Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if Price Is Right had been slotted at 10 a.m. in its debut?  (Read 3085 times)

chrispw1

I was wondering how different history might be if Price Is Right had been slotted at 10:00 a.m. lead off slot where from what I understand its clearances weren't as high. Would it have lasted as long as from what I understand Joker's Wild and Spin-Off weren't cleared in as many markets. Also, I wonder how its clearance was in 1975-77 when it was on at 10:00 ET as I don't think it was as bad a slot by then and since it was established by then more stations were probably willing to clear it.

Jimmy Owen

What if Price Is Right had been slotted at 10 a.m. in its debut?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
There would have been no difference.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:46:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chrispw1\' post=\'142000\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 02:46 PM\']
I was wondering how different history might be if Price Is Right had been slotted at 10:00 a.m.[/quote]
10am New York time, you mean, yes?
If so, Celebrity Sweepstakes would have been cancelled sooner or not moved from its midday time period.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »
It might have gotten off to a slightly slower start, because there were a number of stations that didn't clear the 10 a.m. slot live...but once the show's ratings started climbing I don't think history would have changed much.  I read somewhere that Joker's Wild was considered the "weakest" of the three at the time, and look how long it lasted.  It wouldn't have been a problem for Price.

...and with that, you've just read my 2000th post.  Hopefully at least some of them have been interesting reading!

\I heard that...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'142015\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 03:09 PM\'] It might have gotten off to a slightly slower start, because there were a number of stations that didn't clear the 10 a.m. slot live...b
[/quote]

But would the show's ratings have started climbing in the first place had the show not been in the more-heavily-cleared time slot?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:15:59 PM by Seth Thrasher »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
If it didn't catch on a 10, CBS would have moved it to 3pm within six months.  No wait, they did.

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:39:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chrispw1\' post=\'142000\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 02:46 PM\']
I was wondering how different history might be if Price Is Right had been slotted at 10:00 a.m. lead off slot where from what I understand its clearances weren't as high.
[/quote]

Today's world would be one of panic and hysteria. The streets would run with lava. Rapping Dragons would bring terror to the skies. Cats and dogs would live together in harmony. And worst of all, there would be no Pat 'O Brien.

Seriously, I don't think a lot would change.

\Has anyone mentioned that Pat's a great guy?
*Indecipherable screaming*

mmb5

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
Joker's Wild actually had an 85% clearance rate in Feb. of 1975, so I don't think there would be much of an issue.  In *most* cases, it was a medium size market that yanked a show (in Joker's Wild's case, that would include Dayton, Syracuse, Binghamton, Shreveport, Des Moines, Tulsa, Jackson [MS], Omaha, San Antonio, etc.).  The huge ones didn't knock them out because they were O&Os, and the smaller ones didn't knock them out because it would often be too expensive.  You were more likely to get a Central Time Zone pre-emption than any other, mostly because of the 9 AM thing.

In doing research of old TV stuff, I think we would all have drooled over Great Falls, MT.  They had no NBC station, so the CBS station actually picked up 5 of the 6 NBC shows, missing only High Rollers, and was nice enough to try to have them away from the ABC station's shows.  So instead of having to make choice after choice, only 3 slots had conflicts.
9:30-HS (CBS)
10:00-Jackpot (CBS)
10:30-Blank Check (CBS)
11:00-Celeb Sweep (CBS)
11:30-LMAD
12:00-Pyramid
1:00-TPIR
1:30-MG
2:00-Tattletales or Moneymaze
2:30-Wheel of Fortune (CBS)
3:00-Gambit
3:30-NYSI or Big Showdown
4:00-Joker or Split Second
5:00-Password All-Stars

Most surprisng in the usual two station markets, where it was CBS and NBC, the one show cleared most often from ABC other than sports would be Password.  Even in 1975.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »
Viewers of KQTV in St. Joseph, MO would have seen it at 3:30 PM from the first or second day, Kansas City viewers would have had to try and pull in in from either Topeka or St. Joseph to see it at all, and the eventual afternoon move would have been the best thing that ever happened to it in terms of being granted clearance in Omaha and Des Moines.

Then again, in Des Moines it took 19 years for "Days Of Our Lives" to get cleared, LMAD never played there as a daytime show until the aborted NBC morning revival in the late '80s, and the only reason "Family Feud" eventually got cleared on WOI-TV was because I gave a virtual asskick to the clueless Program Manager they had then, combined with the fact that it was starting to catch on everywhere else.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 09:38:39 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »
What I wonder is whether or not there would have been a Match Game '8x on CBS if Match Game '7x hadn't lost the 3:30pm ET slot.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 09:45:54 PM by Don Howard »

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:49:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'142066\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 10:45 PM\']
What I wonder is whether or not there would have been a Match Game '8x on CBS if Match Game '7x hadn't lost the 3:30pm ET slot.
[/quote]
Well, we sort of did have one, just without the '8x.  The show ran another year and a half in the 4:00 time slot.  I'm just wondering who thought reruns of All in the Family made sense in the daytime.

My understanding was that Joker was considered the least of the three shows.  Given the other two production companies had reasonable track records and Barry had been out of the game for nearly 15 years, that seems logical.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »
Though I was not happy when AITF knocked out a game show slot on CBS, I guess I can understand the logic. At the time of its arrival on the daytime lineup in 75, it had been the No. 1 primetime show every season from 71-72 on.  It was sorta the first chip in the deconstruction of afternoon game shows and broke the pattern of having at least one game show in every half-hour of network daytime.

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 03:39:28 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'142082\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 10:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'142066\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 10:45 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, we sort of did have one, just without the '8x.  The show ran another year and a half in the 4:00 time slot.[/quote]
Yes, Curt, but not on CBS as I posed the query. Plus, 4pm ET clearances were the pits. Once the move to 11am ET happened, the downhill slide began.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »
Well, we sort of did have one, just without the '8x. The show ran another year and a half in the 4:00 time slot. I'm just wondering who thought reruns of All in the Family made sense in the daytime.

According to Steve Beverly, All in the Family actually ranked No. 2 in the daytime ratings (behind Match Game) the first season it aired.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 10:12:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'142118\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 08:52 AM\']
Well, we sort of did have one, just without the '8x. The show ran another year and a half in the 4:00 time slot. I'm just wondering who thought reruns of All in the Family made sense in the daytime.

According to Steve Beverly, All in the Family actually ranked No. 2 in the daytime ratings (behind Match Game) the first season it aired.
[/quote]

It was definitely a popular rerun to air - aired for nearly four years - from December 1975 to September 1979 (when it hit syndication, of course).