Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Advice For Drew Carey  (Read 10024 times)

petek66

Your Advice For Drew Carey
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'158377\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 09:29 PM\']
Tell somebody in charge that putting a moratorium on goofily worded T-shirts would class up the joint again.  I'm not sayin' we need suits and ties and dresses and gloves, but, y'know, just because you're the host and they're the guests doesn't mean it's a frat party.

And, yeah.  You're a host, not a star.  The game is the star.

[/quote]

I think he will be reminded of that daily- I was in the audience for a Mark Steines audition show last March
and Rich Fields introduced him with "... and now here is the HOST of the Price Is Right... Mark Steines!"
Similar to how the Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson became the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 01:08:35 AM »
[quote name=\'petek66\' post=\'158390\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 12:46 AM\']
I think he will be reminded of that daily- I was in the audience for a Mark Steines audition show last March
and Rich Fields introduced him with "... and now here is the HOST of the Price Is Right... Mark Steines!"
Similar to how the Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson became the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
[/quote]

That reminds me.  Now that host has been announced, are we at the liberty to freely talk about the performances of the candidates who auditioned???  I'm quite curious to know the full details.

/Oh wait...I ain't at that other site.  Hehe!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:09:04 AM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 03:13:48 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'158392\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 01:08 AM\']
That reminds me.  Now that host has been announced, are we at the liberty to freely talk about the performances of the candidates who auditioned???  I'm quite curious to know the full details.

/Oh wait...I ain't at that other site.  Hehe!
[/quote]

Wow.  What'd we do to piss you off?

There's a fundamental difference between Golden-Road and this place -- Golden-Road has connections with the show, and occasionally, in order to maintain those connections, and also to guard against potentially being ordered to take the site down, Marc and John have to restrict certain topics of discussion.  This is one of those cases (and truthfully, the only such case I can ever remember) -- a decision was made to try and keep the details of the auditions hushed, and our site was "asked" to comply with that decision.  I have no idea whether or not that ban will be lifted once the site comes back up, but it's not stopping anyone from discussing them here, nor was it doing so at any other point in the last nine months.

The next time you want to snark about something, make sure you actually know what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:14:11 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Just be yourself and roll with the flow.  If the audience likes you, you'll know.

Remember, you are not the star, the show is--and won't it be nice to have the show be the star again?

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »
Be yourself.

Embrace the fans, Don't mind the fanbois. Especially the singing one who is already changing the lyrics in his TPIR Songs to fit your name.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'158427\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 09:45 AM\']
Especially the singing one who is already changing the lyrics in his TPIR Songs to fit your name.
[/quote]
Better yet, get that one fired.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SteveR

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
Remember that the "stars" of the show are the games and, most importantly, the contestants.

He already has shown he respects the show and that's a great first step.

tpirfan28

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 02:30:23 PM »
It's been said multiple times, but it's way too important not to be mentioned again: Be yourself.  Last thing I want to see is an emulated Barker.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'158446\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 02:30 PM\']
It's been said multiple times, but it's way too important not to be mentioned again: Be yourself.  Last thing I want to see is an emulated Barker.
[/quote]
The fact is, "because that's how Bob did it" shouldn't be his reason to do something or his reason not to do something.  He'll need to make the show his own but it still has to be The Price Is Right and not The Drew Carey Plinko Show or Whose Price Is It Anyway?

Do I think he'll find the right balance?  Sure.  Do I have any specific advice for how he can do it?  Not on your life... there's a good reason why he does what he does and I do what I do. :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:41:03 PM by dzinkin »

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 03:05:25 PM »
This isn't for Drew, but will affect his job directly.

Have the current contestant coordinators taken out back behind TV City, blindfolded, and shot. Bring in new contestant coordinators.

/OTOH, 420 jokes will no longer go whooshing over the hosts head.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »
Not advice but a fact of life: when setting up the Range Game, for example, the words "the $150 range finder will move slowly up the scale" must sound as fresh the 10,000th time you say it as it does the first. Same with all of the other games. The showcase setups must sound like it's the first time.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
This is my first time responding to what I think is good news for CBS, TPIR, and many fans wondering when the show will begin anew. I wish Drew the best.

Back on topic, a lot of others said it best. You have to be yourself...and be prepared for adversity. The FIRST thing a lot of people will do is compare you to Bob Barker. Ignore it, and try not to imitate his works. Having your own identity is key.

Another thing previously stated: know when to be funny, and when to be serious. I personally will be turned off if you try to be funny all the time. Play off the contestants.

I hope his experience with "Power of 10" helps. With all that has unfolded, I have a greater interest fot that show.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

davemackey

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158466\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 03:20 PM\']
the words "the $150 range finder will move slowly up the scale" must sound as fresh the 10,000th time you say it as it does the first[/quote]
So, too, does "We can't start it again for 37 hours."

JayDLewis

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'158612\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 04:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158466\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 03:20 PM\']
the words "the $150 range finder will move slowly up the scale" must sound as fresh the 10,000th time you say it as it does the first[/quote]
So, too, does "We can't start it again for 37 hours."
[/quote]

Nah...now he'll ask contestants if they want to lock in that range.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 10:27:24 PM »
One other thing: Always root for the contestant to win, no matter how much you like or dislike the contestant.