Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slide show of hosts  (Read 9027 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 01:25:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'143829\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 01:10 AM\']
What makes this whole 'discussion' absurd is that you're asking everyone involved to use the same definition as you are, and clearly that's not happening. Even worse, the definitions being used have so many exceptions that they stop becoming rules. I know where I draw the line as to what a game show is, and what ain't, and unless presented with overwhelming evidence and the threat of physical harm to my carcass, I'm going to stick by it.[/quote]

As would I, which is the point that I think has gotten lost here. My definition of a reality show differs from yours, as I'm sure it differs from others. Granted, my criteria are different (and admittedly a little confusing), but they still help me form my opinion.

And another thing: the phrase "reality show" is a complete lie. None of the situations posed are "real" in the least. Have any of you been marooned on an island where you voted people off of the island instead of say, gutting them for organ meat? Or being presented with twenty-five nubile lasses who will unashamedly throw themselves at you for the possibility of a promise of marriage?

No. None of this is real in the least. I'm happy to make a division of competitions and "other," because for the most part I don't watch the "other." This isn't "Hey, isn't Pat O'Brien a great guy?" (and yes, he really is!) because we're all in on the joke. This hasn't been funny for years. All we're doing is spinning the wheels and sinking in mud. After all, in the end, what do we get out of any "solution" to the question?

I was waiting for someone to say something about the term "reality show" being a lie.

What do we get out of the "solutions," as you so put them? Other than discussion fodder, nothing. Will someone come out and give a true definition of what a game show must entail? Not really, because we all have our opinions one way or another. The truth is, as long as someone has an opinion on the matter (regardless of whether it's a well-thought out one or one that is illogical), the discussion will continue. I've made my point, and won't expand on it any further. But who's to say that someone else won't have something to say about the so-called "solutions?" You can't stop people from having opinions, no matter how misguided, thoughtless, or smart they are (speaking generally here, of course).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:25:49 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2007, 01:29:32 AM »
Oh, oops. I didn't mean for that to be directed at you, it was more of a general musing. If by your own admission, your criteria are confusing, wouldn't you want to try to refine your thesis? It's your own dime, to be sure, but I always try to do that whenever I take a position.

(I suppose the whole bit about squashing the open exchange of ideas was silly, but you never know, if the moderators say enough is enough, then it is in fact enough. I doubt it will ever come to that, though.)
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2007, 01:34:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'143832\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 01:29 AM\']
Oh, oops. I didn't mean for that to be directed at you, it was more of a general musing. If by your own admission, your criteria are confusing, wouldn't you want to try to refine your thesis? It's your own dime, to be sure, but I always try to do that whenever I take a position.
[/quote]

You're right, I shouldn't have assumed that was directed at me. I should have been a little more clearer on which criterium (right?) I admitted might have been a little confusing (the snippet one), as well, just so it didn't look like I was just throwing things out there like Craig Karlberg.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

uncamark

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'143829\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:10 AM\']
What makes this whole 'discussion' absurd is that you're asking everyone involved to use the same definition as you are, and clearly that's not happening. Even worse, the definitions being used have so many exceptions that they stop becoming rules. I know where I draw the line as to what a game show is, and what ain't, and unless presented with overwhelming evidence and the threat of physical harm to my carcass, I'm going to stick by it.

And another thing: the phrase "reality show" is a complete lie. None of the situations posed are "real" in the least. Have any of you been marooned on an island where you voted people off of the island instead of say, gutting them for organ meat? Or being presented with twenty-five nubile lasses who will unashamedly throw themselves at you for the possibility of a promise of marriage?[/quote]

Perhaps the proper term should be "unscripted," since none of these shows involve paid actors reading lines--but then we could argue about that.

Another thing is that the term "reality" is used to apply to so many things, from shows like Sundance's "One Punk Under God," which is essentially a documentary series about the life of Jim Bakker's lip-studded, tattooed preacher son, to fly-on-the-walls like "Cops," to makeover shows like "Extreme Makeover:  Home Edition," which is a document of an arranged house construction, to Penn & Teller's Showtime "BS!" show, which is more like an opinionated comedy newsmagazine, to the competition shows like "Survivor"/"Amazing Race" etc. to the talent shows like "Idol"/"Dancing"/"One That I Want."  Some of it may be more based in reality than others, (although all bets are always off whenever cameras are involved).  "Reality" has just become a lazy term to describe anything that's not a bunch of actors working off a script on a set or people sitting around chatting on a set.

alfonzos

Slide show of hosts
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2007, 03:14:26 PM »
Uh oh. Here is another slide show: Top Twenty Hosts

The person doing the ranking confuses the quality of the show with the quality of the host. There is someone very notable missing from the list and that is just a crime against nature!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Slide show of hosts
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2007, 03:32:13 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'143872\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:14 PM\']
Uh oh. Here is another slide show: Top Twenty Hosts

The person doing the ranking confuses the quality of the show with the quality of the host. There is someone very notable missing from the list and that is just a crime against nature!
[/quote]
Welcome to the party. Apparently you missed out on the hors d'oeurves.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe