Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Flannel Feud Marathon  (Read 3409 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN's Flannel Feud Marathon
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
...Well, with football not coming on for a little while longer, and there just not being a hell of a lot else on, I found myself watching the first part of GSN's Karn FF marathon - looks like they've dug out some episodes not-previously shown, the beginning of the 2004-05 season.  I was under the impression that they acquired the whole series, but I hadn't heard of them airing anything from the second half of the run until now.

By this point, all of Richard's annoying catch phrases (drawing first blood, et al) and mannerisms are clearly well-entrenched, and I'm starting to remember why I disliked this version more as it went on.  Not helping is the ADHD directing of DiPirro and a good roughly half the set pieces now being that LED-lit 1.5-million-color-but-we-only-use-4 garbage.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:57:24 AM by Seth Thrasher »

Chief-O

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:41:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'170234\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 09:51 AM\']
Not helping is the ADHD directing of DiPirro
[/quote]

As far as I know, he never did "Feud". Ken Fuchs was calling the shots by that time.

But yeah, you can still say that about the directing.....

/I outright stopped paying attention to "Feud" by that time---feel free to correct me if I screwed up
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:42:35 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:08:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'170256\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 01:41 PM\'] As far as I know, he never did "Feud". Ken Fuchs was calling the shots by that time.
 [/quote]
Then color me mistaken if ttrue, but damned if it doesn't seem like his handiwork nonetheless.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:22:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'170256\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 01:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'170234\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 09:51 AM\']
Not helping is the ADHD directing of DiPirro
[/quote]

As far as I know, he never did "Feud". Ken Fuchs was calling the shots by that time.

But yeah, you can still say that about the directing.....

/I outright stopped paying attention to "Feud" by that time---feel free to correct me if I screwed up
[/quote]

I'm just curious, how was the direction of Flannel Feud ADHD-ish?

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'174273\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 10:22 AM\']
I'm just curious, how was the direction of Flannel Feud ADHD-ish?
[/quote]
One thing that stood out was a lot more tilting camera shots, esp. during the intro and closing.

When I think of Flannel Feud, I think of just about the most generic game show production you could ever think of.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'174347\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 06:17 PM\']When I think of Flannel Feud, I think of just about the most generic game show production you could ever think of.[/quote]

Flannel Feud: Far from first form, forgivable for faults. Forced fun, frivolous, flashy... feh.

*Totally boring, and often brain-dead, families
*...and totally stupid answers given by said families...
*...and, sometimes, totally stupid answers given by the people surveyed!
*WAY TOO MUCH SHOUTING!!!
*5 family members, but only 4 questions (except in Sudden Death cases)
*...and they had to zip through those 4 questions at Mach 3 since nowadays, a half-hour program comprises what feels like 27 minutes of ads and 3 minutes of program
*That THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! theme (at least it had a melody, kinda sorta)
*The fact that almost nobody could ever clear all the answers off the board (although with the many asinine questions, I'm not terribly surprised here)
*Karn's over-reliance on catch phrases ("the ____ family have drawn first blood", "I'm doubling/tripling the points", the entire Fast Money spiel)

On the plus side, the set was actually pretty sharp, and Karn clearly enjoyed his role as host.