Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Difficult 'Pyramid' Subjects  (Read 4302 times)

Robert Hutchinson

Difficult 'Pyramid' Subjects
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'134794\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:18 PM\']THINGS THAT SOUND EXACTLY LIKE FOUR.  Say four, it's an illegal clue.  Don't say four, it's an illegal clue.[/quote]
"Three plus one", "two plus two", and the judges and I can fight about it. Those statements, for a certain definition of "sound", do sound exactly like four.

(Yeah, I know, that was all for fun. But I take this stuff seriously--I can't help it.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

gsfreak82

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'134718\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 01:18 PM\']
In watching the ep. Jamie posted from the $25,000 Pyramid, I was pondering the subject "Sophisticated Things" and how much trouble Betty had getting her partner in saying it.  There's no way I would have come up with it, even with the clues that she was giving.  In your opinion, what are some more really difficult "Pyramid" subjects?
[/quote]

That's not the only time it was used.  The first time I saw Sophisticated Things was the first ever perfect show with two perfect games with Martha Smith and Earl Haloman.  with 9 seconds left Martha gives the clue ladies in elegant gowns and she got buzzed for that.  Dick mentioned he didn't have any ideas for clues on that one.  i don't know what other subjects were difficult except for when John Davidson's version added the Double Trouble category which had a two word thing to describe.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 12:54:40 AM »
I cannot think of a time when "Sophiscated Things" came up where Duke Ellington's Ladies wasn't mentioned.  It's THE clue.

I remember Vice Presidents appearing once.  This next one may be one of my own, but I would think Things That Are Generated would be an interesting challenge.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 12:57:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134813\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:54 PM\']
This next one may be one of my own, but I would think Things That Are Generated would be an interesting challenge.
[/quote]
"Gas-powered electricity. A random number."

/again, that's one "M"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:57:34 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MrBuddwing

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 02:09:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'134799\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'134798\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:48 PM\']In the New York era, at least, the list did have to be accurate, because I recall "Randy Newman" being buzzed as a cule for SHORT PEOPLE. (He's six feet tall.) You could also say that buzzing "a diaper" for THINGS YOU PAMPER is a requirement of accuracy.[/quote]

I think you missed part of my description:

"as long as they weren't trying to sneak the answer by in a non-list way"

Saying "Randy Newman" for SHORT PEOPLE is not merely a misunderstanding about the man's height; it's an attempt to communicate the idea of "short people" without listing short people.[/quote]

From my erratic memory file: Once, McLean Stevenson was in the winner's circle, and the contestant was giving the clues, and one of the board's panels read: "Short People." That was it. The contestant said, "Midgets," and Stevenson said, "Short people," and ding! that was it. After that, I noticed that whenever the subject reappeared, it read, "Names of Short People."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'134801\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'134794\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:18 PM\']THINGS THAT SOUND EXACTLY LIKE FOUR.  Say four, it's an illegal clue.  Don't say four, it's an illegal clue.[/quote]
"Three plus one", "two plus two", and the judges and I can fight about it. Those statements, for a certain definition of "sound", do sound exactly like four.

(Yeah, I know, that was all for fun. But I take this stuff seriously--I can't help it.)
[/quote]

How about "a golfer's yell."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 11:42:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'134846\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 10:11 AM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'134801\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:59 PM\']

[/quote]

How about "a golfer's yell."
[/quote]
No, because "a golfer's yell" sounds like "a golfer's yell".  It doesn't sound exactly like four.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134813\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 11:54 PM\']
I remember Vice Presidents appearing once.  [/quote]

Not sure I follow why that would be all that challenging.  In the PYRAMID 70s-era alone you had. . .

Nelson Rockefeller
Walter Mondale
Spiro Agnew

What am I missing that would make it all that difficult?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 06:51:18 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'134849\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 11:42 AM\']No, because "a golfer's yell" sounds like "a golfer's yell".  It doesn't sound exactly like four.[/quote]

To me, that sounds exactly like limiting one's choice of definitions for "sounds".

All I remember about VICE PRESIDENTS is the time, I think in '82, when a celebrity was complaining about category difficulty in the Winner's Circle post mortem, and wondered aloud what was next: Vice Presidents?

Dick had the panel waiting to show everyone after the commercial, to prove that it was indeed on file.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin