Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR's new host?  (Read 8251 times)

gaubster2

TPIR's new host?
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:14:27 AM »
According to Marc Green at Golden-Road.net, Dave Price is being given a trial run as "host" of TPIR doing some shows that will not be televised.  

More details at:  http://www.golden-road.net/modules/newbb/v...671&forum=4

As I don't watch the CBS Early Show, I don't know who this Price guy is and don't really care.

FWIW, I'd rather see Marc Summers, Tom Bergeron, or Todd Newton at the helm of Price.  Actually I wouldn't mind Tom Kennedy, either, but I know that's not an option.

Chris

tpirfan28

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »
And you missed the other important part of this...

A formal ticket announcement via cbs.com is forthcoming. More shows testing others hosts will be done at a later time, and we will pass along this information as it becomes available.

So Dave Price is not the replacement.  Yet.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
You have to admit he's on a faster track than I am.

I think were going to have to come to terms with the fact that Price is the annointed one.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SamPrainito

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 02:40:36 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as to say Dave Price is the "annointed one" just yet.

It's obvious CBS wants him for the job and they're pushing hard for him.  But remember one thing:  it's not CBS' job to fill, it's Fremantle's.

tvwxman

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' post=\'138193\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 02:40 PM\']
It's obvious CBS wants him for the job and they're pushing hard for him.  But remember one thing:  it's not CBS' job to fill, it's Fremantle's.
[/quote]
And Fremantle is going to listen VERY CAREFULLY to CBS's wishes if they hope to continue doing business with CBS.

My forecast : Dave gets it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR's new host?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 03:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'138201\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 12:27 PM\']
And Fremantle is going to listen VERY CAREFULLY to CBS's wishes if they hope to continue doing business with CBS.

My forecast : Dave gets it.
[/quote]
I trust your vibe for this better than my own, but I have to ask: doesn't Fremantle have SOME pull here? I bet NBC or Fox would love some highly-rated daytime programming...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

toddyo

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 03:39:34 PM »
Fremantle has all editorial control. It's their property.

How says it couldn't move to another network?  (Thanks for watching Today on NBC...stay tuned for another exciting episode of "The Price Is Right" next on this and many other NBC stations)

What a way to revive a genre for daytime television: competition!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR's new host?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 04:08:58 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'138203\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 12:39 PM\']
Fremantle has all editorial control. It's their property.
[/quote]
Yes, but I see Matt's point, too. The question is one of the value of the show: would NBC or Fox pay when CBS is paying now? That's a vast simplification when you work in production costs, and whatever savings they're going to get on the new host's contract over Barker's, and such. But I'm wondering if there isn't enough profit to be made from a high-profile network switch that it does give Fremantle some negotiating power.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 04:09:11 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'138207\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 04:08 PM\']
But I'm wondering if there isn't enough profit to be made from a high-profile network switch that it does give Fremantle some negotiating power.
[/quote]
Would NBC be able to get much coverage in the event of such a switch?  I'm not sure how willing the affiliates would be to give up the time slot even for TPIR.

cmjb13

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 04:48:57 PM »
Who's to say it has to be a network show?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 05:00:58 PM »
A shift to some other venue would be quickly spun by CBS as "without Barker, the show is nothing" and probably the public would agree.  Already, many of my "normal" friends (sorry, guys...) are asking me if the show is going to be cancelled when Barker retires.  Any sort of success the show can hope to achieve will be accomplished by retaining as much sameness as possible during the transition.  CBS is an important part of that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'138213\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 04:00 PM\']
A shift to some other venue would be quickly spun by CBS as "without Barker, the show is nothing" and probably the public would agree.  Already, many of my "normal" friends (sorry, guys...) are asking me if the show is going to be cancelled when Barker retires.  Any sort of success the show can hope to achieve will be accomplished by retaining as much sameness as possible during the transition.  CBS is an important part of that.
[/quote]

Meanwhile, haven't we already established that Price bombed twice with a live audience in Atlantic City?  Does CBS think that they'll get a different result in Studio 33?

urbanpreppie05

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 10:21:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138221\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 07:29 PM\']
[/quote]

Meanwhile, haven't we already established that Price bombed twice with a live audience in Atlantic City?  Does CBS think that they'll get a different result in Studio 33?
[/quote]
It could have been first time jitters...could have been. What can I say, I'm always the optomist.

IMHO, If all the potential hosts get tryouts, then I don't think the die-hards will be upset. If they decided to ONLY try Dave Price, then people will be really, really pissed.
insert signature here

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR's new host?
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 10:41:53 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138221\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 07:29 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm under the impression that "CBS" and "thought" weren't two factors that were working together when this decision was made.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR's new host?
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »
The notion that CBS would stop doing business with Fremantle and cancel TPIR because they disagreed on the TPIR emcee is laughable. That said, do I think Fremantle has the cajones to stand up to CBS? Not really.

haven't we already established that [Dave] Price bombed twice with a live audience in Atlantic City?
What is this hard-on that CBS has for Dave Price? He has no experience doing this kind of show and the above quote bears this out.