Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game PM Question  (Read 10233 times)

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Match Game PM Question
« on: September 20, 2003, 12:15:32 PM »
I happened to be watching MGPM last night.  After a $10,000 win in the Super Match, as the contestant was celebrating, they superimposed the neon \"10,000\" sign and the flashing lights above it on screen.  It look really cool... numbers liiked kinda purple, and the lights looked a little blue.  This is the first time I've seen this on an ep of MGPM... how long did it last??  Just curious...
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

PeterMarshallFan

Match Game PM Question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 12:42:11 PM »
One ep, IIRC. I saw it last time it was aired.

BrandonFG

Re: Match Game PM Question
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
Pardon the nearly 12-year bump. I remember reading this thread back in 2003, and it always stuck in my mind as something I'd like to see. Was wondering would this episode happen to be on Youtube?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:00:21 AM »
Pardon the nearly 12-year bump. I remember reading this thread back in 2003, and it always stuck in my mind as something I'd like to see. Was wondering would this episode happen to be on Youtube?

I know I have the episode somewhere in my VHS collection, but darned if I knew what year and episode they tried the superimposed win on.  If I come across it, I will provide more detailed info &/or a video clip if it hasn't been done already by then.

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
Was this around the beginning of '78 when they were also experimenting with new camera angles, getting shots of the panel and contestants from the area where CNR sat?  They only did this for a couple weeks as I recall, and while I thought it looked interesting, you saw the backs of Richard and the other two female panelists which looked less interesting especially considering Richard was starting to withdraw from the group at this point.

CJBojangles

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that remembered this! I was starting to think I dreamed it or something.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
Was this around the beginning of '78 when they were also experimenting with new camera angles, getting shots of the panel and contestants from the area where CNR sat?
Not sure. For some reason, I vaguely remember when this episode aired back in '03, and I wanna say that GSN was on season one at that point. But I'm going off of a hazy 12-year-old memory.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »

I know I have the episode somewhere in my VHS collection, but darned if I knew what year and episode they tried the superimposed win on.  If I come across it, I will provide more detailed info &/or a video clip if it hasn't been done already by then.

Pardon the 6-month bump, but I came across an episode on a random VCR tape which did the superimposing of the $10,000 sign, along with the chaser lights above it.

Twas a MGPM episode from 1975,
Brian vs. Barbara,
Celebs are Clifton Davis, Brett, Charles, Rona Barrett, Richard and Betty.

Not sure if this episode is available in full on the internet, nor if there is more than one episode where they did the effect, but I can at least confirm an exact episode in which it happened.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:33:58 PM by TimK2003 »

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
Twas a MGPM episode from 1975,
Brian vs. Barbara,
Celebs are Clifton Davis, Brett, Charles, Rona Barrett, Richard and Betty.

There's a show intro from a daily MG '75 airing with that panel, but that's it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the detective work, Tim! :) I imagine the technology looked similar to what TTTT80 did with its intro?

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 11:04:10 PM »
I snapped a photo of the TV.  Here ya go!!!

Was this a short-lived idea from the mind of the late Marc Breslow?

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »
That...that's kinda creepy, yet cool 40 years later. :P Thanks again!

Mr. Matté

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »
Looks like this effect migrated to the daytime show as well. I happened to spot it on the episodes I'm clearing out of my computer here:

It also has the rule where you couldn't pick the same Richard celebrity consecutively in the Head-to-Head match.