Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1958 Concentration shows  (Read 3594 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'146543\' date=\'Feb 21 2007, 07:29 AM\']
Barring something more substantial than "I forget by whom," Britgirl is probably best off not wasting her time going that route.  Why would the FCC have that authority in the first place, never mind actually do it?
[/quote]
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a little attribution on that myself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'146547\' date=\'Feb 21 2007, 10:18 AM\']
Not sure if "Concentration" was affected as the original never was in syndication and Victory Television distributed the Narz version. For some strange reason Victory also got a distribution credit on the Trebek version.
[/quote]

Victory had the license to produce, distribute and merchandise "Concentration," as Lorne Michaels' Broadway Video has (or partially has) the license to produce, distribute and merchandise "Saturday Night Live," both NBC properties.  They chose to assign production to Goodson-Todman or Mark Goodson Productions, but it was still their property to assign, as NBC had assigned it to them.  The fact that "Classic Concentration" was on NBC was no doubt due to the network having first call on any version of the show, but it may've been possible that Victory could've sold the show to someone else or put it in syndication if NBC wasn't interested.

That relationship seems to have ended, since NBCU has "Concentration" on its list of formats for overseas sales.  There haven't been any new "Concentration" licensed items for a couple of years (slot machines, most likely), so I don't know if Victory's name would still appear on licensed items.

Britgirl57

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
FYI on the progress of my search - I am awaiting a reply from NBC to my e-mail regarding the existence and whereabouts of the early episodes of Concentration and I am currently frantically trying to find someone who can remember the exact dates of my father's appearances on the show, which may end up being the biggest obstacle (of many!) to me achieving this goal. Watch this space.....!

clemon79

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Britgirl57\' post=\'146653\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 07:54 AM\']
I am awaiting a reply from NBC to my e-mail regarding the existence and whereabouts of the early episodes of Concentration and I am currently frantically trying to find someone who can remember the exact dates of my father's appearances on the show, which may end up being the biggest obstacle (of many!) to me achieving this goal. Watch this space.....!
[/quote]
I hope I'm wrong, but I think getting past the NBC stonewall is going to be a bigger problem for you than figuring out when he was on. Because I just don't see them being willing to dub this off, even if you *could* produce an airdate.

But, again, I do hope I'm wrong.

tvmitch

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146656\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 11:41 AM\']
I hope I'm wrong, but I think getting past the NBC stonewall is going to be a bigger problem for you than figuring out when he was on. Because I just don't see them being willing to dub this off, even if you *could* produce an airdate.

But, again, I do hope I'm wrong.
[/quote]
Now that I'm working at an NBC affiliate, what I wouldn't give to find a back room of old film reels with some of these shows...but our station never kept anything like that. Some of the old newscasts are fun to watch though.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'146657\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 08:45 AM\']
Now that I'm working at an NBC affiliate, what I wouldn't give to find a back room of old film reels with some of these shows...but our station never kept anything like that. Some of the old newscasts are fun to watch though.
[/quote]
One of the things I regret not doing when I was a the TV station was to go through the tape graveyard...if I remember correctly we had a BOATLOAD of old WML's back there, but I have no idea which version it was or if there were any rarities. I'm gonna guess there was some Classic Concentration, too, since my station was, for a little while (prior to me being there, of course; I was still in high school) in the strange position of running CC because the local NBC affiliate didn't want it for some reason.

PeterTomarkensGal

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 04:03:18 PM »
How about 1970-71 eps of the show, particularly from "Teen Week" or "Kids Week" or whatever it was called? Any status of the existence of those? Is it possible that those are at the LoC?

Am DYING to know!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterTomarkensGal\' post=\'146809\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 04:03 PM\']
How about 1970-71 eps of the show, particularly from "Teen Week" or "Kids Week" or whatever it was called? Any status of the existence of those? Is it possible that those are at the LoC?

Am DYING to know!
[/quote]

I know there's at least a week from 1971 in UCLA.

Can't remember if they're available for viewing, however.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Britgirl57

1958 Concentration shows
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 01:27:07 PM »
I talked to someone at the UCLA archive as part of my particular quest and all I know is that they have no episodes of Concentration before 1963 and those that they do have can only be viewed on-site. I didn't ask about later episodes but their phone number is: 310 206 5388 if you'd like to ask them yourself.

I'm also not clear whether or not the LoC has later episodes in its NBC archive, but since I have to talk to them again this week I'll ask and let you know. Watch this space....