink Martindale, Robb Weller, and Jimmy Cefalo.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot Elaine Joyce and Pat Sajak.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 03:36:55 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2003, 09:10:26 PM »
I've met:

Marc Summers (DD Roadshow, '89...I was 10 at the time, and was fortunate enough to be 10 min from a local mall that the tour stopped at)
J.D. Roth (Jan '99, my cable company was covering his \"Zooventure Live\" roadshow at the same mall, and I was interning w/them at the time)
Peter Marshall (HS book signing, NYC, Nov '02)
Chuck Barris (CoaDM book signing, NYC, Jan '03)
Todd Newton (GSN Get Schooled Tour, Philadelphia, May '03)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

jrjgames

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2003, 09:13:23 PM »
Oh yeah, thanks, had a meeting with JD Roth too...another cool dude

Timsterino

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2003, 09:14:25 PM »
Ignoring your parameters :-)  I have personally met:

Regis Philbin (as a Contestant on WWTBAM)
Todd Newton (GSN Get Schooled in Los Angeles)
Donny Osmond (Pyramid City Sweeps in Laguna Hills and Miami)
Mark Richards (at the Game Show Congress 2)

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 09:15:20 PM by Timsterino »

gameshowhost1

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2003, 09:46:51 PM »
I met and interview Chuck Woolery in Ashland, Kentucky(his hometown)which is right next door to me here in Huntington, West Virginia.  They named a part of a street for him.  I interviewed him for a radio station I worked for in nearby Greenup, Kentucky.  He was getting ready to return to the \"All New Scrabble,\" which he said was probably \"going to be the same old crap.\"

I had Art Fleming on my radio show twice in 1979 & 1980 when he was here in Huntington to do the radio finals of \"College Bowl\" on the Marshall University campus.  I got many pictures of him.  He was a wonderful man.  He helped critique a tape of mine from the high school quiz show I hosted called \"High Q,\" the high school version of \"College Bowl.\"  I had him cut a :10 ID to use on one of my shows in 1979.  He was great!

I met Pat Sajak in Columbus in 1980 when he did \"College Bowl\" on the OSU campus.  I got his autograph.  I told him I had driven 3 hours just to meet him.  He was surprised I would drive so far.  He was very kind.

I met Johnny Gilbert and got his autograph at the Million Dollar Masters Tournament at Radio City Music Hall.  Again, a very kind man.

I had Soupy Sales on my radio show in 1980.  We played a round of Pyramid.  That was the first time he said he'd seen the home game.  He said he had given away more money than any other celebrity at that time and he didn't even \"have a lousy home version of the Pyramid.\"  He posed for many pictures and signed autographs.

I met game show announcer Alan Kalter at this past Labor Day's taping of Letterman.  I was at the show and caught up with him outside afterwards and related that I had audio of him saying, \"This is Alan Kalter speaking for the Money Maze, a Daphne/Don Lipp Production.\"  He was amazed and went on to tell me a delightful Money Maze story and thanked me for bringing back the memory.  He posed for a pic with me.

I am very good friends with Chip Beall, former host of the Texaco Star National Academic Tournament in its Houston, Texas days at Channel 4 there.  I have been  a moderator at Chip's National Academic Tourney each year since 1988.  I will be spending the Thanksgiving holiday with him and his wonderful family, now in Sandy, Utah, not too far from Chuck's Utah mansion.

My dream is to be a game show host on the national level, but being in West Virginia with lots of obligations doesn't help my dream.  I was always hoping my \"connection\" with one of the aforementioned men would help.  I've created 5 game shows and sent tapes of my work on \"High Q\" to all the biggies--to no avail.  Not even the great Art Fleming was able to help me.  I still have the dream.

Winkfan

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2003, 11:04:20 PM »
Hosts I have met on a game show set:
Jim Lange (as a NTT contestant in '84)
Michael Burger (in the audience of MG '98, and I got to kiss him!)

Hosts I have seen on a game show set but did not meet:
Peter Tomarken (PYL in 1985, I blew him a kiss from the back row!)
Bob Eubanks (CS in 1987)

Hosts I've talked to on the phone:
Mark Richards (when he had his 'radio game show party' at a station is Las Vegas in 1989)
Dave Hull (when he did morinngs at KRLA in 1992; BTW, he hosted Matchmaker in 1987, and no, we didn't talk about that show.)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Carolyn White of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 11:05:35 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2003, 11:15:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 10:04 PM\'] Hosts I have met on a game show set:
Jim Lange (as a NTT contestant in '84)
Michael Burger (in the audience of MG '98, and I got to kiss him!)

Hosts I have seen on a game show set but did not meet:
Peter Tomarken (PYL in 1985, I blew him a kiss from the back row!)
Bob Eubanks (CS in 1987)

Hosts I've talked to on the phone:
Mark Richards (when he had his 'radio game show party' at a station is Las Vegas in 1989)
Dave Hull (when he did morinngs at KRLA in 1992; BTW, he hosted Matchmaker in 1987, and no, we didn't talk about that show.)[/quote]

I informally met Phil Moore. In December 1993, Nickelodeon did one of those Nick Arcade/Guts nationwide tours, and he was running through the audience to see who knew the name of the female commentator on Guts.

Guess who had the answer? :-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 11:16:56 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2003, 11:33:44 PM »
But where are all the stories about meeting Matt Ottinger?
trainman is a man of trains

SplitSecond

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2003, 11:39:05 PM »
But where are all the stories about meeting Matt Ottinger?

They were in Burbank, so they don't count.

jalman

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2003, 12:49:56 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 11:33 PM\'] But where are all the stories about meeting Matt Ottinger? [/quote]
 Ummmm...

He gave me a home game....

Ummmm...

(flees towards Quicksilver room)

Skynet74

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2003, 01:16:59 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 01:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 12:26 PM\']However..... my most formal meeting was with Tom Bergeron who I met while hosting People Are Talking in Boston.
[/quote]
You hosted "People Are Talking"?  Why didn't you put that in your bio?  :)

Doug [/quote]

I knew something didn't quite sound right with the way I worded that.  :-)

John

Skynet74

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2003, 01:21:57 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 09:13 PM\'] Oh yeah, thanks, had a meeting with JD Roth too...another cool dude [/quote]

This is funny....... because I actually forgot that I met him too! He made an apperance at an Amusement Park in Rhode Island when he was host of Fun House. My ex girlfriend and I chatted with him a bit.  Geez, He must be the most forgotton game show host on this board! :-)

P.S.  Add Alex Trebek to my list too. I forgot that I met him and snapped a pic of him and my girlfriend together in the lobby of WBZ the day he was a guest on Tom Bergeron's talk show.

ya know.... this is starting to get real confusing. ;-)

John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 03:40:34 AM by Skynet74 »

vtown7

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2003, 10:58:03 AM »
I only can count one - Pat Sharp, of Fun House (UK).  He was nice enough to sit down with me for an interview in February 2002.  Good guy, very down to earth.

And although it was on the set, I did meet Julien Lepers of \"Questions pour un champion\" when visiting Paris in Jan 2002 - and I still can't believe that I got a picture of my friends and I on the set with him!

I asked Bob a question in the audience of TPIR this summer... guess that doesn't count but frankly it was a dream come true!

Cheers,

Ryan :)

kidsplash

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2003, 06:04:48 PM »
I've met four GS hosts so far:

I met Marc Summers in spring '92 when he was doing the Double Dare live tour. I got to participate in a classic physical challenge where I got to throw the eggs and the other player had to catch them with cymbals. I received a \"Super Sloppy Double Dare\" T-shirt for that.

When I was vacationing in Orlando on January '98, I got to meet Alan Thicke (\"Pictionary\") and told him I tape almost every episode. That was when \"Pictionary\" did a taping in Universal Studios. That was the best vacation I ever went to.

In October 29, 1999 (two days prior to Halloween and my very first Internet experience) I went to American Bandstand Grill to meet America's Oldest Teenager himself, Dick Clark! I gave a copy of my picture of the Three Stooges performing on AB in the '60s. My so-called uncle, however, was a real pain in the butt and upset me real badly. Sadly, the AB grill does not exist in St. Louis.

Last year, I met Peter Marshall at Borders in Brentwood, MO for his \"Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square\" book. I asked him to sign my copy in the front cover and in the book flap (with my nickname) and he did. I also took a picture with him. Fellow GS webmaster and collector Joe Madigan (whose trading is put on hold due to college) was also there.

TonicBH

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2003, 08:05:22 PM »
So far, my count only holds up to Mark Cohen (Make Me Laugh). Around 1999-2000, MML was going to have a performance at a local Portland theater. Featured at the performance were some local Portland people (like Pete Schulberg and Darcell). The only comedian I remember there was this guy named \"The Mustard Man.\"

After the show, I got Cohen to sign my ticket with Mustard Man's pen, which we almost walked off with.

Yep, I meet a one-time host so far. since Portland isn't that well known, GSN hasn't stopped there for any special events... yet.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.