Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if...?  (Read 10587 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What if...?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 12:03:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'164146\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 06:17 AM\']
(Wouldn't kill him to show some emotion either.)
[/quote]
I just figured out who Rossi reminds me of!

/more money than you could *possibly* *imagine!*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:05:29 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

What if...?
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »
And to add to the list of What's Wrong with Rossi, I don't really like him urging the contestant to buy an IB.  His job is only to present the offers and tempt the contestant, not try to ram it down the contestant's throat.  I don't care if Ginger Simpson told him otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 12:20:53 PM by uncamark »

Clay Zambo

What if...?
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'164158\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 12:20 PM\']
And to add to the list of What's Wrong with Rossi, I don't really like him urging the contestant to buy an IB.  His job is only to present the offers and tempt the contestant, not try to ram it down the contestant's throat.[/quote]

Of course that's his job!  It's called Temptation.
czambo@mac.com

Neumms

What if...?
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164157\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 11:03 AM\']
[/quote]

That is hilariously and frighteningly accurate.

You know, we occasionally note that sets such as "That's the Question's" are too small, but it's a shame this one's so big that Rossi has to run around it like a kid graduating from 6th grade.

BrandonFG

What if...?
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'164158\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 12:20 PM\']
And to add to the list of What's Wrong with Rossi, I don't really like him urging the contestant to buy an IB.  His job is only to present the offers and tempt the contestant, not try to ram it down the contestant's throat.  I don't care if Ginger Simpson told him otherwise.
[/quote]
And during the aftermath, the fact that he can't think of a half-decent ad-lib transition annoys me.

It's just "Okay/Oh no...didn't buy it! Nice work/would've been nice...Okaytimeforthespeedround!"

(And do we really need to play the theme song stinger just to play the Fame Game?)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

What if...?
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 01:00:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'164165\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 11:56 AM\']
And during the aftermath, the fact that he can't think of a half-decent ad-lib transition annoys me.

It's just "Okay/Oh no...didn't buy it! Nice work/would've been nice...Okaytimeforthespeedround!"

(And do we really need to play the theme song stinger just to play the Fame Game?)
[/quote]

True! True! Geez, if the producers asked, I can't imagine the music house wouldn't have thrown in a couple of extra stingers just so they wouldn't burn the main one into the ground.

uncamark

What if...?
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 01:06:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'164166\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 12:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'164165\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 11:56 AM\']

[/quote]

True! True! Geez, if the producers asked, I can't imagine the music house wouldn't have thrown in a couple of extra stingers just so they wouldn't burn the main one into the ground.
[/quote]

And it's not like Rossi's walking a half-mile away from the podium--not to mention that Brad Kreisberg's doing a close-up of him all along, not a full set shot.  It doesn't need any music or canned applause at all, just follow Rossi walking back to the podium and setting up the next round.  Perhaps he said something like "well, you've turned down the Instant Bargain and kept your lead--*but* it is time for a speed round--can you keep your lead?"

Perhaps if Ginger had given him some tapes of Jim Perry to use as a reference--nah, wouldn't happen.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What if...?
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'164161\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 09:45 AM\']
You know, we occasionally note that sets such as "That's the Question's" are too small, but it's a shame this one's so big that Rossi has to run around it like a kid graduating from 6th grade.
[/quote]
Oh, and let me comment on this, too. It looks really idiotic when Rossi does the open from "Shopper's Paradise" (insert universal "handjob" jesture here), it goes through the little opening animation and theme, and ONLY WHEN IT WIPES BACK does he bolt to the podium. I know most people aren't gonna notice this, but the vibe I get is that he was standing there like an idiot at center stage waiting for a cue for those fifteen seconds. Which he was, but I'm not supposed to know that. When Ed and Livinia did it, they would hit their cue, and start walking over during the opening theme, so that when it wipes back, they're taking the last couple steps, and it looked FAR more natural. Rossi makes me think of Dylan Lane's little move to the Instant Reaction Cocktail Table.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

What if...?
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164157\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 12:03 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'164146\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 06:17 AM\']
(Wouldn't kill him to show some emotion either.)
[/quote]

/more money than you could *possibly* *imagine!*
[/quote]

Don was one of  the Worst of the infomercial hosts of their day.

Everytime I watched Mr. Lapre, I'd get seasick cause his infomercials always used a handheld camera that could never hold still!

Thank goodness our stations picked up Crosswords instead!!!

Neumms

What if...?
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164171\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 12:12 PM\']
It looks really idiotic when Rossi does the open from "Shopper's Paradise" (insert universal "handjob" jesture here), it goes through the little opening animation and theme, and ONLY WHEN IT WIPES BACK does he bolt to the podium. . . Rossi makes me think of Dylan Lane's little move to the Instant Reaction Cocktail Table.
[/quote]

And why the hell do they even have the Shopper's Paradise/Super Knock Off/Instant Reaction Cocktail Table when half the time they don't even stand there! And when they do stand there, a male contestant is way too tall for it because Rossi looks to be about 5' 2"! And why does the word "Temptation" on it face the audience when (a) there isn't an audience and (b) the camera's never shooting from that direction!

Augh!

BrandonFG

What if...?
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'164178\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 01:50 PM\']
And why the hell do they even have the Shopper's Paradise/Super Knock Off/Instant Reaction Cocktail Table when half the time they don't even stand there! And when they do stand there, a male contestant is way too tall for it because Rossi looks to be about 5' 2"! And why does the word "Temptation" on it face the audience when (a) there isn't an audience and (b) the camera's never shooting from that direction!
[/quote]
And that reminds me of the arrangement of Rossi's main game podium. It should look somewhat parallel to his backdrop, and instead, the backdrop and podium form what look like a 60-degree-angle. I don't know if it's the set design or the camera blocking, but watch next time, and the podium arrangement look extremely awkward, at least compared to the contestant area set-up.

/That should be basic set design 101.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:09:45 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

What if...?
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
I think it's for the uber-(not)cool shot of him and the DisOrDat screen.  Looks like the camera is shooting across the top of his lecturn podium* to the board.

*If this were J!, I would use lecturn, since it's a formal term.

Edit:

100,001 Big Board Reply!!!!!oneone11!!!!!!!!!

/as it reads now...it's probably been more than that
//I felt like celebrating
///now back to regular programming.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:21:22 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
What if...?
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'164178\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 01:50 PM\']And why the hell do they even have the Shopper's Paradise/Super Knock Off/Instant Reaction Cocktail Table when half the time they don't even stand there! And when they do stand there, a male contestant is way too tall for it because Rossi looks to be about 5' 2"! And why does the word "Temptation" on it face the audience when (a) there isn't an audience and (b) the camera's never shooting from that direction![/quote]
<Seinfeld> And why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? </Seinfeld>

Maybe the powers that be could get a pallet of unsold SeenOnTemptation.com merchandise for Rossi to stand upon?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
What if...?
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'164218\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 06:38 PM\']<Seinfeld> And why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? </Seinfeld>[/quote]
I thought that was Carlin, but at this point it probably doesn't matter.

/Is Rich Fields a hippy-dippy weatherman?
//Or just dippy?
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
What if...?
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 10:30:33 PM »
It's time for another episode of That Dog Won't Hunt, with your host, me.

[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'164131\' date=\'Sep 17 2007, 08:13 PM\']
When comparing the Vault to Instant Cash, there's hardly any risk.  If a "good" payout is anything with at least four digits, there is a substantially greater chance of getting that than something less than good.  [/quote] So, wait a minute. You're going to define the terms and then claim victory?

Nuh-uh.

Is $1,000 good money for free? Absolutely. But when your cash jackpot just disappeared because you dove into the Vault and then lost by $14, even $9,650 doesn't sound so great. That's where the tension is. And it belongs as the last temptation of the day, not the first. There's always a risk to play. That's the point of the whole show. And I question your threshold of $1,000 as a "good" payout: many Vault players have groaned at sums of $2,000 that come up. And some are happy to win that. It's all perspective.

Yes, I know that you're just as likely to get $8 as you are $8,000, but there doesn't seem to be as much potential for Buyer's Remorse.
I have no idea what you mean here. Like I said, if you win, well, then you were right to play anyhow. If you lost, then at least you have some cash. Better to lose and take home some goodies than to lose with just the fountain pen.

What I don't like about the endgame is that it's non-discriminatory.  I do like it has risk (unlike the Winner's Board), but if I'm averaging $100 a day, I should be able to get more than someone averaging $60 a day.  Also, I'd rather have a bonus game that serves me now rather than possibly serve me later.
I get what you're saying, and you finally have a good point here, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a fairly minor knock for me.

If you're averaging $100 a day, maybe you ought to be spending up in the Gift Shop, eh?
Travis L. Eberle