Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Are You Smarter" now looking for contestants  (Read 2638 times)

That Don Guy

"Are You Smarter" now looking for contestants
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:06:14 PM »
(Apologies if this is old news - the board's search engine is flaky at the moment)

Finally, Fox has put a contestant application for Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? online.  However, the last two questions raised an eyebrow; even though an early question asks which, if any, college you attended, you are asked:
    [*]Did you graduate from an Ivy League School?
    [*]Do you know of anyone who graduated from an Ivy League School in the LA area? If Yes, Please list name and contact info if you think they would be interested in the show?
    [/list]
    Something tells me that public university types need not apply.

(Besides, it shows you how much I know - I didn't know there were any Ivy League schools in the LA area...)

-- Don

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:03:45 AM »
    [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'160910\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 06:06 PM\']
    (Besides, it shows you how much I know - I didn't know there were any Ivy League schools in the LA area...)
    [/quote]
    There aren't. Maybe they meant "Do you know anyone in the LA area who graduated from an Ivy League school?"?
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:04:29 AM by whoserman »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
    « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
    [quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'160944\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 01:03 AM\']
    [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'160910\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 06:06 PM\']
    [/quote]
    There aren't. Maybe they meant "Do you know anyone in the LA area who graduated from an Ivy League school?"?
    [/quote]

Methinks other Don was being sarcastic.
    I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:41:50 AM »
    [quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'160946\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 10:31 PM\']
    [/quote]
    See, it's interesting. With people like Chris and Don Howard, you can easily tell when they're being sarcastic. I dunno why it's so hard to spot in others.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:31:23 AM »
    [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'160910\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 09:06 PM\']
    Something tells me that public university types need not apply.
    [/quote]

Odd, since the impression I've gotten is that the producers wanted to exclude contestants who were "too smart" (e.g., former "Jeopardy!" and "WWTBaM" applicants and players).

Steve McClellan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:57:38 AM »
    [quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 11:31 PM\']Odd, since the impression I've gotten is that the producers wanted to exclude contestants who were "too smart" (e.g., former "Jeopardy!" and "WWTBaM" applicants and players). [/quote]
    Um, who said Ivy League grads were necessarily smart?

/See OTUS, P

MrBuddwing

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 03:18:03 AM »
    [quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'160949\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 02:57 AM\']
    [quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 11:31 PM\']Odd, since the impression I've gotten is that the producers wanted to exclude contestants who were "too smart" (e.g., former "Jeopardy!" and "WWTBaM" applicants and players). [/quote]
    Um, who said Ivy League grads were necessarily smart?

/See OTUS, P
    [/quote]

Point taken. But it's still a bit strange to think you have a better chance of getting on "Fifth Grader" if you're an Ivy League grad as opposed to a "Jeopardy!" wannabe.

Brig Bother

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:59:37 AM »
    Well, whose fall from grace is going to be funnier?

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:48:18 AM »
    Globaltv.com now has an application (online or the old school paper version) for the Canadian version and is due at the end of the month.

They'll be taping late September, so at least they're going to be in the can quickly.  No word yet on any host.

And to echo what Brig said, it's along the same line why Anne Robinson enjoys MENSA members on (T)WL.

R.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:30:16 AM »
    [quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'160950\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 03:18 AM\']Point taken. But it's still a bit strange to think you have a better chance of getting on "Fifth Grader" if you're an Ivy League grad as opposed to a "Jeopardy!" wannabe.[/quote]
    They've had several of these very specific contestant searches.  Another was to find a fifth-grade teacher.  As Brig Brother suggested, the goal is the same:  Find someone who sounds like he/she ought to be good at the game but isn't.  They want more contestants like that lawyer who bottomed out on the very first episode.
    This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
    Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
    [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'160959\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 07:30 AM\']
    [quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'160950\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 03:18 AM\']Point taken. But it's still a bit strange to think you have a better chance of getting on "Fifth Grader" if you're an Ivy League grad as opposed to a "Jeopardy!" wannabe.[/quote]
    They've had several of these very specific contestant searches.  Another was to find a fifth-grade teacher.  As Brig Brother suggested, the goal is the same:  Find someone who sounds like he/she ought to be good at the game but isn't.  They want more contestants like that lawyer who bottomed out on the very first episode.
    [/quote]

No kidding.

And they did have a guy who either zeroed out or got $1,000 (depending on your source) from "WWTBAM" on this season.  He was one of the five who were presented with an opportunity to take the Million Dollar Question and one of the four who turned it down for the $500,000 sure thing.

And I can just see it on "TWL":

ANNE:  Nigel?

NIGEL:  Yes, Anne?

ANNE:  Please tell us what organ-EYE-sation you belong to?

NIGEL:  Uh, MENSA, Anne.

ANNE:  And how many questions did you get caw-RECT in the last round?

NIGEL:  Uh, none, Anne.

ANNE:  And so a MENSA member goes on a quiz programme and cannot answer any questions caw-RECT-ly?

NIGEL:  Uh, I never watch "EastEnders," Anne.

ANNE:  And I assume that you have never consulted the dictionary or an atlas, either--with three votes, Nigel, you ARE the Weakest Link--goodbye!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
    « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 03:05:22 PM »
    [quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'160947\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 01:41 AM\']
    [quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'160946\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 10:31 PM\']
    [/quote]
    See, it's interesting. With people like Chris and Don Howard, you can easily tell when they're being sarcastic. I dunno why it's so hard to spot in others.
    [/quote]

You're right. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes you have to read what they say a couple times. At least with Chris and Don, they make it easy for you to see the sarcasm.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 03:05:48 PM by PYLdude »
    I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
    [quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'161006\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 03:05 PM\']
    At least with Chris and Don, they make it easy for you to see the sarcasm.
    [/quote]
    I dunno...I've seen some people get pretty pissy over a Don Howard post. Gives me a second laugh. :-)
    "I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
    « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:43 PM »
    [quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'161011\' date=\'Aug 17 2007, 12:59 PM\']
    I dunno...I've seen some people get pretty pissy over a Don Howard post. Gives me a second laugh. :-)
    [/quote]
    I admit it took me some time to fully tune in Don's sense of humor. Once I got it, his posts became infinitely clearer. :)
    Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
    http://fredsmythe.com
    Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe