Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 20 years ago today  (Read 3200 times)

Winkfan

20 years ago today
« on: September 19, 2003, 05:13:41 PM »
I guess I must be the first one in our stellar group to acknowledge this but.....

Twenty years ago today, CBS launches a new game show entitiled Press Your Luck. And while I've enjoyed the game itself over the years, (including first-run on CBS, and the first repeats on USA) the main reason I tuned in (or taped) when I can was Peter Tomarken! You see, this show marked an immediate 'comeback' for him after his hosting the '13-week wonder' Hit Man on NBC.

BTW, my 'Candid Caption' for this month is in celebration of 20 years of PYL!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Michelina Martel of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

zachhoran

20 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 08:43:38 PM »
Also, though not really a game show, another GSN staple premiered 20 years ago today: Love Connection(and in some markets, Syndie WOF debuted)

GS Warehouse

20 years ago today
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 10:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 04:13 PM\'] Twenty years ago today, CBS launches a new game show entitiled Press Your Luck. ... [/quote]
 Isn't this weekend also the 20th anniversary of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour?  AFAIK, no game show hybrid had ever been attempted before, and no game show hybrid will ever be attempted again due to cross-ownership issues.

zachhoran

20 years ago today
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 10:32:51 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 09:30 PM\']
Isn't this weekend also the 20th anniversary of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour?  AFAIK, no game show hybrid had ever been attempted before, and no game show hybrid will ever be attempted again due to cross-ownership issues. [/quote]
 MGHS hour premiered on October 31st, 1983, so that anniversary is not for six weeks.

DrJWJustice

20 years ago today
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 09:51:23 PM »
Regardless as to when MG/HS Hour's anniversary is, I do wish it would air on GSN.  Sadly, it is highly unlikely that it ever will.

PeterMarshallFan

20 years ago today
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 11:02:41 AM »
Wouldn't we all like to see it again. But it looks like the only way to see it is to tape trade or go to the MTR.

Matt Ottinger

20 years ago today
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 05:14:10 PM »
no game show hybrid will ever be attempted again due to cross-ownership issues
There are probably many good reasons not to try a game show hybrid, but this certainly isn't one of them.  Lots of companies own multiple formats and could simply combine two for which they already have the rights.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

20 years ago today
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 05:18:17 PM »
Is it true that Goodson had actually agreed to produce a standalone HS revival in 1984, but the project fell apart when the Hour was cancelled? I wonder who he would have got to host it....

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
20 years ago today
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 07:54:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 21 2003, 02:14 PM\'] Lots of companies own multiple formats and could simply combine two for which they already have the rights. [/quote]
 That said, don't hold your breath for the debut of \"The Spinoff / Seven Keys Hour\" :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

20 years ago today
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2003, 09:34:44 PM »
That said, don't hold your breath for the debut of \"The Spinoff / Seven Keys Hour\" :)

Oh, that's too bad. Jim Lange and Jon Bauman could have hosted.