Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any news on Temptation US?  (Read 15927 times)

Matt Ottinger

Any news on Temptation US?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'159976\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 11:19 AM\']
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'159934\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 10:35 PM\']
I'll agree that $otC seemed to be a more academic show, but most of its questions were not really that esoteric.[/quote]
Well, $otC has been described (scroll to bottom) as "remedial Jeopardy!"[/quote]
Bizarre coincidence:  The fellow quoted in that article is from the same small town in Michigan as me.  I don't recognize the name, but how odd that two people from Haslett played SOTC.

Still, "remedial Jeopardy" is unfair to a solid quiz show.  Yes, the questions were easier (and the flashy prizes probably struck some as stereotypically game-show silly) but competing against other players in trying to figure out the material and be first on the buzzer, no matter how difficult the questions, is a legitimate challenge.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159980\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 11:59 AM\']
Still, "remedial Jeopardy" is unfair to a solid quiz show. [/quote]

Agreed.  But while SOTC wasn't post-modern enough to give dunce caps to contestants who answered in the form of a question, I wonder if the coordinators and Jim's eye-rolling had anything to do with that snarky nickname.
czambo@mac.com

DJDustman

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159980\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 11:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'159976\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 11:19 AM\']
I'll agree that $otC seemed to be a more academic show, but most of its questions were not really that esoteric.[/quote]
Well, $otC has been described (scroll to bottom) as "remedial Jeopardy!"[/quote]
Bizarre coincidence:  The fellow quoted in that article is from the same small town in Michigan as me.  I don't recognize the name, but how odd that two people from Haslett played SOTC.

[/quote]

There's an episode of Sale floating around the circuit (I have it meself) with his first day (technically second, he was brought back) on the show, he won a Volvo on his first trip to the Winner's Board. Interesting stuff.

davidhammett

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »
The basic game format (as best I remember it) is as follows:
  • Speed Round
  • Instant Bargain
  • Fame Game
  • Speed Round
  • Instant Bargain
  • Knock Off
  • Fame Game
  • Instant Cash
  • Speed Round
[/quote]
Some other details about the above format that are different from what we're used to.  As discussed earlier, the answer to the Fame Game question will be spelled out on the screen for the contestants as more and more clues are read.  However, there is no Fame Game "board"; the contestant who answers correctly earns $15 on the first FG, $25 on the second one.  (Personally, this is my only significant (but still minor) criticism of this version... the FG's "feel" like they're worth too much.)

Also, what I like is that the Super Knockoff, which gives a winner the chance to add $250 to their total before going shopping at the end of the show, allows for the possibility that a player could potentially buy the biggest prize available after only three or four shows.  It's unlikely, since winning the extra $250 requires the player to get all six correct answers (out of 12 choices) without uncovering any wrong ones, but the potential is there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 01:22:28 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160063\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 09:54 PM\']
Personally, this is my only significant (but still minor) criticism of this version... the FG's "feel" like they're worth too much.)
[/quote]Didn't you say that the final Speed Round questions were worth $10 each, though? That lessens the blow of a $25 Fame Game quite a bit.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davidhammett

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 01:32:59 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'160064\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 01:22 AM\']
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160063\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 09:54 PM\']
Personally, this is my only significant (but still minor) criticism of this version... the FG's "feel" like they're worth too much.)
[/quote]Didn't you say that the final Speed Round questions were worth $10 each, though? That lessens the blow of a $25 Fame Game quite a bit.
[/quote]
Somewhat, perhaps.  However, also note that all of the Speed Rounds are 30 seconds, so the effect at the end isn't as great as you might initially think.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 03:40:02 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160065\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 10:32 PM\']
Somewhat, perhaps.  However, also note that all of the Speed Rounds are 30 seconds, so the effect at the end isn't as great as you might initially think.
[/quote]
Oh, even the last one? Point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159946\' date=\'Aug 8 2007, 12:18 AM\']
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'159938\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 11:39 PM\']
Nope... everything takes the form of some sort of "round."  It's not what we're used to, but I don't really feel like it takes anything away from the game.  And, just to confirm, all speed round questions are worth $5 each, except for the last speed round, where they double in value.
[/quote]
I like how this sounds...sounds like they're trying to keep it fast-paced, but it sounds like it works. Makes me even more eager to September.
[/quote]

I do too, I didn't like how (on the Perry $otC) there were always the same amount of questions, and always in the same order (i.e. 4 questions then the Instant Bargain,...)  leading up to the final Speed Round.

Although Perry's show did eliminate that Final 3 Question round where more times than not, the 3rd place player  (and occasionally the 2nd place player) still couldn't take the lead even with a $15 sweep.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 10:20:51 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160063\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 12:54 AM\']
Also, what I like is that the Super Knockoff...since winning the extra $250 requires the player to get all six correct answers (out of 12 choices) without uncovering any wrong ones, but the potential is there.
[/quote]

Sounds like there was a math guy on the producers' side.  ;)
czambo@mac.com

davidhammett

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'160074\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 10:20 AM\']
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160063\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 12:54 AM\']
Also, what I like is that the Super Knockoff...since winning the extra $250 requires the player to get all six correct answers (out of 12 choices) without uncovering any wrong ones, but the potential is there.
[/quote]

Sounds like there was a math guy on the producers' side.  ;)
[/quote]
Actually, I think they've figured out most of what they need on their own.  But I do like the fact that, with the Knockoff round during the main game, contestants' scores will often not be multiples of 5 (thus rendering a $7 instant bargain as more potentially different than, say, an $8 one).  That's the one math element that I was most pleased with.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
The all-30-second Speed Rounds are a bit of a bummer.  Even a small extension would've been nice, but it looks okay as-is.

Is the Instant Cash actually the Instant Cash we remember or is it essentially the Vault (or something else entirely)?
This signature is currently under construction.

davidhammett

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2007, 09:50:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'160125\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 08:57 PM\']
The all-30-second Speed Rounds are a bit of a bummer.  Even a small extension would've been nice, but it looks okay as-is.

Is the Instant Cash actually the Instant Cash we remember or is it essentially the Vault (or something else entirely)?
[/quote]
It's the Instant Cash we remember, although they've chosen to make the top prize start at $500 and go up by $500 for each day it is not won.  Cosmetically, they're using wallets instead of boxes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160135\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 09:50 PM\']
It's the Instant Cash we remember, although they've chosen to make the top prize start at $500 and go up by $500 for each day it is not won.  Cosmetically, they're using wallets instead of boxes.
[/quote]
(waits patiently for someone to complain that it's not nearly enough money to give away, and threaten to boycott the show as a result)

/even though we're the only ones who prolly remember the old Instant Cash segments.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:21:27 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 11:27:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'160137\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 07:20 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'160135\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 09:50 PM\']It's the Instant Cash we remember, although they've chosen to make the top prize start at $500 and go up by $500 for each day it is not won.  Cosmetically, they're using wallets instead of boxes.
[/quote](waits patiently for someone to complain that it's not nearly enough money to give away, and threaten to boycott the show as a result)

/even though we're the only ones who prolly remember the old Instant Cash segments.[/quote]It's not that. With the Vault, a static $15 gets you a punt at $10,000. With Instant Cash, the buy-in varies, and so does the big payoff. I can't imagine someone giving up a huge lead for a 1/3 shot at $500. It will take them twice as long to get to the point where the decision becomes interesting.

(And I've found other things to complain about; Instant Cash is fairly far down the list...) :)
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2007, 11:52:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'160137\' date=\'Aug 9 2007, 09:20 PM\'](waits patiently for someone to complain that it's not nearly enough money to give away, and threaten to boycott the show as a result)[/quote]
Our friend Matthew Lesko will keep them in check. ;-)
-Joe Raygor