Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New ABC Show "Duel"  (Read 3335 times)

Neumms

New ABC Show "Duel"
« on: September 09, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »
This just in from Variety.
I believe Lloyd Braun is the guy who ran Millionaire into the ground, isn't he?

BMaurice06

New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
This looks just as promising as Crosswords.  Hopefully, when choosing a host, ABC will combat what Steve Beverly (or if you will, the Perfesser) calls "the Name Game at work" and hire somebody with a conventional emcee pedigree.

TimK2003

New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'163146\' date=\'Sep 9 2007, 06:39 PM\']
This looks just as promising as Crosswords.  Hopefully, when choosing a host, ABC will combat what Steve Beverly (or if you will, the Perfesser) calls "the Name Game at work" and hire somebody with a conventional emcee pedigree.
[/quote]

Also noteworthy in the article is that NBC had first dibs on the program, but passed because it has a "similar project in the works".

I'll take a stab and predict that "Duel" will replace "Cavemen" when it crashes and burns in mid-to-late-October.

BrandonFG

New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 12:29:02 AM »
Good to see ABC actually going for a game that sounds somewhat engaging, and not the Endemaul library. Sounds a bit like "PokerFace", with equally as much strategery.

/still can't believe they picked up "Show Me the Money" instead
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:29:44 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'163183\' date=\'Sep 9 2007, 09:29 PM\']
Good to see ABC actually going for a game that sounds somewhat engaging, and not the Endemaul library. Sounds a bit like "PokerFace", with equally as much strategery.

/still can't believe they picked up "Show Me the Money" instead[/quote]From what I saw, Duel sounds less interesting, if only for the extra rules. First you bet, then you answer, and if you're wrong, you're out unless you didn't bet enough? Huhwha? The great thing about PokerFace was that it was so simple. Answer questions, psych out your opponents, don't be in last place.

I was hoping there would have another PokerFace tournament this summer. And yet, nothing. *sigh*

Fun Fact: Despite the name, PokerFace actually involved no poker at all.

Second Fun Fact: I really, really, really hate Variety.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:37:35 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 12:37:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'163184\' date=\'Sep 10 2007, 12:33 AM\']
Fun Fact: Despite the name, PokerFace actually involved no poker at all.
[/quote]
Personal Fun Fact: I love the alternate title "ConTest". Would love to see either title used in the US.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'163184\' date=\'Sep 9 2007, 09:33 PM\']
First you bet, then you answer, and if you're wrong, you're out unless you didn't bet enough? Huhwha?
[/quote]
It makes sense to me. They're punishing conservative players, basically. If you're going to jump out to an early lead, and then hang back and bet small, you'd better damned well not miss one. If you're willing to put a little more on the line and risk your lead a little more, you can miss one and still have a chance to climb back into it.

We'll see how it works in practice, but at least this part makes sense to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:31:14 AM »
This "Duel" ABC speaks of sure sounds intresting in the fact that it's a straight-foward Q&A with a mental aspect to it.  If you've seen High Stakes Poker on GSN, that's basically the selling point here & it bothers me a bit.  Just how much is "enough" of a cover does a player have if he doesn't have enough "chips" to work with.  The easy way out here is to "go all in" if you're looking for that knockout punch.  It really should'nt have some complex set of rules regarding bets.  It's either win & move on or lose & go home.  PERIOD.

BTW, ITV announced it's working on a simallar format for the UK.  Pokerface sounds much better right now, though I wonder what NBC will trot out with here.  Haven't we had enough simallar-type shows already this year(first Singing Bee & DFTL, then there's Nothing But The Truth & Amne$ia & now this)?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 11:43:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'163194\' date=\'Sep 10 2007, 12:31 AM\']
The easy way out here is to "go all in" if you're looking for that knockout punch.  It really should'nt have some complex set of rules regarding bets.  It's either win & move on or lose & go home.  PERIOD.
[/quote]
(No, I don't believe I'm asking this either.)

Why's that so easy? That strikes me as a perfectly idiotic strategy, because if you miss, you're DONE. At least if you keep SOME back you can build your fortune back up if you miss one. How much you keep back, though, that's a big game of chicken with your opponents.

So, please, I implore you, sell me on why this is such an obvious and brilliant tactic.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

New ABC Show "Duel"
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'163141\' date=\'Sep 9 2007, 05:45 PM\']
This just in from Variety.
I believe Lloyd Braun is the guy who ran Millionaire into the ground, isn't he?
[/quote]
My mother always wished I could be more like Lloyd Braun.
You should follow me on Twitter