Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bingo returns to TV  (Read 3487 times)

alfonzos

Bingo returns to TV
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:43:01 PM »
Daily Variety reports that ABC is jazzed about adding Bingo to its prime time lineup. For some reason I can't add a link. Here is the URL: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796111...yid=14&cs=1
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »
Bingo??? In prime time???  Well, they at least they got a host who is used to watching paint dry.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:10:13 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:12:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'148202\' date=\'Mar 14 2007, 05:54 PM\']
Bingo??? In prime time???  Well, they at least they got a host who is used to watching paint dry.
[/quote]
Two gold stars.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »
Pardon my french...but...what the hell?  Have we seriously run out of good things to put in a Friday slot on a national network?  I'm sure a rerun on "You're in the Picture" would get higer ratings.  Or "The Rich List".

I'm actually saddened that Endumball isn't a part of this.  Some of their stunts would be interesting on this show.... :)

/has that play-on-words been used yet?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'148202\' date=\'Mar 14 2007, 02:54 PM\']
[/quote]
No more calls, please, we have a winnar!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'148209\' date=\'Mar 14 2007, 06:16 PM\']
Pardon my french...but...what the hell?  Have we seriously run out of good things to put in a Friday slot on a national network?  I'm sure a rerun on "You're in the Picture" would get higer ratings.  Or "The Rich List".

I'm actually saddened that Endumball isn't a part of this.  Some of their stunts would be interesting on this show.... :)

/has that play-on-words been used yet?
[/quote]

My play on words with the company has simply been a change in spelling but not pronunciation..."end 'em all"..

Matt Ottinger

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'148202\' date=\'Mar 14 2007, 05:54 PM\']
Bingo??? In prime time???  Well, they at least they got a host who is used to watching paint dry.[/quote]
Very nice.  Line of at LEAST the month.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:53 PM »
I hope it's better than the short-lived 1987 fiasco, Satellite Bingo...though as long as they don't get Desi Arnaz Jr. to appear as a guest caller, it should be fine. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Allstar87

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:40:44 PM »
Satellite Bingo, there's a new one on me. How's that one played?

brianhenke

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:46:54 PM »
Remember when Pittsburgh had TV bingo in the mid-1980s? Or TNN's Money Mania, which I didn't get to see?

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

DjohnsonCB

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 02:05:32 AM »
I certainly like the idea of ABC letting PC owners print out the necessary cards.  Too bad there wasn't anything this conveinient back in the mid-1960s when Kansas City had a "TV Bingo" game on M-F and we always had to go to certain grocers or gas stations in Missouri to get the free cards.  We lived on the Kansas side where some stupid law prohibited their distribution, and my father was forever grousing about the "endless miles" he had to drive to get to one of those Missouri places.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »
If lottery-based game shows that are even moderately interesting (at least the Powerball incarnations were to me) can't stay on the air, how can anyone expect a nearly-straight Bingo game to be any better?

You know what would be good on Friday nights?  That one game show they used to have a few years ago.  You know, the one with that guy from that talk show that had a girl on it with the guy.  I hear it was really good.
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'148295\' date=\'Mar 15 2007, 12:53 PM\']
If lottery-based game shows that are even moderately interesting (at least the Powerball incarnations were to me) can't stay on the air, how can anyone expect a nearly-straight Bingo game to be any better?[/quote]

Lottery is one thing, bingo another. You need to have some sort of hook for a bingo game show to work (Lingo, where it's a combination of words and bingo). Otherwise, it's nothing you can't go to your local church/boys and girls club/wherever and see for free without a host or other elements.

You know what would be good on Friday nights?  That one game show they used to have a few years ago.  You know, the one with that guy from that talk show that had a girl on it with the guy.  I hear it was really good.

Huh?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Yogi007

Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 01:12:12 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148296\' date=\'Mar 15 2007, 12:58 PM\']

Huh?
[/quote]

I think he was "attempting" to be funny.  If that was the case, I don't think it worked.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bingo returns to TV
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148296\' date=\'Mar 15 2007, 09:58 AM\']
Lottery is one thing, bingo another. You need to have some sort of hook for a bingo game show to work (Lingo, where it's a combination of words and bingo). Otherwise, it's nothing you can't go to your local church/boys and girls club/wherever and see for free without a host or other elements.
[/quote]
Yeah, but people don't like leaving the house, or sitting in what could be a smoky bingo hall (depending on what state you live in).

Mind you, I think it's a lousy concept for a host of other reasons, but this isn't one of them.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe