Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Advice For Drew Carey  (Read 10023 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Your Advice For Drew Carey
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
This thread is for giving your (unsolicited) advice to the new emcee of The Price Is Right, Drew Carey.

1. Ands-hay off the odels-may, big guy. It didn't work out well for your predecessor :-)

2. TPIR is a game show, not a comedy show. Don't play it for laffs. You're the straight man. Some contestants will bring opportunities for comedy, but most will not. Your new co-stars are cars, refrigerators, P!inko, a litany of other pricing games, and those ever lovin' models. And that guy who says "a new caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!".

3. Put on a disguise, hie thee to Las Vegas and see the live stage show. I'm serious. There will in all likelihood be 750 people who a) know they're not going to see Bob Barker, b) know they're not going to be on national television, and c) the chances of winning anything are remote despite having paid $50 to get in. You will see how much audiences love the show and the games that you will never see in studio 33.

Next, please.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158327\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 06:47 PM\']
Next, please.
[/quote]
4. Do not try and channel Bob Barker. Be yourself. Trying to be Barker could be the worst thing for the show and yourself.

5. Talk to Jay Leno...ask what he went through when he replaced Carson.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:50:46 PM »
6) (since we're counting) Five words that any sports fan has heard until they're sick: One Day at a Time.

Also, 7) try not to be a plank of wood.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:51:32 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 06:55:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'158329\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 06:50 PM\']
6) (since we're counting) Five words that any sports fan has heard until they're sick: One Day at a Time.

Also, 7) try not to be a plank of wood.
[/quote]
are you trying to be funny? Because your posts are making less sense by the day.

7. Study the games. Don't rely on cue cards to get you through the 100 pricing games rules. Don't be that guy.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Then do the opposite.

TonicBH

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »
Despite the audience and Rich Fields are loud and excited as hell, it does not mean you need to shout at the top of your lungs every minute. Keep yourself partially excited but low-key during certain moments.

For the love of everything that is holy, please don't follow Barker's long, excessive pauses to reveal things. If you need to hold suspense, silence can work.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 07:22:44 PM »
8-Understand that it might take a few shows to get into the groove...you don't have to hit it out of the park show #1, just make contact.

and I agree with the person who said maybe limit the game rotation until he gets his sea legs...And I also think he's saying the right things in "respecting the show". If he means what he says, he'll do OK.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »
11. Put your complete faith, trust and confidence in a fellow named Roger Dobkowitz. He's been with the show for all of its 35 years. He knows his stuff.

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 07:34:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158332\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 05:56 PM\']
Then do the opposite.
[/quote]

Exactly!

8. Talk to Bob. Nobody likes a grouch, and this way he can't go on saying nobody asked him his opinion. And maybe the right walk on by the old master would be a charming thing. (I'm thinking Letterman's first show on CBS, in which Tom Brokaw came to take back NBC's intellectual property. Short and funny. Maybe Bob comes and hawls home the "Barker's Bargain Bar" sign, or he could hand Drew the Plinko stick and walk off.)

9. If you skip the rules to the Showcase Showdown and Showcases, that's half a minute of potentially entertaining contestant interaction.

10. See if you can't get somebody at CBS, while you're there, to greenlight a prime-time remake of Match Game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 07:43:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'158341\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 04:34 PM\']
And maybe the right walk on by the old master would be a charming thing.
[/quote]
While it would make me vomit to see it, I'm sure his ego would be right fine with the notion.

"I heartily endorse this product and / or service."

11. If a guy comes at you brandishing a box of Pop Tarts...run.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:45:36 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 07:52:32 PM »
9. If you skip the rules to the Showcase Showdown and Showcases, that's half a minute of potentially entertaining contestant interaction.
Can't cut emcee language, sorry. Thirty seconds of contestant interaction won't buy you much if the contestants aren't worth interacting with.

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 08:23:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158328\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 06:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158327\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 06:47 PM\']
Next, please.
[/quote]
4. Do not try and channel Bob Barker. Be yourself. Trying to be Barker could be the worst thing for the show and yourself.
[/quote]

4-A. Do not try and channel Bob Barker Doug Davidson. Be yourself. Trying to be Barker Davidson could be the worst thing for the show and yourself.

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »
12. If there's one thing you should carry (sorry) from improv, it's that you can look great making the other person look good. That's your job now. Play off the contestant. Just remember, everybody there, in effect, is from Cleveland.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 10:29:49 PM »
Tell somebody in charge that putting a moratorium on goofily worded T-shirts would class up the joint again.  I'm not sayin' we need suits and ties and dresses and gloves, but, y'know, just because you're the host and they're the guests doesn't mean it's a frat party.

And, yeah.  You're a host, not a star.  The game is the star.

And have a good time.
czambo@mac.com

TheLastResort

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »
First and foremost, don't eff up.