Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune wheel configurations  (Read 30795 times)

tvwxman

Wheel of Fortune wheel configurations
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 10:22:17 PM »
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' post=\'156922\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 10:18 PM\']
Perhaps maybe after 32 years it's time to apply inflation to vowels and raise the price to $500.
[/quote]
I absolutely think the price of vowels needs to be upped to a grand. Seriously. When there are 2500 dollar spaces at the start of the show, 250 isn't a penalty for what (IMHO) originally was considered as buying a hint to the puzzle.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Sodboy13

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'156924\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 09:22 PM\']
I absolutely think the price of vowels needs to be upped to a grand. Seriously. When there are 2500 dollar spaces at the start of the show, 250 isn't a penalty for what (IMHO) originally was considered as buying a hint to the puzzle.
[/quote]

I agree with your point here completely; after all, haven't vowels been $250 since top dollar values were 500-750-1000?  Those values have increased five-fold, roughly, and as it's been mentioned previously in this thread, you're now guaranteed to be able to afford a vowel for getting just one letter to light up in the puzzle.  But if come September, vowels suddenly cost $1,000, you'd have a wide majority of the audience left scratching their heads and wondering why, even if Pat trotted out the "adjusted for inflation" logic.  The price of a vowel has become an iconic portion of the game - I'd venture most people know the price of a vowel as well as, if not better than, they know the price of a gallon of milk or gas.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 03:10:40 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'156924\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 09:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' post=\'156922\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 10:18 PM\']
Perhaps maybe after 32 years it's time to apply inflation to vowels and raise the price to $500.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Now THAT is a change that I not only believe would turn some heads, but is also long overdue. If I start the round, I'm sure I'll have enough to buy the whole vowel set in under a minute.

In regards to the $1500 space, there already is one. Granted, it doesn't show until the speed round, but it's there. Besides, there's already been so much other inflation on the wheel (Wild Card, Mystery round, Jackpot space, etc.).

For all those wanting supplementary spaces to the top dollar value, I ask this: If Press Your Luck announced they were doubling all of their under-$1000 spaces, would you watch? Even better, did you watch more Jeopardy! when they doubled their dollar values?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:10:54 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

J.R.

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 08:07:32 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't care if WOF gave away $100000000000003 or 10 cents every day.

For me, WOF is all about the puzzles. I enjoy trying to see if I can get them before the contestants can and the Raygor household, in general, likes to see who in the family can get the most.

So the money is irrelevant to me. As long as I get to solve a bunch of puzzles, I'm a happy wheel watcher (That's why I like the tossups too).

That being said, I agree with whoserman that the wheel layouts from the late 80s-early 90s were perfect.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:27:20 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2007, 09:35:08 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'156942\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 07:07 AM\']
For me, WOF is all about the puzzles seeing Rolf Bernischke. [/quote]
Fixed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:35:20 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'156944\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 08:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'156942\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 07:07 AM\']
For me, WOF is all about the puzzles seeing Rolf Bernischke. [/quote]
Fixed.
[/quote]

I never saw that coming. :-)
-Joe Raygor

Don Howard

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2007, 10:15:53 AM »
How would you feel if the Buy A Vowel rule became $250 for every time the vowel you call appears in the puzzle?

Mike Tennant

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'156949\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 10:15 AM\']
How would you feel if the Buy A Vowel rule became $250 for every time the vowel you call appears in the puzzle?
[/quote]
How would you do that without potentially revealing significant information ahead of time?  If a contestant calls for an E and there are 5 E's in the puzzle but the player only has $1,000, what do you do?  You can't show him only 4 of them, and if you tell him there are more than he can afford, even if you don't give him the exact number, you're still giving away a relatively important fact about the puzzle.  I don't dislike the concept--it's basically the reverse of the win-money-for-consonants rule--but don't see how it can be executed smoothly.

If you're going to increase the cost of a vowel, though, I'd suggest raising the amount gradually rather than all at once.  Maybe start the next season at $500; then go to $750 and $1,000 in subsequent seasons.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:53 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'156948\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 07:06 AM\']
I never saw that coming. :-)
[/quote]
Of course not. I would hope at this point that you expect at least a little creativity with your snark. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'156952\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 11:09 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'156949\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 10:15 AM\']
[/quote]
How would you do that without potentially revealing significant information ahead of time?  If a contestant calls for an E and there are 5 E's in the puzzle but the player only has $1,000, what do you do?  You can't show him only 4 of them, and if you tell him there are more than he can afford, even if you don't give him the exact number, you're still giving away a relatively important fact about the puzzle.  I don't dislike the concept--it's basically the reverse of the win-money-for-consonants rule--but don't see how it can be executed smoothly.
[/quote]
That could be part of the danger of going after the vowels early.
"Sorry, you don't have enough money for the number of Es up there. You keep your money but you lose your turn".
Every incorrect letter guess gives out important information about the puzzle. This way too many of a certain letter would provide this information also.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:17:34 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'156976\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 10:15 AM\']
"Sorry, you don't have enough money for the number of Es up there. You keep your money but you lose your turn".
Every incorrect letter guess gives out important information about the puzzle. This way too many of a certain letter would provide this information also.
[/quote]
Awful idea. Don't ask Wheel contestants to engage in logic games.

Yes, it would spice up the game some, but Wheel is popular mainly because Joe and Jane Idiot can handle it. You complicate it too much for them, they will stop watching.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'156983\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 01:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'156976\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 10:15 AM\']
[/quote]
Awful idea. Don't ask Wheel contestants to engage in logic games.

Yes, it would spice up the game some, but Wheel is popular mainly because Joe and Jane Idiot can handle it. You complicate it too much for them, they will stop watching.
[/quote]

You say that as though it would be a bad thing.

If Wheel's ratings go down a bit because the idiots are no longer watching, but the show stays on the air and smartens itself up somewhat, then hey, I'm a happy camper.

(And if it did get cancelled...hell, I don't watch it that much anymore, anyway, so no skin off my back.)

clemon79

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2007, 03:33:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'156993\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 12:23 PM\']
You say that as though it would be a bad thing.

If Wheel's ratings go down a bit because the idiots are no longer watching, but the show stays on the air and smartens itself up somewhat, then hey, I'm a happy camper.
[/quote]
I don't think it would be "a bit". And if you think the contestant selection process would change one iota, you're not thinking. And you know how painful it is to watch someone play a game badly.

wheelloon

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
I, personally, am not opposed to upping the vowel "charge," and frankly, I thought it was assuredly gonna happen about 5 or 6 years ago, when the bonus wheel came in, and during the very short time 10k was on the wheel in round 4.

However, $250 for a vowel is an iconic part of the show, no doubt, and if it's changed, people will definitely notice. Many may even expect if the cost to buy a vowel will increase, the values on the wheel will also increase, the center of our discussion.

I have a simple solution, that even Joe and Jane Sixpack can keep up with. For rounds 1 and 2, keep the vowels at $250, then in round 3, have Pat give short explanation that since the values on the wheel have been increased substantially since round 1, vowels are now increased to $500. Have him note that there are 2 $1k spaces on the Wheel in Round 3 (mystery wedges). Then, to appease those who'd want some more compensation on the wheel itself, throw a single $1500, $2k, or $2.5k space on the wheel in round 4, and say done.

That should be enough to make everyone happy. As for ppl who would complain, in the most drastic monetary change, where in round 4 (which 4/5 times turns into the speed round after about 2 or 3 spins anyway) a $300 was replaced with a $1500 (as opposed to replacing an 800 or 900, which would be a lot less drastic), the wheel's average value in Round 4 would go from 740.48 to 797.62, a mere $50 more, that will 4/5 times be of consequence for less than a full round...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

tpirfan28

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:18 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'157006\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 04:16 PM\']
I, personally, am not opposed to upping the vowel "charge," and frankly, I thought it was assuredly gonna happen about 5 or 6 years ago, when the bonus wheel came in, and during the very short time 10k was on the wheel in round 4.[/quote]They did WHAT!?  Can someone elaborate how they pulled that off?  $5K in round three?

I have a simple solution, that even Joe and Jane Sixpack can keep up with. For rounds 1 and 2, keep the vowels at $250, then in round 3, have Pat give short explanation that since the values on the wheel have been increased substantially since round 1, vowels are now increased to $500. Have him note that there are 2 $1k spaces on the Wheel in Round 3 (mystery wedges). Then, to appease those who'd want some more compensation on the wheel itself, throw a single $1500, $2k, or $2.5k space on the wheel in round 4, and say done.
Too complex.  Either keep 'em at $250 the whole way or jack 'em to $500 the whole time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:20:41 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"