The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

GSN Scheduling: Pros and Cons

(1/10) > >>

Jim:
There are two sides to every argument.  I can make either GSN's side or the game show fans' argument and rebut either.  Do any of you agree with any of these points:

1.) ONE SIDE: Sony operates GSN to make money.  They can do whatever they want to with it.  If they think cutting BWO back to one hour works, that's OK
     JIM SAYS: I agree GSN needs to make money.  However, is there really a big ratings drop between the 3:30 a.m. running of Whammy and the 4:00 episode of TTTT?  If so, then cut BWO back.  If not, how about a 3 - 5 BWO?  I can see running infomercials from 5 - 6 because some people are getting up and might bump into an infomercial product they like.  But, hey, don't they run commercials on BWO?  Us B&W fans buy locking pasta pots too.

2.) ONE SIDE: GSN owes you nothing.  You should be greatful they air any B&W programming at all.
     JIM SAYS: Of course I am greatful for any B&W programming.  I would be more pleased, however, with more classic programming.  I will be less greatful to them for less classic stuff.  Gratefulness correlates directly with the amount of time I devote to watching their network.  I do not believe GSN is bending over backwards putting special stuff on in the wee hours of the morning any more than I am bending over backwards giving them my viewing time as opposed to soliciting CNN, Trio, or FX.  If GSN believes they can attract more eyeballs to their station by foregoing B&W stuff, fine.  So far, however, the crowds are not flocking to Wintuition or Funny Money.  I don't even think Friend or Foe is appointment TV for most.  GSN does owe its classic fans something, I believe, because we are probably the only ones who ever discuss the game show channel in ordinary conversation with other people.  References slip out or conversations are overheard referencing GSN.  They should throw us a bone for this loyalty.  I doubt the average Bergeron HS viewer really has any fondness for the network or promotes it with others.  If they can't get Bergeron on GSN, they are just as happy to flip to Mr. Ed reruns.

3.) ONE SIDE: Speaking of Mr. Ed, doesn't GSN have a special obligation to air \"different / rare\" programming you can't get anywhere else?
    JIM SAYS: Remember when TV Land started?  They ranted about bringing the history of television and long forgotten programs to air.  They flashed opening marquees for shows like \"December Bride\", \"Molly Goldberg\", and \"Medical Center\".  Those rarer shows never came.  A few oddities lasted a while.  Pretty soon, it was back to reruns of crap your local independent channel wouldn't touch.  (When I was little, WUAB channel 43 was considered a cesspool for showing junk like Gilligan, Andy Griffith, or Lost In Space.  And, WKBF channel 61 was even worse airing stuff not even in color like Perry Mason, Dick Van Dyke and I Love Lucy - \"Who wants to see that old stuff\"?  Now, one is expected to pay to watch these \"evergreens\".)  We haven't come far.    
     Remember how The Arts Channel was going to make tv a better place?  It ain't gonna happen because it pays for these folks to program to the masses rather than to the entertainment historian.  It sucks, but we are stuck with it.  That said, since GSN isn't exactly reaching top ten status, it wouldn't kill them to turn a little bit more over to the classic stuff and maybe build a little enthusiasm from somebody with a quirky mix of programming.  Reruns of Russian Roulette and Chuck Woolery wandering around a grocery store haven't worked - try a different strategy.

Tim L:
Mostly good thoughts Jim..things to think about..I find it useless to complain much about GSN (Not that you were doing that) There is a network, Goodlife TV that still shows Warner Brothers Private Eye shows and westerns (77 Sunset Strip, Maverick, etc.)..but now are also showing Highway to Heaven, Molly Dodd, Homefront and Welcome Back Kotter..They are slowly moving into newer shows..I still hope that GSN has an ultimate plan even in the Hour B&W Overnight that we dont know about yet..
BTW you must be from the Cleveland Area..I remember the old WUAB 43 (Pre-UPN) and WKBF the original Channel 61  They had a lot of neat programming in the early-mid 70's..Dealer's Choice was on WKBF if recall.

Tim Lones
Canton, Ohio

Don Howard:
Now you've gone and given me a longing for the good old days of the Prize Movie. Remember: \"Is that the tree?\".

Matt Ottinger:
Seems to me this message is only arguing one point of view.  You're basically giving the briefest of acknowledgements to the reality of GSN's situation, then arguing vigorously that they should open up their valuts more anyway.  And your points, like so many others in these threads, are not based on logic, they're based on emotion and personal preference.

In other words, you're basically *starting* with the assertion that GSN *should* run more classic programming, and then working backward from that to prove it.  That's not arguing both sides.

Also, a first-year debate student would tear most of your arguments to pieces.  You make unsupportable statements (\"I doubt the average Bergeron HS viewer really has any fondness for the network or promotes it with others\"), you use unanswerable, rhetorical questions (\"how about a 3 - 5 BWO?\") and best of all, you use examples that prove the opposite point!  You described your old rerun-heavy independent stations as \"cesspools\" and asked \"Who wants to see that old stuff?\"  But without any explanation, you turn around and say that in GSN's case, \"it wouldn't kill them to turn a little bit more over to the classic stuff.\"

I've yet to see any convincing argument from anybody why it would be GOOD for GSN to run more classic programming.  The best I'm seeing is, \"As long as the ratings aren't very good anyway, why not?\" and variations on how they \"owe\" it to their hardcore fans.  GSN has reams of data telling them exactly who and how many are watching their shows.  If that data told them more people were watching The Joker's Wild or Peter Marshall's Squares when they were on the FIRST time -- or at least ENOUGH people were watching to make it worth their economic while -- they'd still be on NOW!   That's how it works!

Tim L:
As much as I would like to say GSN owes classic Game Show fans anything..Truth is, they don't. I am glad they still give us an hour of B&W Overnight come November..I am a fan of the Classics . Some of the originals are better than others..Point is GSN will do what it takes to make a buck..and no whining or complaining is going to make things different.  As Matt said, they know who watches what.  I am concerned about the Video Game Block but like anything else. if it fails it will be gone in a heartbeat..Just wait and see what happens..

Tim Lones

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version