Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Merv Tribute on WoF (and Jeopardy?)  (Read 1956 times)

mathwhiz

Merv Tribute on WoF (and Jeopardy?)
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »
I just finished watching tonight's Wheel of Fortune and they had a nice tribute at the end.  They showed a clip of Merv talking about how he developed Wheel and then put on screen text saying "In Memory of Wheel of Fortune Creator Merv Griffin"

I'm recording Jeopardy right now, but I'm expecting a similar clip at the end.

Rich

mathwhiz

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:14:44 PM »
And as I suspected, a similar closing on Jeopardy! was aired.  A clip talking about how the name Jeopardy! came about for the show and text of "In Memory of Jeopardy! Creator Merv Griffin"

Rich

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:26:15 PM »
Yeah I posted about this a few days ago in the Merv Obit thread.  Kind of a nice touch I guess.  King World's promotions manager told stations not to squeeze or have any announcer VO's during the credits.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'160915\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 09:26 PM\']
Yeah I posted about this a few days ago in the Merv Obit thread.  Kind of a nice touch I guess.  King World's promotions manager told stations not to squeeze or have any announcer VO's during the credits.
[/quote]
WBNS 10-TV in Columbus must not care too much about the whims of King World.
Andrea Cambern yammered away through the first half of the Merv clip with a summary of the fluff stories to be expected on their 11pm newscast----three and a half hours hence.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:58:59 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:15:44 PM »
I saw the clip on Wheel. VERY classy, not because it was expected, but for the way they did the clip. I liked that they used a personal interview, which was way more than I expected.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »
In Chicago, WLS probably saw and heard the Merv tribute on "Wheel" (they generally don't squeeze back on that show), but since they can't wait on full crawl days to wait for the split screen to start before promoing the 4 p.m. news, the "J!" tribute probably got cut off.