Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would You Make a Good Host?  (Read 8285 times)

TimK2003

Would You Make a Good Host?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
--How many of you have tried your game under lights? (the first time I did a performance under stage lights I thought I would never see again)
--How many of you have tried to get a game to a set time?
--How many of you have worked in a multi-camera environment?
--How many of you have tried to operate as being just the host, and not the director/producer? (e.g.: it's not your baby)
--How many of you have done this day in and day out instead of one special occasion (e.g.: can you make your 432nd show just as snazzy and energetic as the first)?

With those aforementioned questions, I would have to agree that I would need some additional coaching skills.  

But if I were to host something within a short period of time, I would probably say that right now, something along the lines of Super Password would be in my comfort zone -- something more casual and laid back.

But I would settle for an announcer position as well!  (Every so often, people say that I have a good radio voice -- even before I even admit that I once did do radio.)

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
Sorry I have to rain on the self-delusional parade here, but I held the same beliefs about my abilities. I've written a few games, I've read at least a thousand of quiz bowl matches, I'm usually the MC of company functions, I've done the game show round for 8 years, etc. And I can honestly say without a doubt that I am unqualified to be a game show host, and without some serious training, probably never will be.

But who here actually thinks they will? I don't think anyone actually thinks that a few local shows automatically makes them qualified to host a televised game show. I know I certainly don't.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'159811\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 05:31 PM\']
But who here actually thinks they will? I don't think anyone actually thinks that a few local shows automatically makes them qualified to host a televised game show. I know I certainly don't.
[/quote]
Except a) that's not what you said, like, four posts ago, and b) there are ABSOLUTELY people here who not only think that a few local shows qualifies them, but there are people who think that even less experience qualifies them.

Mike's point is, there are a bunch of people stepping up and saying "Yeah, my family thinks I'm great when we play the Wheel home game in our living room, so I would be a GREAT host!" when most of them don't have a single clue as to what the job actually entails.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:40:59 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
Keep in mind that one of the reasons so many of us think we can do it is that the ones who do it well make it look so easy.  And the delusion is not limited to fans.  I know for a fact that several of the participants in Grand Slam, otherwise intelligent people who've seen the process up close and personal, harbor the desire (and the belief in their own abilities) to be game show hosts.

And not just the obvious ones.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:50:00 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MisterBlue

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »
I'd probably suck at--dealing with people is not my forte.  I'm a nice guy, but that's about it.  You'll get bored with me after half an hour.  I have Asperger's so that's a red flag right there.  Still, I'd love to try out, though.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »
Except a) that's not what you said, like, four posts ago, and b) there are ABSOLUTELY people here who not only think that a few local shows qualifies them, but there are people who think that even less experience qualifies them.

Yes, but saying I have some "experience" and actually making an effort to try and be a host is two different things. I saw Mark's question as a kind  of fun "What skills do you have in hosting," not as a serious question.

I hope.
insert signature here

Gus

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2007, 12:08:55 AM »
I don't think I'd be very good. I'd have the mechanics down pat; I could run the game like a well-oiled machine, but I'd be about as cold as such. I'm not good with the contestant interaction, and, most importantly, I don't think I can relate to my audience, which in broadcasting is absolutely everything.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 02:04:42 AM »
Short answer: Doubtful

Aside from personal appearance and vocal timbre, I have been told that I have issues with speaking/reading in public.  However, give me a job where I'm out of the way for 15 of the 22 minutes, and I think I'd be serviceable.

I'm also pretty decent at memorization, so the mechanics/prompter stuff wouldn't be too bad.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:05:11 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

davidhammett

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 03:17:08 PM »
My response is similar to several I've seen here.  I've had many opportunities to host games in a variety of settings (from game nights to 100-person affairs), and what I've learned both on my own and through  feedback from those whose opinions I value is that I can do a very good job of dealing with the mechanics of the game, leading the players through the format and explaining rules efficiently when necessary.  

However, my "people" skills would need a LOT of work.  It's one thing to host DoND and WWTBAM once a week in each of my classes for 5 minutes at a shot, but the idea of ad libbing and showing a likable personality throughout the game when I'm dealing with strangers eludes (and frightens) me greatly.  I'm happy to have the hosting opportunities that I do have (in my classroom, at parties, etc.), but I'll leave the real deal to the pros (and to those of you who may follow in their footsteps)!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'159776\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 12:20 PM\']

--How many of you have tried your game under lights? (the first time I did a performance under stage lights I thought I would never see again)
--How many of you have tried to get a game to a set time?
--How many of you have worked in a multi-camera environment?
--How many of you have tried to operate as being just the host, and not the director/producer? (e.g.: it's not your baby)
--How many of you have done this day in and day out instead of one special occasion (e.g.: can you make your 432nd show just as snazzy and energetic as the first)?

[/quote]

Points taken.  In my personal, and professional life, I've had to "perform" in front of "an audience" dozens of times, and when I'm "on", I can do a great job (and many people have told me as much).  On days when I'm a little nervous or less confident, I don't do as good a job.  

I really think the only way to get better is to do it more often and take confidence from the times everything falls into place.  

I've also found that if you know exactly what you're doing ahead of time (and know the "language", etc.), run it through your head several times before hand - picture yourself doing it.  It will make it go a lot better when you're doing it live because you've run the situation through in your head many times already and it will feel more comfortable.

Works for me anyway...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

calliaume

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2007, 10:28:51 PM »
Having actually seen a videotape of myself hosting Password in college, I have my doubts.  That aside, I have no problem speaking in front of a crowd (I do it several times a week) or thinking on my feet.

Still, watching me hosting in that pinkish sweater with brown elbow patches and a failed attempt at a mustache -- it's like Chinese water torture.

cweaver

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2007, 11:45:28 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'159677\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 01:28 PM\']
It was there I realized that the easier they make it look the better they are (see Bill Cullen, Peter Marshall, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, Howie Mandell and so on).[/quote]

I was about to make that very remark about Peter Marshall before I read your post.  All anyone has to do is compare the Bert Parks Hollywood Squares pilot to any Marshall show.  Of course Bert had a more successful career earlier but still...Squares was a format dying to break any man not up to the challenge and Marshall did it for 15 years.

As for me...

I played a game show host in a high school play (a fictional show modelled after Truth or Consequences or People are Funny but much nastier) and I bombed.

I deejay'ed on an AM country music station and bombed.  

I hosted my 20 year class reunion...and bombed.

Those are the skills I would've needed to successfully host a game show, not the ones used in my successful eleven years on camera as a local TV news reporter, including the four years as a morning news anchor.  I'm also a pretty good public speaker.  But no one ever asked me to deal with a wheel or what's behind the curtain.

Still I can't say I'd say no, absolutely not if they insisted I would have to be the one to say "No match, board goes back..."  I like to think I'd be able to at least handle that.  Even though, likely so, I would pretty much suck.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2007, 11:57:27 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'160392\' date=\'Aug 12 2007, 08:45 PM\']
Squares was a format dying to break any man not up to the challenge and Marshall did it for 15 years.
[/quote]
Elaborate? It sounds awfully fannish to say this, so I invite you to sell me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2007, 01:12:37 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'160387\' date=\'Aug 12 2007, 10:28 PM\']Still, watching me hosting in that pinkish sweater with brown elbow patches and a failed attempt at a mustache -- it's like Chinese water torture.[/quote] Did you lose a bet or something?
This signature is currently under construction.

LA the DJ

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2007, 02:27:55 AM »
I like to think so. DJing and emceeing various events over the last several years has shown me that I have no problem thinking off the cuff. I also have a pretty good sense of what people watching will and won't find interesting.

I'd love to take a shot at it, and hope that maybe I do someday. My only concern is I'm not sure I have "the look" they're looking for anymore. Then again, Drew Carey gives me hope.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.