Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Women Who Changed Game Shows  (Read 8557 times)

Kimriffic

The Women Who Changed Game Shows
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »
Lol - why, thank you!  I may be just an amateur game show fan, but a lot of things on GSN just don't make a lot of sense to me.  But I am glad that GSN is around, because without it, I wouldn't get to see any of them.  So...whatever.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 12:13:49 PM »
I think a few of you took the title a little too literally.  Honestly, the only woman I can think of who truly changed game shows was probably Lin Bolen, and I'm not sure we need to go there.  The acceptance of women as hosts happened so gradually that I don't think you could point to Arlene Francis, Sarah Purcell or even Betty White and say that any one of them changed the way we look at these shows.  This was just "some of the women who were on game shows," which doesn't sound quite as catchy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 12:23:33 PM »
I didn't see or tape the show.  Any mention of Jaye P. Morgan?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 12:53:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144815\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 09:13 AM\']
This was just "some of the women who were on game shows," which doesn't sound quite as catchy.
[/quote]
Nobody will say you didn't try, sir.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SteveR

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'144709\' date=\'Jan 27 2007, 12:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'144385\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 03:45 PM\']
Looks like Vanna's involved. If she's in, so should Susan Stafford.

And if Arlene Francis, then Kitty Carlisle too.

And, just for fun, Brett Somers and Jaye P. Morgan.

And a Fannie Flagg 'customized' T-shirt.
[/quote]
How did these women change game shows? Yeah, they're competent models and panelists, but they basically showed up and did what they were supposed to do.[/quote]Wasn't making my own judgment on any of that -- simply following what looked like GSN's criteria. (Of course, I totally zoned out that the show was even on this past weekend)

That's why I used the if...then approach.

Frankly, other than a scant few, I doubt there are enough to do a quality hour on the subject.

Wait. Forgot. This is GSN. Scrap the 'quality' part.

cweaver

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 12:07:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Kimriffic\' post=\'144811\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 12:04 PM\']
But come on, the way they worked PlayMania in there at the end was ridiculous. Shandi changed game shows? Give me a break.
[/quote]

I don't think they were really trying to suggest Shandi, Kennedy, Tyra, etc.  changed game shows as much as the women who had already been mentioned up to that point having paved the way for them.  I specifically think, for instance, the special was trying to suggest Vanna paved the way for Shandi, as she has such an active speaking part on Lingo.

Who was the longest running female host before Meredith Viera?  Wasn't it...Vicki Lawrence?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »
Longest running before Meredith?  Summer Sanders, I believe.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kimriffic

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 12:36:13 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'144985\' date=\'Jan 31 2007, 12:07 AM\']

Who was the longest running female host before Meredith Viera?  Wasn't it...Vicki Lawrence?
[/quote]

I really dont' know details about who was the longest running, who won what awards, etc.  But I do know that she was one of the first, not to mention how many games she was on.  She narrated, but wasn't even mentioned.    I dunno, I guess I just expected it to be about more than 4 women (or 6 or whatever).  The first 3 women I think about gameshow-wise are Betty White, Vicki Lawrence, and Kitty Carlisle.  Then of course there are a lot more, but I think I just saw those 3 a lot.  Whatever, it's GSN.  Next thing you know they'll do a special called "Commercials that aired during game shows".