Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playmania has been Cancelled!  (Read 10318 times)

Craig Karlberg

Playmania has been Cancelled!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 03:31:14 AM »
I never really liked the show from the start, but when they started adding bigger money & showing those QVC-type clocks every 15 minutes or so, that did it for me.  At least there's something to be said about call-in & lose shows like this: trying to pluck as much as $10 just to win as little as say, $50 or as much as say, $2,500 I saw in one episode just doesn't cut it for me.  Audios Playmania!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 11:22:25 AM »
I'll tend to switch to it once in a while, mostly to see if Shandi's on, because eye candy is eye candy.  I hadn't seen in in a couple of weeks, but I saw it last night (before I saw this thread) and was perplexed.  One, because I didn't recognize the redhead who was hosting.  Two, because she was just sitting there.  I don't just mean she wasn't moving back and forth across the studio, that show' vertigo-inducing trademark, I mean she was just sitting and not saying anything.  She just stared at the camera for what felt like thirty seconds (was probably less, but still).  She finally mumbled something inane about the puzzle, and then just stared some more.  Never smiled, and I'm not sure she blinked.  Frankly, a little creepy.  They finally put up a FIVE minute clock (I had only seen the three-minute one up to now), and I gave up on it.  Anybody know who she is?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

xavier45

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166702\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 11:22 AM\']
Anybody know who she is?
[/quote]
She is Angelle Tymone who just started on the show a few months ago.
I guess from what I hear about her, she worked on the show backstage before becoming a fulltime host.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:45:53 AM by xavier45 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'166704\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 11:35 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166702\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 11:22 AM\']Anybody know who she is?[/quote]She is Angelle Tymone who just started on the show a few months ago.[/quote]
She frightened me.  Though now that I see this thread, I wonder if she was just miserably depressed about her show being canceled, and her heart just wasn't in it.  That would at least explain the general pallor I saw over the proceedings.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

xavier45

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166707\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 11:48 AM\']

She frightened me.  Though now that I see this thread, I wonder if she was just miserably depressed about her show being canceled, and her heart just wasn't in it.  That would at least explain the general pallor I saw over the proceedings.
[/quote]
Yeah Shandi scared me the first time she did the same thing Angelle did.
And she probably was sad. She said at the end it was her last show in October, which means we will
never see her again.

toddyo

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
This show is rescuable. The show suffered from multiple accounts. The sucking people for money was way too obvious. The repore between viewers and hosts vanished. The multiple hosts....the two newest were horrible.

Last night, I knew something was wrong with Angelle (or On-Hell as we called her at the house) was sitting, the lighting was horrid and the game play was slower than a wedding reception line.

To GSN, regroup, relaunch this show in a couple of months as PLAYMANIA, bring back the excitement and fun interaction (the e-mails, the topics of the day, the Chuck bobblehead etc...the interaction with the crew). Live at Midnight, time to be a bit randy, mischievious. This show has suffered from changes from around the time Mel left.

Comments?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 03:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'166714\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 02:52 PM\'] To GSN, regroup, relaunch this show in a couple of months as PLAYMANIA, bring back the excitement and fun interaction (the e-mails, the topics of the day, the Chuck bobblehead etc...the interaction with the crew). Live at Midnight, time to be a bit randy, mischievious. This show has suffered from changes from around the time Mel left.
 [/quote]

Ooooooooor:

They could leave it dead - making the TV landscape a better place for it; in the process running 2 rarely seen older shows that actually seem to be drawing in better numbers than two hours of being told to "get involved" (dammit, where am I supposed to buy feed oats at midnight?) by hosts who have their audience sit through six minute vamping sessions that make Trivia Track and Super Decades look like fast-paced programming.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:24:54 PM by Seth Thrasher »

tvmitch

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »
Great changes. I will be setting the DVR to record NYSI every night it's on - I love that show.
You should follow me on Twitter

snowpeck

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 05:06:28 PM »
I'll admit the show could have worked as an occasional stunt, but every night was just too much.  I sort of enjoyed it the first couple of times I watched it, but after that it was just annoying.  I'm glad to see it go.  Bring on the classics!

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

xavier45

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 10:27:38 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'166728\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 05:06 PM\']
Bring on the classics!

Greg
[/quote]
Right On.

BTW, according to GSN's show pages they will be airing Super Millionaire at 1am with Millionaire on at 12am. This will all start on Late Monday/Early Tuesday on November 5th.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 01:33:25 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'166714\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 11:52 AM\']
The sucking people for money was way too obvious.
[/quote]
Fixed that for you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CaseyAbell

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »
Playmania had a good run. How many shows on even the most obscure cable net last four hundred eps? The format just ran out of steam. It wasn't the new hosts or 100 Winners or anything else except simple viewer ennui with the call-in format night after night.

As for the quality of the show, I liked watching it for maybe a half-hour at a time. The live nature of the show and the eye candy dispensed by the hosts made things interesting enough, even if the games were simple-minded or flogged to painful deaths. It was hardly the greatest programming ever, but an acceptable way to pass a few minutes.

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Perhaps the question here is how seemingly every other country in the world seems to make money with these call-in-and-lose shows and U.S. channels can't, including the games channel.  (I don't know that if that show on BET is still running.)  Perhaps we have better taste than people think.

And that's the main story, folks.  If it was still profitable, GSN would still be running it.

Perhaps one of our overseas correspondents can tell us if the genre is running out of steam in their countries and that that video of the Swedish hostess is an apt commentary on the current fortunes of call-in-and-lose.

Don Howard

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'166845\' date=\'Oct 15 2007, 05:20 PM\']
(I don't know that if that show on BET is still running.)[/quote]
Indeed it is; Take The Cake can be enjoyed on BET weeknights at eleven followed by a double episode of Hell Date.

tvmitch

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »
A gentle bump to remind everyone that tonight is the final episode of Playmania. Trivia Trap and NYSI will begin a daily run starting late night "tomorrow" (technically in the early morning of November 2).
You should follow me on Twitter