Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Challengers  (Read 18603 times)

clanky06

The Challengers
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »
I must admit that the Challengers - Stan Newman connection was news to me. Click

fishbulb

The Challengers
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »
I watched The WWW Game regularly when I was a little kid (I think I've said before, we always had NBC on during daytime), and it was one of my favorites.
I also remember the numbers spinning around to lower the score.

I loved The Challengers.  My mom and I watched it together whenever I visited her, and let me tell you, there was precious little on TV that we both enjoyed.

Thank you, Mr. Greenberg.

jbatch2

The Challengers
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
I think they had some kind of call-in sweepstakes similar to "Phone Jeopardy!" where Dick Clark read the first question on the air.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Challengers
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2008, 11:14:08 PM »
[quote name=\'jbatch2\' post=\'192247\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 02:45 PM\']
I think they had some kind of call-in sweepstakes similar to "Phone Jeopardy!" where Dick Clark read the first question on the air.
[/quote]

I remember that as well. I believe it was either mid-way through or towards the end of the run when they trotted that out. (It was after it moved to mornings in NYC, I know that much for sure.)

Perhaps I'm asking too much here...but does anybody remember how it was conducted?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TheConfessor

The Challengers
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 12:44:13 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'163761\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 10:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'162673\' date=\'Sep 4 2007, 12:50 PM\']
Didn't I read that Ed Toutant was a Challengers contestant?
[/quote]

Well, it's on Wikipedia, Clanky (probably where you saw it...that's where I saw it, too)...would help if we could get some confirmation from the man himself.

Paging Mr. Toutant to the white courtesy phone, please.
[/quote]
I just happened to notice this thread.  I don't visit here as often as I should.  Yes, I was on The Challengers in January 1991.  I think I made a big impression at the audition when I was the only person who could identify a photo of Buster Douglas.  But on the actual show I did poorly, and won no money.  Very few people ever saw it because it aired on the day the U.S. started bombing Baghdad in Gulf War I, and most TV stations were covering that story around the clock.  It aired in Austin, and I still have a copy somewhere.

I've since had the honor of meeting Ronnie Greenberg, who is not only one of the game show greats, but also a very nice guy.

Ed Toutant

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Challengers
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 12:52:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TheConfessor\' post=\'192345\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 11:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'163761\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 10:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'162673\' date=\'Sep 4 2007, 12:50 PM\']
Didn't I read that Ed Toutant was a Challengers contestant?
[/quote]

Well, it's on Wikipedia, Clanky (probably where you saw it...that's where I saw it, too)...would help if we could get some confirmation from the man himself.

Paging Mr. Toutant to the white courtesy phone, please.
[/quote]
I just happened to notice this thread.  I don't visit here as often as I should.  Yes, I was on The Challengers in January 1991.  I think I made a big impression at the audition when I was the only person who could identify a photo of Buster Douglas.  But on the actual show I did poorly, and won no money.  Very few people ever saw it because it aired on the day the U.S. started bombing Baghdad in Gulf War I, and most TV stations were covering that story around the clock.  It aired in Austin, and I still have a copy somewhere.

I've since had the honor of meeting Ronnie Greenberg, who is not only one of the game show greats, but also a very nice guy.

Ed Toutant
[/quote]

Thanks for the information, Ed. Much appreciated.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Ian Wallis

The Challengers
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 03:03:19 PM »
This was one of those shows that just sort of fell through the cracks.  I'd love to see it come back again.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

davemackey

The Challengers
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TheConfessor\' post=\'192345\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 12:44 AM\']
[/quote]
I've never met Ronnie (only through messages on this here board) but I've always enjoyed all his work, through his own production company (including "The Big Showdown", a co-production with Don Lipp), and as showrunner for Jack Barry all those years.

Matt Ottinger

The Challengers
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'193760\' date=\'Aug 10 2008, 04:51 PM\']I've never met Ronnie (only through messages on this here board) but I've always enjoyed all his work, through his own production company (including "The Big Showdown", a co-production with Don Lipp), and as showrunner for Jack Barry all those years.[/quote]
Several of us have had the chance to meet Ronnie through the GSC, which he enthusiastically embraced.  The GSC is, in fact, a key factor in him coming here.  Not only meeting but corresponding with one of my idols has naturally been a thrill, and finding out he's as nice a person as you could possibly ask is just a bonus treat.

Ronnie also gave me one of my favorite bits of home-game trivia.  The three players pictured on the box for the two editions of The Who What or Where Game are named Amy, Dan and Janet - the names of Ronnie's three children!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

The Challengers
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 01:06:29 AM »
Bumping this baby in honor of the 20th anniversary of the premiere of The Challengers.

Vahan_Nisanian

The Challengers
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »
The Challengers had such a killer theme song. I never get tired of rocking out to it.

BrandonFG

The Challengers
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 01:17:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'246762\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 01:06 AM\']Bumping this baby in honor of the 20th anniversary of the premiere of The Challengers.[/quote]
An underrated classic. I've said this once or twice before, but it seemed to be the victim of a crowded market when talk shows were becoming popular. If only it had debuted 5 years earlier while daytime games were still big or 10 years later during the big money trivia era...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:17:25 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

The Challengers
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246765\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 12:17 AM\']it seemed to be the victim of a crowded market when talk shows were becoming popular. If only it had debuted 5 years earlier while daytime games were still big or 10 years later during the big money trivia era...[/quote]
There was quite the glut of new games in 1990, wasn't there?
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

The Challengers
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'246768\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 01:31 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246765\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 12:17 AM\']it seemed to be the victim of a crowded market when talk shows were becoming popular. If only it had debuted 5 years earlier while daytime games were still big or 10 years later during the big money trivia era...[/quote]
There was quite the glut of new games in 1990, wasn't there?
[/quote]
That's what I meant...I think there were 5 or 6 new shows in fall 1990, and none of them made it past the first season. Come to think of it, the network games that premiered in 1990 were canceled by 1991 as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Challengers
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010, 01:50:26 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'246768\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 10:31 PM\']There was quite the glut of new games in 1990, wasn't there?[/quote]
It was the nineties, and there was time for it.

/and Klax
//woo PAX Prime Day One tomorrow!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:50:54 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe