Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Run the Gauntlet  (Read 1671 times)

Brig Bother

Run the Gauntlet
« on: November 28, 2006, 05:27:31 PM »
Hello chaps.

In the UK around the turn of the nineties, we had a show they used to show on Bank Holidays called Run The Gauntlet, and in it teams had races in exciting vehicles (Jetskis! Supercats! The games were called things like POWER EXTREME! that sort of thing) and ran up an obstacle laden hill whilst getting blasted by water cannons by opposing teams.

The teams represented The UK, The US, Australasia and (for obvious reasons) The Netherlands. It was great. What I'd like to know is, was this ever actually shown over in the States (or indeed Australiasia and The Netherlands)? It was very definitely a British production. There was also an alpine version of the show later, which was the same thing but with snow based vehicles.

alfonzos

Run the Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
To my knowledge: no.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

davewalls

Run the Gauntlet
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:09:04 PM »
It did air for awhile in the early 90's on ESPN in the afternoon. I clearly remember watching before heading off to class in the afternoon. The exact dates and times, I couldn't tell you, but I know it did air.

...and yes, it was an excellent show.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 04:10:02 PM by davewalls »
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Brig Bother

Run the Gauntlet
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:03:33 PM »
Excellent stuff! Thanks Dave.

And now your follow up question: Was International Gladiators ever shown in the States? It was made in Britain, but Mike Adamle was one of the hosts and it had a large contingent of American Gladiators and US contestants.

beatlefreak84

Run the Gauntlet
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »
Was International Gladiators ever shown in the States? It was made in Britain, but Mike Adamle was one of the hosts and it had a large contingent of American Gladiators and US contestants.

Yes, it was.  I think they did two runs of it, and, IIRC, the last season was all International Gladiators.

BTW, I always thought Terminator was the coolest international gladiator...:).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

davewalls

Run the Gauntlet
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »
I seem to recall a couple episodes of the International Gladiators being shown here, near the end of the American run. Personally, I saw more episodes of it rerun on TNN a few years ago than I did first run in the 90's.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 06:08:21 PM by davewalls »
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Brig Bother

Run the Gauntlet
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'139124\' date=\'Nov 29 2006, 10:49 PM\']
BTW, I always thought Terminator was the coolest international gladiator...:).

Anthony
[/quote]

Was he one of the Russian ones? I forget. Interestingly, there was never any domestic Russian competition, so the Russian contingent was invented for International Glads. Perhaps they were going to use it as some sort of pilot, or something.

Anyway, I've learnt some interesting things this evening. Thanks very much!