Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Primetime Game Shows This Season...  (Read 7054 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Primetime Game Shows This Season...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 10:02:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'158778\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 06:59 PM\']
If the latter, I liked it better the first time I saw it ... when it was called Friend or Foe.
[/quote]
My PRECISE reaction.

Do we know if this is indeed another pathetic attempt to make the Prisoner's Dilemma interesting?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158779\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'158778\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 06:59 PM\']
If the latter, I liked it better the first time I saw it ... when it was called Friend or Foe.
[/quote]
My PRECISE reaction.[/quote]
As long as we're on the subject, who'd have thought back in 1978 that thirty years later, we'd be playing the least interesting part of Card Sharks -- the part that merely decides who gets to actually play the game -- for TEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 10:40:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158783\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:30 PM\']
As long as we're on the subject, who'd have thought back in 1978 that thirty years later, we'd be playing the least interesting part of Card Sharks -- the part that merely decides who gets to actually play the game -- for TEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!
[/quote]
The same folks who thought that an hour-long game show would be created by something Jack Barry would've created on the toilet.

"Hmm...Star Wars is popular...how about pulling light sabers...FOR A WHOLE HOUR!"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:59:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158783\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:30 PM\']As long as we're on the subject, who'd have thought back in 1978 that thirty years later, we'd be playing the least interesting part of Card Sharks -- the part that merely decides who gets to actually play the game -- for TEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!![/quote]
I humbly offer that "least interesting" is a matter of opinion on that subject. I certainly liked the Card Sharks main game more than the Money Cards, seeing as how it involved something other than blind luck.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 12:54:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158783\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:30 PM\']
[/quote]

I know what your point is, but calling it uninteresting...human nature's always fun! Whenever it comes on around here, we always play along with the questions. The card calling, more of a "you stupid moron!" sort of yelling, but the questions are fine. In fact, when I saw the initial promos for "Power of 10" I was intrigued because I always liked polls. And besides, we saw what the game was like without the questions...eew. You'd have to admit an hour of "higher/lower" for millions would be at least as bad if not worse.

We'd be in full agreement if this were a big money edition of the "Money Maze" preliminary.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 04:50:50 AM »
At least CBS is smart enough to incorporate a main game for Power of 10 that seems to be watchable compared to the drivel of Set For Life's non-showing of the "qualifying round".  Kudos to them for offering a glimpse at what the game might look like based on the promo I saw on its site.

As for Do You Trust Me?, I see some problems here.  How will they deciide how much bank money will be divided up?  At least they have a host which isn't saying much because that's really what we got:  not much details so far.  Still, it sounds like Friend or Foe all over again.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
OK, details on the $10,000,000 question changed from the test game to the taped episode.  The $1,000,000 question is same as the $10,000,000 question.  If you get the $1,000,000 question right, obviously the exact answer is one of those ten percentage points.  You have to find the exact percentage from the ten you chose.

And Do You Trust Me is essentially Friend or Foe for assloads more money.  It's not the exact format, but if you're familiar with Friend or Foe you'll be familiar with Do You Trust Me.

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'158804\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 04:50 AM\']
 At least they have a host which isn't saying much because that's really what we got:  not much details so far.  
[/quote]
Ah, the mind-blowing logic rears it's ugly head once again. I missed you.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'158795\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158783\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:30 PM\']As long as we're on the subject, who'd have thought back in 1978 that thirty years later, we'd be playing the least interesting part of Card Sharks -- the part that merely decides who gets to actually play the game -- for TEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!![/quote]
I humbly offer that "least interesting" is a matter of opinion on that subject. I certainly liked the Card Sharks main game more than the Money Cards, seeing as how it involved something other than blind luck.
[/quote]
And polls and surveys these days is how I make my living, so they're a little more interesting to me than the average person.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'158817\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 11:30 AM\']
OK, details on the $10,000,000 question changed from the test game to the taped episode.  The $1,000,000 question is same as the $10,000,000 question.  If you get the $1,000,000 question right, obviously the exact answer is one of those ten percentage points.  You have to find the exact percentage from the ten you chose.[/quote]

Well, at least it's different, and a little easier than having to answer a new question from scratch with a miniscule percentage.

Would I think people are crazy/ballsy/whatevery enough to risk giving up the mantle of being a millionaire to answer?  No, but at least it's moderately interesting.
This signature is currently under construction.

Gus

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'158817\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 11:30 AM\']
OK, details on the $10,000,000 question changed from the test game to the taped episode.  The $1,000,000 question is same as the $10,000,000 question.  If you get the $1,000,000 question right, obviously the exact answer is one of those ten percentage points.  You have to find the exact percentage from the ten you chose.
[/quote]

So you'd be risking a million dollars for a one-tenth chance to decuple it, rather than a one-hundredth chance? With that, I think, we may see a few more people willing to take that risk, though not *that* many. It does make the possibility of a 10-million dollar payout that much greater, though, if my mental maths are right.

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 01:36:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'158833\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:26 AM\']
So you'd be risking a million dollars for a one-tenth chance to decuple it, rather than a one-hundredth chance? With that, I think, we may see a few more people willing to take that risk, though not *that* many. It does make the possibility of a 10-million dollar payout that much greater, though, if my mental maths are right.
[/quote]
It depends greatly on what the fallback level is (i.e. how much you still take home if you're wrong), but I think they would have to cast utter friggin' idiots with the luck of the Irish to see that attempted.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »
No matter what level you're on, you go back one level.  So if you have $100,000 and go for the million dollar question and lose, you drop to $10,000.  Meaning the final question is a $900,000 risk to go for $9,000,000 more ($100,000 guarantee).

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 01:49:27 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'158838\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:41 AM\']
No matter what level you're on, you go back one level.  So if you have $100,000 and go for the million dollar question and lose, you drop to $10,000.  Meaning the final question is a $900,000 risk to go for $9,000,000 more ($100,000 guarantee).
[/quote]
Hmm. I can MAYBE see that happening, then. I still think they would be idiots, but I can see it.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
If we calculate expected value, it comes out that over a large number of attempts, the net return will be +$90,000, so it would seem like it's an acceptable risk despite this being for the shortest-term.

For "poker odds", you're taking a 1/10 chance of getting a 10:1 payout, which seems fair, but you're also risking 9/10 of your stake on it, which would probably force me to balk on the chance.

If we try put this into context of the game, let's think about this.  Chances are, the 10% range that you set is half above and half below what you think the actual percentage is.  If you're right, then the natural assumption is that your hunch is correct, eliminating some of the "outlier" values, narrowing your range of guesses from 10 to about 5 or 6, provided you're still confident about your original estimate and you aren't so bullheaded as to think you were exactly right all along.  This bumps up your "chance" of winning to a more tolerable level, and almost akin to answering a question on Millionaire.

What does this all mean?  Well, probably squat because humans aren't calculators, but it shows just how difficult the final question still is.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:05:39 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.