Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 16433 times)

Tony

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2006, 10:24:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'133898\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 08:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'133795\' date=\'Oct 7 2006, 04:15 PM\']
the show is too crappy-prize-centric for my tastes to ever want to go on
[/quote]

Sir, I think you have your priorities a bit skewed. The point of going to see TPIR is just that, for the whole experience of being there, meeting people, seeing Bob, and whatnot. You don't go expecting to be picked, much less to win anything. If you do, that's a gigantic BONUS. Making the pilgrimage to Studio 33 is an uncomparable experience that I think everyone here should take if presented with the opportunity.
[/quote]
Point taken.  I actually would like see the show in person sometime in my life; I'm just not sure I'd like to be a contestant, that's all.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2006, 10:29:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'133937\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 09:24 AM\']
Point taken.  I actually would like see the show in person sometime in my life; I'm just not sure I'd like to be a contestant, that's all.
[/quote]
That's the way I did it my two times--I didn't really want to be a contestant (and there might have been some question if I had--so not leaving it to chance I made myself ineligible).  Gus is right--doing the pilgrimage to 33 is a tremendous experience.  For me, just stepping into that studio was winning enough.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
You know what bugs me?

I'll sum it up...if you can't get the right to use the name of the product on the show in the plug, don't use the product.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2006, 04:53:03 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'133970\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 01:51 PM\']
I'll sum it up...if you can't get the right to use the name of the product on the show in the plug, don't use the product.
[/quote]
Yeah, when I was watching that dude botch Hit Me the other morning, I noticed that Rich did a generic plug for EVERY ONE of the six products involved in the game. NOT ONE was sponsored.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'133970\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 03:51 PM\']I'll sum it up...if you can't get the right to use the name of the product on the show in the plug, don't use the product.[/quote]
They certainly could use the brand names (they did in years past), they simply choose not to.

Don't use the product? "You will win that lovely bedroom if you pick a pair of products that... oh. We don't have any products. You win! Showcase Showdown after this!"

--
Scott Robinson

clemon79

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
Really, it's funny. Because you're right, they could if they wanted, they just don't want to.

Which means, almost certainly, the Price people went to the sponsors and said "Yeah, we want you to pay money to mention your products on the show", and the sponsors told the Price people to screw, because they know that without the products they HAVE no show. Which amuses me.

tvwxman

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2006, 06:39:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133983\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 06:05 PM\']
Really, it's funny. Because you're right, they could if they wanted, they just don't want to.

Which means, almost certainly, the Price people went to the sponsors and said "Yeah, we want you to pay money to mention your products on the show", and the sponsors told the Price people to screw, because they know that without the products they HAVE no show. Which amuses me.
[/quote]
Agreed...but you mean to tell me that there are no products down at the Piggly Wiggly who's national companies don't want the publicity?

Sounds like TPIR just isn't trying very hard. Which seems to be a more common theme these days.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'133989\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 03:39 PM\']
Agreed...but you mean to tell me that there are no products down at the Piggly Wiggly who's national companies don't want the publicity?
[/quote]
Right, I'm not saying your scenario isn't the case, but I gotta think it's possible that the price the Price people want for said publicity is rather overinflated compared to the price said companies think it's worth, considering the stratospheric rise in the ego of the show's EP. (Who I realize probably has little to nothing to do with the business side of things, but shite rolls downhill.)

Robert Hutchinson

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133971\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:53 PM\']Yeah, when I was watching that dude botch Hit Me the other morning, I noticed that Rich did a generic plug for EVERY ONE of the six products involved in the game. NOT ONE was sponsored.[/quote]

To cross the streams a bit, both products in one particular pair of such on today's show were unsponsored, and Rich finishing the whole description in about 4 seconds completely caught Bob offguard. Mildly amusing, but more irksome, yes.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Neumms

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 07:55:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133995\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 07:13 PM\']
Right, I'm not saying your scenario isn't the case, but I gotta think it's possible that the price the Price people want for said publicity is rather overinflated compared to the price said companies think it's worth, considering the stratospheric rise in the ego of the show's EP. (Who I realize probably has little to nothing to do with the business side of things, but shite rolls downhill.)
[/quote]

Here's what I don't get. . . so far this season, they've thrown Pillsbury crescent rolls and spaghetti sauce in as extras with the one-bid prizes. Why don't they just put them in the games and save a little time?

And why, if they're not getting dough from the makers of "supplements" and denture adhesives, don't they get the hell rid of them and pick normal groceries for the games? Stuff like tuna fish and Bugles that people actually buy?

Steve Gavazzi

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'134080\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 07:55 PM\']
And why, if they're not getting dough from the makers of "supplements" and denture adhesives, don't they get the hell rid of them and pick normal groceries for the games? Stuff like tuna fish and Bugles that people actually buy?
[/quote]

Having worked in a drugstore for about two years, I can assure you that people "actually buy" supplements and denture adhesives.

alfonzos

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2006, 03:22:01 PM »
When they cancel a game show I enjoy for a crappy one just for the sake of change. I.E.: Concentration for Baffle or The $25,000 Pyramid for Blackout.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'134160\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:22 PM\']
When they cancel a game show I enjoy for a crappy one just for the sake of change. I.E.: Concentration for Baffle or The $25,000 Pyramid for Blackout.
[/quote]
I assure you, no network executive ever sat in his office and said "Ya know, this show is getting great ratings and making a bundle of money, but I'm going to replace it anyhow because it's time for a change."

Except Lin Bolen, the Ed Belfour of network executives.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:49:37 PM by clemon79 »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'134080\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 06:55 PM\']And why, if they're not getting dough from the makers of "supplements" and denture adhesives, don't they get the hell rid of them and pick normal groceries for the games? Stuff like tuna fish and Bugles that people actually buy?[/quote]
I've noticed that many of the generic plugs have been placed on products that were sponsored a few months ago. So since they already have the packaging and prices on hand, they're just using the same products and changing the audio copy.

There's a small stable of never-sponsored products that presumably the show went out and bought, and most of those are non-medicinal items (peanut butter, coffee, water, etc.).

--
Scott Robinson

GSmaniac

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »
My pet peeve is on the current FF when the family gets one, two or three strikes. The audience claps after a strike is gained.

IF THEY GET THE ANSWER WRONG, THE AUDIENCE SHOULDN'T CLAP, OKAY???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This started when Karn took over and it's been bugging me ever since.