Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 VS. 100 card game  (Read 5260 times)

Bob Zager

1 VS. 100 card game
« on: December 21, 2006, 06:49:14 PM »
I was surprised today, while shopping at TRU, to come across a 1 VS. 100 card game, from Cardinal Industries!  

It comes in the same carrying case as their DOND card game, and the game is structured like their DOND card game, where randomly drawing a card determines how many mob members, "answered incorrectly."

There is a pad of paper, showing a grid of 100 silhouettes (you cross off the appropriate number of silhouettes as game progresses), the money tower (showing the levels of amounts on each question), and a table to record the number of players who "answered wrong," by the corresponding money amounts.

Slightly off-topic, I also noticed a neat video trivia system called Game Wave.  This is even better than the Buzztime Trivia video system launched last year.  The GW uses DVD technology, not cartridges, and different types of games are available, that make it as fun as game shows.  The regular price is $99.99, but is on sale at TRU right now for $49.99!!

Sodboy13

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32:19 PM »
If you've ever played NTN/Buzztime trivia at your watering hole of choice, I strongly recommend picking up the Game Wave.  I bought one a few weeks ago at TRU for $80 (and yes, now I feel ripped off, ah well, I'm over it) and it's worth every penny.  You get the system, 4 remotes (batteries included, no less) and a game called 4 Degrees.  It plays better than all of the oft-maligned (and rightfully so, from what I've read) DVD games, as the player also has software specially designed to play these games.  And more importantly, a small amount of internal memory keeps track of the questions already played, ensuring no repeats.  I picked up a pair of extra remotes for $20, and more games can be found online for $20 a pop.  It ain't a PS3, to be sure, but for trivia geeks like myself, this might be the best new system of the year.  Oh, and it's also a fully-functional basic DVD player to boot.

The site, BTW, for those really interested, is playgamewave.com.  That just made me feel like a cheap and dirty pitchman, but whatever.  I really enjoy this system and want to see it take off.

Oh, and in case you encounter the Official Buzztime Home Trivia System in your shopping travels (I saw it for $30 at Target,) stay away.  Thing sucks the chrome off a fender.  Text only-graphics, the accuracy of the remotes is dodgy, and it apparently has a tendency to start repeating questions in the second or third game.  But that probably all got covered long before I started poking around this board.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

deknaj

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:26:11 AM »
I saw it tonight at Target and now am wondering if there is a board game in the works for it like there is for DOND

MrGameShow

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:01:45 AM »
I bought the Game Wave too, and it's a fun little system for groups to get together to play. The games are great graphically (think Scene It quality), and the fact that you have up to 6 players using remotes is a great feature. Hopefully the company will bring out some better titles in the future as the game play in concept is a little lackluster.

Can any of the people that have picked up the 1 vs 100 card game actually post a picture or two of it's contents? I'm curious to see what it's all about.

Bob Zager

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
I don't have any equipment to scan and post pictures myself, but here is a link to an eBay item, showing the backside graphics of the game (sorry, no contents pictured).

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-MONEY-OR-THE-MOB-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sodboy13

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »
Okay, I blew 10 bucks on this, simply because I wanted the case as a prop for a prject I'm working on, and I'm always for getting my hands on some general-knowledge trivia questions.

With apologies to Matt Ottinger, I'll steal the format from the GSHGHP and give you the rundown.

Contents:
- 80 Question Cards, 5 questions on each (400 questions total)
- 20 Mob Cards
- 1 Score Pad, for crossing out mob members and tabulating winnings
- Instructions

Game Play:
One player serves as host, the other as contestant.  The contestant picks a number between 1 and 5, and the host will read that question off of each card (as was done for the "Lightning Round" editions of Password.)  If the player answers correctly, he/she draws one of the "Mob Cards" to see how many mob members got the question wrong.  

"Mob Card" values are as follows: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30.

The host then multiplies the number drawn by the question value to determine the amount of money won that round.  

The money tree for the game follows the original version:
$100, $250, $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, $5,000, $6,000, $7,500, $10,000.

The multiplication is actually printed on each card for the host.

After each question, the player is given the choice of taking "The Money or The Mob," with the knowledge that a wrong answer will cost him/her everything.  Play continues until 1) The player takes the money; 2) The player answers incorrectly; or 3) The player successfully answers 12 questions, regardless of mob members remaining (more on that below.)

Multi-Player Variation: Players rotate roles of host, contestant, and mob members.  If a player answers incorrectly, his/her winnings are split up by the mob.  After everyone has had an equal amount of turns in each role, the player with the most total money is the winner.

Differences to TV Show:
First off, there is no $1,000,000 grand prize.  If you answer 12 questions correctly, it's game over, automatically.  If you knock off all 100 mob members before reaching the 12th question (quite likely, given the numbers on the Mob Cards,) the game instructs you to keep playing regardless, up to that 12th question.  That pretty much eliminates the whole point of the Mob in the first place, turning this into a game of random, escalating money values.  As for the helps, there are two, which were clearly an afterthought; the game instructs you to either Ask The Host, or Phone A Friend (!).  IMs are also encouraged.  Yeah.

Comments:
Just a couple of tweaks could have made this game infinitely more playable, and hopefully will be taken into consideration for any future versions.  First off, most obviously, the $1,000,000 grand prize for eliminating the entire mob should have been included, and the idea of playing on anyway after the mob is completely gone upends the entire premise of the show.  Secondly, the random nature of the "Mob Cards," while arguably necessary, detracts from the game with its imbalanced distribution of numbers.  Put into terms of probability, there is a 55% chance you will knock off at least 10 mob members on a question, and a 30% shot that you'll knock off at least 20.  Having multiple cards with single digits, and adding in a "zero" card would bring things back down to earth a bit.  Third, all three of the helps from the show could have been implemented here: "Ask The Mob" would require the host to simply eliminate one wrong answer; "Trust The Mob" could be pulled off by placing a 1, 2, and 3 after each answer, reflecting the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most popular answers among mob members.  "Poll The Mob" would be altered slightly, using the same 1-2-3 system: The player asks the host about one answer, and the host says whether that answer ranked 1st, 2nd, or 3rd among mob members.

The entire package smacks of rushed production.  Not only is the game packed in the same case as DoND (when shiny suitcases have factored into "1 vs. 100" well, um, never,) but the plastic insert inside used to hold the cards is also the same.  One problem with that: this game doesn't have the larger-size "case cards" that DoND does; therefore, half of this game's cards won't properly fit in the case.  This is clearly an effort by Cardinal to quickly push out a product that can ride the coattails of the success of "Deal or No Deal;" then again, perhaps a similar statement can be made in regard to Endemol and its production of the show upon which this game is based.

If you're really interested, I'll post pics of the contents later.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'143368\' date=\'Jan 15 2007, 02:25 PM\']
If you're really interested, I'll post pics of the contents later.
[/quote]
Just a heads-up, since I see you're still new...post them to a photo hosting site i.e. Photobucket...pics can't be uploaded here directly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 08:31:57 PM »
I realize it would be actual work, but it seems like the game would be greatly improved by having a specific "wrong Mob members" number attached to each question, based on asking (shock!) an actual group of 100 people beforehand. As it is, it's like playing Can You Beat Ken? and determining whether or not Ken got the question right by flipping a coin.

(My suggestion doesn't account for the reduction in number of Mob members after each question, but the sufficiently nerdy can whip out a calculator and put ratios to work if they want to get closer to the "right" number, and the rest of the world won't care.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

itiparanoid13

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »
This is one of those games which does not work well in board game form, I have a feeling..  I think it has potential to be an awesome computer game, but not board game.  

If you haven't checked out the King.com 1VC game, you really should.  It's extremely nice.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:38:53 PM by itiparanoid13 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
If you haven't checked out the King.com 1VC game, you really should. It's extremely nice.

Looked pretty, but those questions need some work. Nothing wrong with the writing style of the show presently. If they just combined their engine & graphics with the material from the NBC game...

...and why can't questions have an assigned mob elimination value? Just kind of funny in these games when a simple question like "what does WWW stand for" eliminates 25 people, yet "what is the atomic number for Boron" or something eliminates 2.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'143404\' date=\'Jan 15 2007, 05:31 PM\']
(My suggestion doesn't account for the reduction in number of Mob members after each question, but the sufficiently nerdy can whip out a calculator and put ratios to work if they want to get closer to the "right" number, and the rest of the world won't care.)
[/quote]
Naw, easy fix here...put a little chart somewhere on the card, that tells you how many Mob members to knock out based on how many are in play. Say, one number for 80-100, another for 60-80, etc. Tuck it into a little strip on the bottom of the card. Simple.
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'143406\' date=\'Jan 15 2007, 05:38 PM\']
This is one of those games which does not work well in board game form, I have a feeling..[/quote]
But DoND does?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:36:44 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »
[quote name=\'deknaj\' post=\'142314\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 12:26 AM\']
I saw it tonight at Target and now am wondering if there is a board game in the works for it like there is for DOND
[/quote]

Yeah. it's called Chutes and Ladders. ;)

MikeK

• Martha!
1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'143428\' date=\'Jan 15 2007, 10:35 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'143406\' date=\'Jan 15 2007, 05:38 PM\']This is one of those games which does not work well in board game form, I have a feeling..[/quote]
But DoND does?[/quote]
DoND's box game (not the card game) isn't bad.  It's not perfect but it's not abysmal.  The key component that's missing (and makes for a cruddy game when you're dealing with relatives who aren't mathematically-inclined) is a realistic offer generator.  When my 13-year-old cousin wanted to offer $100,000 after the first round to my sister, I had to take the cousin to the side and say "I've lived with my sister for 27 years.  She doesn't deserve more than $3000." :-)

The whole kitty and paying for a guess idea is flawed and doesn't make a lick of sense for the American game.  The family was entertained for 3 hours and that's really all that counts, IMHO.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'143507\' date=\'Jan 16 2007, 03:02 PM\']
The key component that's missing (and makes for a cruddy game when you're dealing with relatives who aren't mathematically-inclined) is a realistic offer generator.
[/quote]
See, for me, the key component that's missing is REAL MONEY. :)

But that's just my incredulity at the idea of DoND played for funsies talking. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

1 VS. 100 card game
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:40:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'143515\' date=\'Jan 16 2007, 07:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'143507\' date=\'Jan 16 2007, 03:02 PM\']
The key component that's missing (and makes for a cruddy game when you're dealing with relatives who aren't mathematically-inclined) is a realistic offer generator.
[/quote]
See, for me, the key component that's missing is REAL MONEY. :)

But that's just my incredulity at the idea of DoND played for funsies talking. :)
[/quote]
Actually, the instructions do give you an explanation of how to come up with the average as a means of getting a good idea of what to offer.  A calculator with a memory feature (and almost all of them have one these days) is really all you need.  Calculate the grand total of all the briefcases once.  Then when each game starts, put that in memory.  As briefcases are opened, subtract the amounts inside from the amount in memory.  When it's time to make an offer, recall memory and divide by the number of briefcases remaining, and you've got you're average and, thus, a good start on making a realistic offer.

The biggest problem I had in playing this with my parents over the weekend is that they didn't understand that the host stood to gain (or at least lose less) by getting the contestant to accept an offer that was lower than the value in the contestant's briefcase (since the host is going to pay out the amount in the briefcase if the contestant rejects all offers).

I, too, found it a reasonably good game to play, especially with multiple players.  As long as you treat the money as nothing more than a score, then you can get past the "playing for funsies" hurdle.  The multiplayer game keeps everyone involved by distributing the briefcases among the players who are not currently either host or contestant and allowing the holder of each case to guess at the amount in that briefcase when it is selected and before it is opened.  Plus there are two cards that award a "kitty" to either the host or the holder of the case.  I played it in a group of six, and we had a lot of fun with it, although I think a slightly smaller group would be better only because it takes a long time for everyone to be both host and contestant once.