Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone make their own ecm-51 look-a-like-ish?  (Read 3668 times)

Argo

Anyone make their own ecm-51 look-a-like-ish?
« on: November 09, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »
For sometime I have been in search for a used ecm-51, like a lot of people on here. Lately i was thinking about buying a cheaper microphone that looks similar and make a look a like. There are not many slim line microphones around lately, however I did find one that looks pretty sexy ;) The behringer ECM-8000 (check out link for picture).

http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It is silver and slim, which could work well for a nice ecm-51 wanna-be, although not telescopic. However, it is sold as an "Omnidirectional Measurement Condenser Microphone". I know a bit about audio and microphones, but do not know how good this type of micrphone would be as a vocal mic. If not, i was thinking about purchasing one, and rebuilding one of my ecm-50s in it.

Anyone have any knowledge of this microphone? I know it is not sold as a vocal mic, but would it be any good?;

Has anyone made an ecm-51 look-a-like? If so, what parts did u use? I thought about just putting a telescopic tube on the ecm-50, but havent found a wide enough telescopic rod. I used a few tv antennas but they be pretty flimzy

Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 09:40:54 PM by Argo »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:49:10 PM »
That doesn't look at all like an ECM-51.

There are gooseneck mics which come much closer both to the ECM-51 and the mic Barker uses today:

http://www.markertek.com/ProdList.asp?cat=...arch=0&off=
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...;Q=&ci=8545

A 12" gooseneck mic should do nicely for emulating and ECM-51.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:51:25 PM by chris319 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:00:16 AM »
That link says it's an omnidirectional microphone. For a vocal mic, you want a unidirectional mic. Omnidirectionals are generally used as overhead mics.

I made an ECM-51 meme simply by taking a lavalier (clip-on) microphone, wrapping paper tightly around the cord, then putting silver duct tape on the paper. Sure it's cheap, but it looks good for a meme.

Argo

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 06:25:11 AM »
yeah really i should have said ecm-510 that isnt telescopic. just wish there were more micrphones like the ecm-51, even if they werent telescopic.

Id pay so much for an ecm-51 its not even funny.

BTW, is anyone making a telescopic hand held now adays?.
Mark
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 06:26:49 AM by Argo »

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to find a Sony ECM-31M on eBay last year that I picked up for around $30.  It's almost identical to the ECM-51, except that the windscreen is bigger and it doesn't telescope out as far as the 51.  I've even used it on the air... and it sounds great.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum