Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $otC Questions  (Read 3075 times)

J.R.

$otC Questions
« on: September 15, 2003, 12:11:28 AM »
I've had these couple of questions in my head for a while

What was the highest one-day achived score earned in the main game ?(As in the score on the podiums)

Did anyone ever attempt to go for the lot (In any of the 3 formats) and failed ?

Why did they make that swich to the \"Winners Big Money Game\" ? (My guess is budget pressure from NBC)

Why did they decide to remix the theme in 1988 ? (I do like the 1988-89 theme better, IMO)

Thanks !
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

TheInquisitiveOne

$otC Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 01:22:17 AM »
I'd be glad to try my best to answer a question from one of my biggest $ale contributors!

What was the highest one-day achived score earned in the main game ?(As in the score on the podiums)

Funny coincidence...I have just negotiated a trade which includes an episode where a contestant gained $140 in the main game...and for her troubles, she won $122,000. I believe that this is the highest main game total on $ale unless someone else can prove me wrong.

Did anyone ever attempt to go for the lot (In any of the 3 formats) and failed ?

Why don't we ask Alice Cartwright? One of the biggest Shopping winners started her run by dethroning someone else who risked to go for the lot. Also, I believe that someone was iced from a chance at $50,000 during the WBMG era during 1988s \"Trick or Treat\" week. I will have to get back with you on others who went for the lot and failed during the \"Winner's Board\" era.

Why did they make that swich to the \"Winners Big Money Game\" ? (My guess is budget pressure from NBC)

Clearly NBC's work. The network had to slash the budget when they realized how big the payout could be. I believe that NBC immediately switched to the Winner's Board format in 1984 after Barbara Phillips became the first contestant to clear the lot and won over $125,000 in cash and prizes. After seeing many contestants clear the Winner's Board (which is about $110,000 a pop - definitely NOTHING to sneeze at), NBC must have decided to switch the format AGAIN so that the chance at $100,000+  was there. HOWEVER, the $50,000 could only be attained after winning the 8th WBMG, whose opportunity can only present itself AFTER winning the car in the 7th WBMG. Serious budget killing led to a noncogent format which led to $ale's unfortunate death. This is only a theory of mine, but remember that the Aussie version of $ale stuck with Shopping for over a decade then switched (and stuck) ot the \"Winner's Board.\" That is one of the perks of syndication: no network pressures.

Why did they decide to remix the theme in 1988 ? (I do like the 1988-89 theme better, IMO)

Well, with the new bonus format and Don Morrow's replacing Jay Stewart (via retirement) and with the progression of time, I think that they decided to dust the cover off of this show and that the original theme was getting antiquated. So, Marc and Ray Ellis revamped the theme with a more modern (and 80s) flavor. I hope that is right.

I hope I helped. If anyone else wishes to correct whatever errors are present, please have at it.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

zachhoran

$otC Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:10:02 AM »
Barbara Phillips' win was in August 1983. The WInners' Board format began a little over a year later.

Recall too that the SYndie version that began in January 1985 had the shopping format AFTER the NBC run converted to the WInner's Board format(come September 1985, the second syndie season had the Winners' Board format)

WorldClassRob

$otC Questions
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 12:34:36 AM »
In the Winner's Big Money game, as far as I know at least two made it to the $50,000 prize level, and one of them won it with 1 second left on the clock (the contestant got the first puzzle quickly with Clark Kent, had trouble with the Dodgers and people whose last name is Rogers, and solved the last puzzle involving Ireland as time was about to expire).  That happened in the summer of '88.

TheInquisitiveOne

$otC Questions
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 01:19:40 AM »
In the Winner's Big Money game, as far as I know at least two made it to the $50,000 prize level, and one of them won it with 1 second left on the clock (the contestant got the first puzzle quickly with Clark Kent, had trouble with the Dodgers and people whose last name is Rogers, and solved the last puzzle involving Ireland as time was about to expire). That happened in the summer of '88.

I see...it was a combination of sheer difficulty and obscure facts. There you go Zach - the mystique that is the $50,000 WBMG.

Thanks for the info, WC Rob! As much as you know about that certain episode, I hope you know someone who has it...

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

ChuckNet

$otC Questions
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 07:13:09 PM »
This is only a theory of mine, but remember that the Aussie version of $ale stuck with Shopping for over a decade then switched (and stuck) ot the \"Winner's Board.\"

And even then, their WB was truer to the shopping format: numbers from 1-12, w/each of the 6 prizes represented by two numbers (no one-number prizes or \"WIN\" cards), and after matching a prize, you had to choose between taking it and leaving, or coming back on the next show. Also, they kept the cash jackpot, unlike the flat $50K offered after the format switch over here.

As was earlier pointed out, you can see how network interference slowly killed even a great show like this.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

J.R.

$otC Questions
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 06:13 PM\'] And even then, their WB was truer to the shopping format: numbers from 1-12, w/each of the 6 prizes represented by two numbers (no one-number prizes or "WIN" cards), and after matching a prize, you had to choose between taking it and leaving, or coming back on the next show. Also, they kept the cash jackpot, unlike the flat $50K offered after the format switch over here.

As was earlier pointed out, you can see how network interference slowly killed even a great show like this.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 And, beacause their verison is a bit more tougher. That cash jackpot can get quite steep. One ep I have has it clamed at $292,000 ! (Not sure where it starts though). I do know it increases $2000 every ep it's not claimed.

New Zealand did this format too, but with NO Cash jackpot ever.
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
$otC Questions
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 08:01:40 AM »
At least in the early-'90s Aussie $ale started their jackpot at $50K, adding $2K/day.
@lambertman

trustno1

$otC Questions
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 04:53:45 PM »
I think I can help you.
The cash jackpot started at $A50,000 and increased $A2,000 every night.
The highest ever win was about $A678,000, of which $A508,000 was cash.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats