Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC DoND Promo SPOILER  (Read 9042 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'136450\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 09:08 AM\']
Or Darryl Heine, as well?
[/quote]
Oh, you're right. I got my idjits mixed up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 02:40:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136474\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 02:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'136450\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 09:08 AM\']
Or Darryl Heine, as well?
[/quote]
Oh, you're right. I got my idjits mixed up.
[/quote]

Definitely understandable. After years and years of them, they all start running together. :)

Patrick S

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 11:20:52 PM »
I too am fundamentally opposed to game show spoilers in TV promos, but for DoND, I wasn't too upset at first, most likely because I fit the audience they're looking for with these promos -- I sort of like Deal Or No Deal, but I rarely watch it anymore because I am just sick of the total lack of climactic moments anymore.  Too often we end up with players striving for $300,000 or $400,000.  Once it gets to that, I just find no reason to watch.  And because statistically speaking, this occurence is very likely to happen, it seems pointless to watch any of the show at all.

However, when I see an NBC promo saying "this woman could be the first million dollar winner," I think, "Okay.  Maybe I'll tune in just to see what happens."  What I am annoyed about, to no end, is that these promos exaggerate more than anything I've ever seen.  The promo that I just mentioned was for an episode where the contestant was offered ~$250,000, and took the deal.  What?!?  That's happened many, many times in the past.  And they made me sit through an hour of the show for it?  Unconscionable!

We also know that, if they advertise someone getting a $200,000 offer, they're going to take it (or, they'll go on and lose everything)!  If they didn't, they went on, and the offer went up to, say, $600,000, that's the offer they'd be advertising in the promo!

The same thing goes for 1 vs 100.  I know that, at least for the first five episodes, NO ONE is going to get more than $200,000, because that's the highest amount they showed in their pre-premiere promos.  It is so irritating!

Matt Ottinger

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 11:55:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'137064\' date=\'Nov 5 2006, 11:20 PM\']
I too am fundamentally opposed to game show spoilers in TV promos, but for DoND, I wasn't too upset at first, most likely because I fit the audience they're looking for with these promos [/quote]
Well, you seem to be the audience they continue to court, then.  Sorry to dredge this up, but once again the NBC promos are pointing to a specific event that happens so late in a game that it would be absolutely impossible for anybody who's seen the spot to to be the slightest bit surprised -- nor the slightest bit interested -- at what comes before.  I understand that it's an effective tool to get people to check it out, which ultimately is what matters after all.  Just seems a strange way to go about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 08:56:53 AM »
once again the NBC promos are pointing to a specific event that happens so late in a game that it would be absolutely impossible for anybody who's seen the spot to to be the slightest bit surprised -- nor the slightest bit interested -- at what comes before.

Luckily I haven't seen it...but I'm sure when I watch the beginning of the show they'll run the promo again.

Imagine if they did that in the old days..."tonight someone WILL WIN $100,000 on The $100,000 Pyramid, and now here's your host, Dick Clark"
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 09:00:33 AM »
Easy solution : Don't watch NBC.

Seriously, is there a damn thing on the network that's worth watching these days? I don't. Ergo, No spoliage.

(then again, since I don't watch NBC, I don't watch Deal or 1vs100. I'm not really missing much there, either)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 09:31:27 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137716\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 06:00 AM\']
Seriously, is there a damn thing on the network that's worth watching these days? I don't. Ergo, No spoliage.
[/quote]
Heroes and Studio 60 are actually really good.

Other'n that, yeah, right there with you. :)

/and let's see, on ABC the Tivo grabs....Lost. And not even that again until February.
//NBC 2, ConnectiMatt 0 ;)
///who in the purple hell puts a series on hiatus in the MIDDLE of the fall Sweeps?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:32:09 AM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 09:45:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137718\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 09:31 AM\']
[/quote]
Heroes and Studio 60 are actually really good.

Other'n that, yeah, right there with you. :)

/and let's see, on ABC the Tivo grabs....Lost. And not even that again until February.
//NBC 2, ConnectiMatt 0 ;)
///who in the purple hell puts a series on hiatus in the MIDDLE of the fall Sweeps?
[/quote]
I'm with you on Studio 60, but even lately I haven't been looking forward to Monday's.

The theory with Lost was , ABC got heavily criticized last year for too many Lost repeats and 'catchup' shows...so they wanted to run the 26 eps consecutively....However, if you start a show like that in October, you're done before the May sweeps book...so they thought, 'hey! let's tease the show with a 6 week mini-arc'!...

I dunno why the suits looks at the Feb and May books more importantly than November....methinks its because there's still time in November to fix the season, if the Nov book doesnt' pan out well.

And (shameless self-promotion here), check out "Daybreak" with Taye Diggs. It's actually pretty good. I think it's got more potential than Nine and Brothers/Sisters. Maybe that will make it NBC 2, Ct-Matt 1?

/What about Brian still blows.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 10:12:56 AM »
To give you an idea of how bad NBC has got in terms of spoiler leakage, I was watching "Las Vegas" after 1 v 100 on Friday.  

About midway during the show they had a show recap sponsored by JCPenney.

The v/o said "Here's what happened so far on "Las Vegas", and played a handful of clips -- 2 of which were scenes that didn't happen in the show yet!

At the rate NBC is chopping their budget, we might be seeing a revival of "The Cheap Show" sometime in the near future.  :-P

Matt Ottinger

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137718\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 09:31 AM\']
[/quote]
Heroes and Studio 60 are actually really good.[/quote]
30 Rock is funny in a surreal sort of way, and ought to be a good fit with Scrubs for us fans of that sort of thing (which, apparently, aren't very many).

But yeah, I find it odd that I TiVo the entire NBC Monday night lineup -- and nothing else on the network.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137719\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 09:45 AM\']
The theory with Lost was , ABC got heavily criticized last year for too many Lost repeats and 'catchup' shows...so they wanted to run the 26 eps consecutively....However, if you start a show like that in October, you're done before the May sweeps book...so they thought, 'hey! let's tease the show with a 6 week mini-arc'!...

I dunno why the suits looks at the Feb and May books more importantly than November....methinks its because there's still time in November to fix the season, if the Nov book doesnt' pan out well.
[/quote]

What I found really odd about the "Lost" thing is that they halted it with two or three weeks left of November sweeps. Why wouldn't they just start it later?

tpirfan28

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137716\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 09:00 AM\']
Easy solution : Don't watch NBC.

(then again, since I don't watch NBC, I don't watch Deal or 1vs100. I'm not really missing much there, either)
[/quote]
Sunday Night Football.  That's it.  I've given up on Deal, and 1 vs 100 I don't care for.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 02:01:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'137729\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 09:25 AM\']
What I found really odd about the "Lost" thing is that they halted it with two or three weeks left of November sweeps. Why wouldn't they just start it later?
[/quote]
That part, I understand. It's all a big game of chicken between the networks. If they start it later, and the other networks run their premieres earlier, then people start watching competing shows, and then when the latecomer starts up, viewing habits are in place and they don't switch. So everyone basically has to start at the same time to be competitive.

What I don't understand is why they made this Lost arc six weeks instead of eight. Unless they're looking ahead to the February sweeps, because this way they can hit both that one AND the May one with the rest of the season.

uncamark

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137733\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 01:01 PM\']
What I don't understand is why they made this Lost arc six weeks instead of eight. Unless they're looking ahead to the February sweeps, because this way they can hit both that one AND the May one with the rest of the season.
[/quote]

[Katnip] That sounds logical.  [Katnip]

ObRelatedGenre:  "Survivor" and "TAR' do it all the time.

toddyo

NBC DoND Promo SPOILER
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 05:15:37 PM »
No offense here but can y'all avoid using words like "ergo".  I had bad flashbacks just now! :)

NBC = 700 cutbacks = "Oh look honey, dolphins!"