Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rosie on CBS at 11?  (Read 8692 times)

Jimmy_1

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:55:07 AM »
CNN Headline News reported Rosie O'Donnell has been negotiating with CBS for a daytime talk show to air opposite The View.  The allaged sticking point is Rosie wants $20 million (don't know for how long) and CBS is offering $10 million.  That would bump TPIR from its current slot if these plans come into being.  Has anyone else heard about CBS's negotiations with Rosie, and would CBS be willing to move or drop TPIR if they reached an agreement with Rosie to host a show.

Jimmy Owen

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
Anything is possible in today's TV world.  What might happen is CBS could move Price to its old time slot of 3pm with stations having the option of running it at 10am, bumping GL or they could take back an hour of daytime and not cancel anything.  I think the fate of Price rests with whomever they find to host the show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
Tell me if this is profitable, and if so, feasible?

With a new host, the show might be a lot to handle...so maybe consider going back to the original half-hour format, and use that. Then again, the Showcase Showdown is as big as a cultural icon as the show itself, and trying to do a two best scores would be a little too much.

But I said all that to suggest letting the host learn the ropes for a bit, and give CBS a chance to do another half-hour game, perhaps one of the more successful shows from last summer's Marathon.

/Is that even saying much?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »
I believe I heard that comment about Rosie broadcasting opposite *The View* as well (this was on Nancy Grace's show, correct?).

There are so many rumors out there surrounding O'Donnell's future (this morning on *Weekend Today,* a pop culture "expert" claimed O'Donnell could be in the running for a late-night chat show on one of the networks) that I would just play wait and see.  She's probably going to take about a year off to be with family and work on her other interests -- I would expect to hear something by the end of the year on her TV future, but not now.

As far as moving or canceling TPiR -- IIRC, I remember reading that CBS must decide by the end of this month whether to renew *Guiding Light*.  If CBS opts to end *GL,* then the possibility of CBS asking affiliates to air TPiR at 10 and a new show at 11 is a possibility.

PYLW

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 02:08:24 PM »
Why does this scream "David Letterman in 1980" to me?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 02:08:53 PM by PYLW »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'153450\' date=\'May 26 2007, 12:24 PM\']
Anything is possible in today's TV world.  What might happen is CBS could move Price to its old time slot of 3pm with stations having the option of running it at 10am, bumping GL or they could take back an hour of daytime and not cancel anything.  I think the fate of Price rests with whomever they find to host the show.
[/quote]
Not if it gets moved.  If the time slot changes, then CBS pretty much gives the death knell to Price, and all the hype that's been built up gets wasted as viewers will probably turn away from two shows (Price and whatever goes in at 11)
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy_1

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'153459\' date=\'May 26 2007, 01:39 PM\']
I believe I heard that comment about Rosie broadcasting opposite *The View* as well (this was on Nancy Grace's show, correct?).[/quote]

Yes - I heard this on Nancy Grace.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 09:09:41 PM by Matt Ottinger »

Matt Ottinger

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'153461\' date=\'May 26 2007, 02:08 PM\']
Why does this scream "David Letterman in 1980" to me?[/quote]
I can't imagine, the two situations are radically different in just about every respect.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 09:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy_1\' post=\'153484\' date=\'May 26 2007, 06:32 PM\']

Yes - I heard this on Nancy Grace. [/quote]

Just curious if there's another source other than the Wicked Witch of the South breying about this. (or was it on their little news ticker?) I've come to the point where I generally assume the opposite of whatever that shreiking harpy may claim or state.

snowpeck

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 10:12:45 PM »
Here's what one article has to say:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269355,00.html

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »
Hate to say this, but If Fremantle can't find a host soon for TPIR it may be over.  Barker reruns can't go on much past October.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

fishbulb

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 12:10:31 AM »
Actually, I think Barker reruns could go on for years.
I haven't watched TPIR since Barker's ego got bigger than the show around the early '90s.
The only thing that could get me to watch again would be a new host, but it's possible that CBS intends to just run Barker reruns indefinitely.  They might get higher ratings than a new host would, and would be cheaper (I assume).

Chelsea Thrasher

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 12:42:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'153498\' date=\'May 26 2007, 10:14 PM\'] Hate to say this, but If Fremantle can't find a host soon for TPIR it may be over.  Barker reruns can't go on much past October. [/quote]

Actually, they've got 35 years worth of episodes already produced and in the can.  Even if you assume 50% of the first ten years is unairable due to furs, you've still got an extensive amount of episodes that can be ran. If they wanted to, they could run classic episodes for a good few decades, and compared to Price with a new host, there are probably a lot of people who wouldn't mind a bit.  

Now whether that's actually anything approaching a reasonable idea for a broadcast TV network in 2007, is another story.  But they've got enough in the can they could rerun the show ad infinitum and be fine.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:50:41 AM by Seth Thrasher »

HYHYBT

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 02:54:50 AM »
The Price is Right, more even than most trivia-based shows, depends on being current. Sure, you *can* play along to a 20-year-old episode, but guessing how much something cost a possibly-unknown number of years ago isn't the same game, and most of the fun comes from the novelty (if you'll pardon the word) of it, seeing how much the show has and hasn't changed, pricing games/models/announcers that are gone, etc.

(and... If Rosie really loves TPIR, and IF she really is trying specifically to get herself a new show *on CBS at 11AM*, what does that mean?)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Card Shark

Rosie on CBS at 11?
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'153498\' date=\'May 26 2007, 11:14 PM\']
Hate to say this, but If Fremantle can't find a host soon for TPIR it may be over.  Barker reruns can't go on much past October.
[/quote]

They can't find a host? Well, they've only had since October, right? So, then what happens if they don't decide on someone by the end of June when they're supposed to start taping for the next season? Could be the longest stretch of reruns ever. Another semester of reruns? Don't get any ideas, Zach. Ah, the good old days with that and AFIKJAMES. Speaking of which, after having searched for stuff on him on google, I found this. It appears his name is Afi K. James. Either way, it still sounds like a dumb name. I had always been under the impression that the whole title was his first name.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:28:23 PM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom