Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "High Rollers" fonts/colors (1978-80)  (Read 8843 times)

RJSchex

"High Rollers" fonts/colors (1978-80)
« on: February 03, 2007, 03:54:41 AM »
For two recently uncovered Trebek-hosted "High Rollers" episodes, I have made a series of seven screenshots.  Each screenshot displays one of the different fonts that the show used for the numbers in each game.  Each of these was taken from the 12/4/79 and 3/20/80 episodes, recently shown on PageOClips.

The seven pictures I took can be seen at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heatter_Quigley

in the "Photos" section, in a folder marked "The Many Faces of High Rollers".  (NOTE:  you must join group in order to access photos.)

Here are the fonts in each photo:

December 4, 1979 ep.
*NBC News Font
---based on a custom-designed font used by NBC News and NBC Sports in the early 70's.
*Clearface Heavy
*Advertisers' Gothic
*Stack (Big Numbers)

March 20, 1980 ep.
*Revue
*Futura Black (Big Numbers)
*Eurostyle Heavy
(NBC News Font and Advertisers' Gothic were also used on this episode, but with the 6 and 9 swapped in each font.  First game featured ITC Machine; with the 6, 7, and 8 not shown.)

Also on PoC, the episode from March 27, 1979 was shown recently.
Its fonts (in order):
*ITC Machine
*Pistilli (Big Numbers)
*Advertisers' Gothic
*Pump Tri-Line
*Plaza Inline

PoC also has the episode from December 31, 1979; all I've seen of it is one clip--a main game featuring elderly contestant Jane Baker, who has an awkward habit of ringing in too early and answering "yes" to every question; nonetheless, she ends up winning.  Pump Tri-Line was the font in that game.

In addition, there are three episodes I have on videotape.  Here are the font lists from those episodes.

May 19, 1978--with ultra-lucky contestant Gene Snook
*Superstar (3, 5, and 8 not shown)
*ITC Serif Gothic Bold
*Sapphire (Big Numbers)
*Clearface Heavy

February 28, 1980
*Eurostyle Heavy (only the 2 and 7 appear)
*Pistilli (Big Numbers)
*NBC News Font
*Pump Tri-Line
*Yagi Bold (?)
*Gill Kayo (Big Numbers)
*Superstar

June 20, 1980--the finale (Rumor removed by moderator. -DZ)
*Stymie Extrabold (only 2, 5, 8, and 9 showing)
*ITC Machine
*Sapphire (Big Numbers)
*Yagi Bold
*Superstar
*Pistilli (Big Numbers)

More snapshots will be on the way, eventually.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:59:42 AM by dzinkin »

Gus

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'145172\' date=\'Feb 3 2007, 03:54 AM\']
(Rumor removed by moderator. -DZ)
[/quote]

I don't quite understand how this wrongness keeps managing to spread itself when it was definitively demonstrated, quite a while ago in fact, that it has no element of truth to it whatsoever.

In regards to the listing of typefaces, I actually think that's a cool idea. I'd always thought that was a fun idea that the numbers were in different typefaces for every game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'145184\' date=\'Feb 3 2007, 10:34 AM\']
I don't quite understand how this wrongness keeps managing to spread itself when it was definitively demonstrated, quite a while ago in fact, that it has no element of truth to it whatsoever.
[/quote]
Have you SEEN some of the bozos we have around here?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

RJSchex

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:32:16 PM »
Back to original topic

The heading makes mention of colors in addition to fonts.  In the original message, I didn't mention what colors were used.

Basically, the principal colors used were:

*red
*orange (sometimes appears more as a deep red-orange; examples include the 7 in "NBC News Font" and the 6 in "Stack")
*yellow-orange
*yellow (usually appears quite pale)
*chartreuse (yellow-green)
*green (sometimes appears slightly bluish)
*blue (very light)
*lavender (looks more like gray)
*hot magenta
*carnation pink (almost looks like white)
*peach (somewhat rarer)

The episode from 3/20/80 had somewhat washed-out video; the colors on those three photos look somewhat duller.  Also, on my videotape copy of the 6/20 finale, the video is too grainy; therefore, I couldn't make out the colors used for the 2, 5, 8, and 9 on the "Stymie Extrabold" font.

By the way, I just took a look at the homepage of Yahoo!'s "Heatter_Quigley" group; today, an amazing *13* members have joined the group thus far.  Must be to see these pictures, I guess.  (If you'd like to use any or all of these pictures on your own website, be it an HR site or not, please feel free to do so.)

dzinkin

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:47:59 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145205\' date=\'Feb 3 2007, 08:32 PM\']
Back to original topic
[/quote]
Oh, so close!  I'm sorry, but we were looking for "I'm sorry and I won't do that again."

(Side note to all: the group RJSchex is promoting is another Aaron Handy III production.  Make of that what you will.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145205\' date=\'Feb 3 2007, 05:32 PM\']
Back to original topic
[/quote]
Seeing as you were the one who chose to resurrenct the (false) rumor that got things off-topic to start with, you're in not much of a position to make demands.
By the way, I just took a look at the homepage of Yahoo!'s "Heatter_Quigley" group; today, an amazing *13* members have joined the group thus far.
Mmm. Yeah. Amazing.

(Advil. Please. From anyone.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145205\' date=\'Feb 3 2007, 08:32 PM\']
Back to original topic
[/quote]
Take hints much?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GameShowGuru

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:52:15 AM »
I actually watched High Rollers primarily to see the many different number fonts and colors.  And some IMO looked really "wierd".  The one most memorable font was one that all the numbers had these swirls, even the 7 (the 7 would have this "backswirl" where the 7 ended).  Does anyone besides me remember this weird font?

The other font that was my favorite was "Peugeot" (which I nicknamed the "Mary Tyler Moore" font), from which I remember the wierd looking 3s and 5s.

FWIW, I learned addition watching High Rollers; between my new-found math skills and the colorful numbers and fonts, I thought the show was better than Sesame Street.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
One of the more memorable HR number/font sets of mine is when they did a board full of Roman numerals!

I only recall them doing it once...perhaps as an April Fool's stint???

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:37 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'190900\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 12:52 AM\']
The other font that was my favorite was "Peugeot" (which I nicknamed the "Mary Tyler Moore" font), from which I remember the wierd looking 3s and 5s.[/quote]

Peignot. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GameShowGuru

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'191099\' date=\'Jul 16 2008, 10:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'190900\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 12:52 AM\']
The other font that was my favorite was "Peugeot" (which I nicknamed the "Mary Tyler Moore" font), from which I remember the wierd looking 3s and 5s.[/quote]

Peignot. :-)
[/quote]

And that too.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:20:07 AM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145172\' date=\'Feb 3 2007, 03:54 AM\']For two recently uncovered Trebek-hosted "High Rollers" episodes, I have made a series of seven screenshots.  Each screenshot displays one of the different fonts that the show used for the numbers in each game.  Each of these was taken from the 12/4/79 and 3/20/80 episodes, recently shown on PageOClips.

The seven pictures I took can be seen at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heatter_Quigley

in the "Photos" section, in a folder marked "The Many Faces of High Rollers".  (NOTE:  you must join group in order to access photos.)

Here are the fonts in each photo:

PoC also has the episode from December 31, 1979; all I've seen of it is one clip--a main game featuring elderly contestant Jane Baker, who has an awkward habit of ringing in too early and answering "yes" to every question; nonetheless, she ends up winning.  Pump Tri-Line was the font in that game.[/quote]

Well FWIW, the entire New Year's Eve episode mentioned has been uploaded on YT, I'll set up a new thread to this effect in the appropriate forum.  The remaining fonts I observed are (and since I don't know one of them by its formal name, I have to assign it a nickname based on TV show titles that I know the fonts were used in--get ready to laugh)

"What's Happening!"
Yagi Bold (Big Numbers)
Superstar

There's also a March 1979 episode now on Youtube; the fonts used on that show were:
ITC Machine
Pistilli (Big Numbers)
Advertisers' Gothic
Pump Tri-Line
Plaza Inline (numbers were put up, but "time's up" bell immediately rang thereafter).
I'm glad to be re-living my childhood again, in some respects..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:43:24 PM by GameShowGuru »

Allstar87

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'236735\' date=\'Mar 3 2010, 02:20 AM\']"What's Happening!"[/quote]

The What's Happening font is Pythagoras, also used on TPIR's Clock Game. You can download it here.

Fedya

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »
Damn you, Game Show Guru, now I'm going to be humming the What's Happening!! theme all night.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
Not sure of the exact font, but I do remember on one of Trebek's runs of HR, they used Roman numerals on the board.  I can't remember if it happened around a specific event (April Fools Day,...) or if they just did it out of the blue.