Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temptation (Aussie) board game  (Read 3691 times)

beatlefreak84

Temptation (Aussie) board game
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well, after being reminded of the old $OTC board game with Quizzard (too bad my Quizzard stopped working...I got rid of the game as a result), I decided to do some searching for what similar board games the Aussies might have released.  I happened to notice that a board game for Temptation was released Down Under recently, but no one was auctioning/selling a copy on eBay.

So, for those of you that either have it and/or played it, I'm curious about a few things:

1.  How does it compare to our $OTC board game?  Is it pretty much the same thing, including the buzzer system?
2.  Other than actually going to Australia and eBay, how would one go about purchasing the game?
3.  If you have happened to play it, is it worth having?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your answers; you may have determined a possible Christmas gift for myself...;)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »
Pretty sure our own Joe Van Ginkel has one, and I remember him posting that it was part and parcel the same as the game we had in the 80's.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »
Search the archives on here, or type in "Temptation board game" on The Google.  There's a thread on this forum, complete with pictures.  From what I read and saw, Crown & Andrews unfortunately did very little to update the game to conform to the new rules of Temptation - they merely updated the graphics.  Other than that, rules play pretty much the same as the 1986 US Home Game - with the exception that each grand prize has a specific price tag, making it unchanged since the early '80s shopping endgame.

EDIT:

Link One and Link Two.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:14:23 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

beatlefreak84

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
Wow...thanks for the links!  Definitely looks pretty snazzy compared to even the '86 version, and I really like the whole shopping endgame as opposed to just drawing a card like we had.

I guess I'll have to keep my eye on eBay for a while and see if one turns up...:).  Is it still being sold in Australia, or has it been taken off the market?  I was kinda surprised not to see one turn up as of yet.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:14:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165571\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 06:00 PM\']
Pretty sure our own Joe Van Ginkel has one, and I remember him posting that it was part and parcel the same as the game we had in the 80's.
[/quote]
Mr. Lemon speaks truth.  Behold a review I wrote a while ago on my LiveJournal:

Temptation board game review
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Sodboy13

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'165576\' date=\'Oct 4 2007, 08:50 PM\']
Wow...thanks for the links!  Definitely looks pretty snazzy compared to even the '86 version, and I really like the whole shopping endgame as opposed to just drawing a card like we had.

I guess I'll have to keep my eye on eBay for a while and see if one turns up...:).  Is it still being sold in Australia, or has it been taken off the market?  I was kinda surprised not to see one turn up as of yet.

Anthony
[/quote]

It appears the two Aussie stores which were selling it online have gotten rid of it.  gamesparadise.com.au has replaced it with a DVD game, complete with 3 buzzers.  Aussie eBay also comes up empty.  So unless you've got a region-free DVD player, looks like you're stuck for the time being.

/There were actually several for sale on eBay a few months back...
//What I really want to know is, where can one buy the Big Red Buzzer?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »
I bought it last year as something to have (or something to update) from the  '86 board game. I will say that the game itself is an improvement over the previous versions. The LJ link pretty much sums it up, and it was worth the $100 I bought for it.

/I was one of the buyers who spent $100 on it.
//I'll say it again, it was definitely worth the money spent.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'165735\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 01:13 PM\']
/I was one of the buyers who spent $100 on it.
[/quote]
Wow. I have friends who go to and from Australia often. I could make a mint.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe