Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rain on Barker's Parade  (Read 5596 times)

alfonzos

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »
He's an entertainer, not a saint. Still, it's sad when it has to end this way. He's going out the way Godfrey did; not with with class, as did Carson.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Card Shark

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
How reliable is this source?

It's unlikely the network will take Barker up on his offer to return, no matter how well his farewell specials have scored with fans.

How reliable is this statement? I would think that if they can't decide on a host soon, CBS will have no other choice other than starting season 36 in September of 2008.
Adam Strom

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
It is my sincere wish that none of our resident fanb0iz is ever put in the position of having to choose between commiting perjury and keeping their jobs.

MikeK

• Martha!
Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' post=\'155078\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 02:26 PM\']I'm well aware more people have spoken, meaning they all have the same intentions. I don't worship any other human being, including one whose innocence seems to outweigh the negative over a long period of time.[/quote]
Line of the Day.  Wait, you were serious?

Something which hasn't been mentioned are the images' captions.  I lol'd at the caption for the top image on the third page.

tyshaun1

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'155080\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 02:41 PM\']
He's an entertainer, not a saint.
[/quote]
Nobody ever said different; my problem is that Barker really tries to come across as one when it's clear as day that he ain't.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'155089\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 12:42 PM\']
Nobody ever said different
[/quote]
Oh, I disagree. There are LOTS of people around here who have said different.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155052\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 10:36 AM\']
This is stuff that should have come out into the public eye LONG ago, and I for one welcome our Barker-exposing overlords applaud Chris Mann for doing it.
[/quote]

QFT.

Gread read (the article, not Chez Lemon :P ) and I can't wait for the book to come out.  When you don't have that ego check, like Dorothy Jo was purported to be, that's not a good thing.

ITSBRY

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:06:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' post=\'155078\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 02:26 PM\']
I'm well aware more people have spoken, meaning they all have the same intentions. I don't worship any other human being, including one whose innocence seems to outweigh the negative over a long period of time.
[/quote]

I met Mr. Barker backstage last year and believe me, once the cameras are off and the audience is gone, he's not the guy you see on TV.

I'm not saying I saw him peel his skin away and eat a small child or anything, but TV-Bob isn't a real person. I think the entertainment industry is just as much of a fantasy world for the performer as it is for the audience. Take a guy who already has an ego; add 35 years of CBS treating him like he's God, and what do you think you'll get?

Everyone involved will spin the story to make themselves look good, so you'll never know for sure what the 'real' story is, but I think it's fair to say that Bob is probably not 'innocent'. Having said that, I don't enjoy Price any less because of these allegations and I don't look at Barker as a "bad" host because of them. Whether the allegations are true, untrue or a combination of the two, he's great at what he does and the show will not be the same without him.

After all, plenty of a-holes are good at their jobs, right? :-P

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'155170\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 05:06 PM\']
Whether the allegations are true, untrue or a combination of the two, he's great at what he does and the show will not be the same without him.

[/quote]
If we were having this discussion five years ago, I would agree with you. But I think the spot where we fundamentally differ is in your claim that he's great at what he does. Because, in my opinion, and mine only, over at LEAST the last five years, he wasn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 01:35:14 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155172\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 08:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'155170\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 05:06 PM\']
Whether the allegations are true, untrue or a combination of the two, he's great at what he does and the show will not be the same without him.

[/quote]
If we were having this discussion five years ago, I would agree with you. But I think the spot where we fundamentally differ is in your claim that he's great at what he does. Because, in my opinion, and mine only, over at LEAST the last five years, he wasn't.
[/quote]
Which, ironidentally, the show became really intolerable (for me) about five years ago. I know Barker's ego prolly wouldn't have allowed it, but TPiR should've started sporadic auditions on-air. Honestly, I would've recorded on some of the live shows and kept those as auditions just in case.

Now CBS has their pants around their ankles with the new season three months away. No one to blame but themselves. October of 2006 was still too late for them not to have a replacement groomed.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 10:09:34 AM »
I had once made the suggestion, shortly after the 1st prime time eps did really well, that a good way for Bob to go off into the sunset would be to semi-retire him to a prime time weekly edition, and bring in new blood on the daytime show. That way, everybody's a winner: Bob gets his 50 years, the show gets new blood, CBS gets a profitable primetime hour of programming to go up against Millionaire, and Les Moonves doesn't have a predicament on his hands in Summer 2007.

Nobody ever listens to me.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'155186\' date=\'Jun 15 2007, 01:35 AM\']
Honestly, I would've recorded on some of the live shows and kept those as auditions just in case.
[/quote]

Actually, they do record the live shows.  Why they evidently aren't being used as auditions is beyond me.

HYHYBT

Rain on Barker's Parade
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 10:02:43 AM »
Perhaps they are, and they don't like what they see?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages