Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your thoughts on DREW, please.  (Read 22180 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Your thoughts on DREW, please.
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »
Criminy sakes, you have two guys named Chris explaining it to you and it's still not sinking in.

I'm going to try feeding this to you in itty-bitty bite-size pieces:

He also needs to get better at building suspense
OK, hold it! Stop right there! Can you grok that much?

Watch the way he handles the Showcase Showdown. Barker handled it well but with Drew it's perfunctory. It's not just what he says but how he says it, IOW acting.

Punch-A-Bunch is another great game for suspense building.

I'm not saying Drew isn't above criticism, but don't you think you're being just a little unduly harsh on the guy?
For $7 to $9 million per year I think I could withstand the criticism (which he probably doesn't read anyway).

Your witness, Mr. Lemon.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:57:29 AM by chris319 »

tpirfan28

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
My 2˘...

Watch Drew handle One Away.  If that's not really good suspense building, then nothing is.

Alakazam is getting repetitive, but I'd take that over Bob's hum-hawing.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Casey

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'191323\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 08:25 AM\']
Watch Drew handle One Away.  If that's not really good suspense building, then nothing is.
[/quote]
One good game does not a great host make.  Contrast his handling of One Away with his handling of the Showcase reveal....

BrandonFG

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'191324\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 10:27 AM\']
One good game does not a great host make.  Contrast his handling of One Away with his handling of the Showcase reveal....
[/quote]
Agreed...it should be something more than "Jane, you bid $20,000...the ARP is (pulls out card) $21,599 a difference of (ding!) $1,599." Thing is, he doesn't pause long enough to build suspense, he just rushes through it all. There's a Double Showcase win on Youtube where he doesn't really build up to the moment, he just flatly says that the contestant won both showcases.

I understand he was thrown into the fire rather quickly, for which I blame CBS and/or Fremantle, but there's some things I'd tell him to pick up on before others, i.e. building suspense on some games and the Showcase. You don't have to draw it out like Bob, or add pregnant pauses like on "Deal or No Deal", but don't just rush right through it either.

Do I think he's a bad host? No, and I also don't think that's the point Chris C. is driving at.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:01:02 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Do I think he's a bad host? No, and I also don't think that's the point Chris C. is driving at.
He has some strengths and some glaring weaknesses. For a high-seven-figure salary he should work on those weaknesses.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2008, 03:04:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'191336\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 01:29 PM\']
He has some strengths and some glaring weaknesses. For a high-seven-figure salary he should work on those weaknesses.
[/quote]

No argument there.

My point is that it was his first year on the job and he's still getting acclimated. Give him a LITTLE slack.

I got your points in the earlier post you made, but you should have made them clearer before instead of having me assume something that wasn't the case. You failed to do that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tpirfan28

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2008, 03:13:06 PM »
I also still haven't figured out why they gave an unproven (did he even DO demo shows?) host "high" seven-figures.  One seven-figure would have been fine with me.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'191339\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 12:04 PM\']
My point is that it was his first year on the job and he's still getting acclimated. Give him a LITTLE slack.[/quote]
See, this isn't an entry-level position. That's the thing. Far, FAR from it. Drew is at the minimum making as much as Joe Thornton makes playing for the Sharks. Nobody in San Jose ever looked at Joe and said "aw, he's new to the teal jersey, give him some time." Nor should they have.

The host of Crosswords? Give him a little slack, sure. The host of The Price Is Right? No.
I got your points in the earlier post you made, but you should have made them clearer before instead of having me assume something that wasn't the case. You failed to do that.
You do realize, I hope, that you and Odor are the only ones who didn't get his point from the get-go, right? No, of course you don't.

/this won't end well
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'191351\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 02:23 PM\']
My point is that it was his first year on the job and he's still getting acclimated. Give him a LITTLE slack.[/quote]
See, this isn't an entry-level position. That's the thing. Far, FAR from it. Drew is at the minimum making as much as Joe Thornton makes playing for the Sharks. Nobody in San Jose ever looked at Joe and said "aw, he's new to the teal jersey, give him some time." Nor should they have.[/quote]
Far be it for me to defend Palmer, but I don't think you could stretch it much farther than this.
I hope, that you and Odor
Name's Mark, k, thx.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'191353\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 12:27 PM\']
Far be it for me to defend Palmer, but I don't think you could stretch it much farther than this.[/quote]
Really? Tell me the difference.
Name's Mark, k, thx.
Mine's Chris. Pleased to meetcha.

PYLdude

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'191351\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 02:23 PM\']
See, this isn't an entry-level position. That's the thing. Far, FAR from it. Drew is at the minimum making as much as Joe Thornton makes playing for the Sharks. Nobody in San Jose ever looked at Joe and said "aw, he's new to the teal jersey, give him some time." Nor should they have..[/quote]

Was Drew Carey one of the better scorers in the National Hockey League? No. He was a stand up comedian  whose game show hosting experience was minimal, if not nonexistent (I don't know how many episodes of Power of 10 Drew did before CBS called him for The Price Is Right).

Straw.

You were a guy who was saying that Drew Gets It...might I say you sound more like the Barker bunch now?

You do realize, I hope, that you and Odor are the only ones who didn't get his point from the get-go, right? No, of course you don't.

Well, if he made his point a little more clearly, we wouldn't have HAD that problem, now would've we?

I know, never let facts get in the way of a good snark...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:45:57 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

tpirfan28

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'191356\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 03:42 PM\']
(I don't know how many episodes of Power of 10 Drew did before CBS called him for The Price Is Right).[/quote]
I'd be willing to wager after the first set taped (was that 6?)

He did host that quazi-show Play for a Billion, and was ringmaster on Whose Line.

PYLdude

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'191358\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 02:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'191356\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 03:42 PM\']
(I don't know how many episodes of Power of 10 Drew did before CBS called him for The Price Is Right).[/quote]
I'd be willing to wager after the first set taped (was that 6?)

He did host that quazi-show Play for a Billion, and was ringmaster on Whose Line.
[/quote]

Yeah, but Whose Line really wasn't a GAME SHOW, per se, more than a panel/variety show...

Maybe you can count Play for a Billion.

clemon79

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'191356\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 12:42 PM\']
Was Drew Carey one of the better goal scorers in the National Hockey League. No.[/quote]
No. (Though I have heard he has a soft touch with the stick and a great move to the left side of the net.) But he was one of the more successful television personalities of his era, being hired to be a television personality. The two situations are absolutely comparable. Identical? No. Comparable? Yes.
You were a guy who was saying that Drew Gets It...might I say you sound more like the Barker bunch now?
You might (hell, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you did), but you'd be wrong. I still think he Gets It. I just agree that for the stupid money they're paying him, he ought to be a little more polished by now.
Well, if he made his point a little more clearly, we wouldn't have HAD that problem, now would've we?
Holy God.

PYLdude

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2008, 12:12:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'191361\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 02:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'191356\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 12:42 PM\']
Was Drew Carey one of the better goal scorers in the National Hockey League. No.[/quote]
No. (Though I have heard he has a soft touch with the stick and a great move to the left side of the net.) But he was one of the more successful television personalities of his era, being hired to be a television personality. The two situations are absolutely comparable. Identical? No. Comparable? Yes.[/quote]

Agree to disagree for me. I don't see the similarities. I really don't.

You might (hell, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you did), but you'd be wrong. I still think he Gets It. I just agree that for the stupid money they're paying him, he ought to be a little more polished by now.

I do agree with that much (and I wish it had been said and made clearer earlier so I didn't waste a rant thanks to a misinterpretation of somebody's point). Certain things (the pacing, the Showcase) do irk me a bit, but I'm more willing to cut him slack because it was one year. I'm gonna relay something that was said in a recent convo between me and a forum member through IMs...if he KEEPS doing it and doesn't improve on what he's doing, then there's gonna be a problem.

I'm not gonna predict what Drew's gonna do next season- no reason to do so, because no way to know. However, I do think that he knows what he needs to improve on and I'm sure that he'll be working on it. Whether he succeeds, well...