Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire question... (about using questions)  (Read 1539 times)

cmjb13

Millionaire question... (about using questions)
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
Say Bill makes it to the $500,000 question and walks. Mike is the next contestant. If Mike makes it to the $1M question, does he get the question Bill would have gotten or are there all new questions for new contestants?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »
Say Bill makes it to the $500,000 question and walks. Mike is the next contestant. If Mike makes it to the $1M question, does he get the question Bill would have gotten or are there all new questions for new contestants?

I think it's pretty well been determined that each contestant gets a completely new stack, so it would be a different question.  Any un-used questions would later be put in a new stack, but at the rate they're going, they're not going to use very many $1M questions anyway!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 08:53:54 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:18:44 AM »
I thought we'd entertained the possibility that the questions all came from a central database, separated by level. (At least, from $50K forward.) 'Cuz you never know where someone's gonna Flip.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 09:58:32 AM »
Well, I have my copy of the first "Millionaire" book...and here's the excerpt on questions...

"Questions are grouped in stacks of fifteen questions--the ladder to $1,000,000.  The actual stacks to be used in each show are selected daily at random by ABC's Broadcast Standards and Practices representative."

Now, I'm sure that probably has changed, with the advent of Switch the Question.  I would think the stacks still exist, and the Switch questions are a special bank themselves.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:17:49 PM »
Personally, I'm leaning toward the theory of "randomly selected, but within broad categories so the contestant doesn't get something like three movie questions in a row." There was one episode this season where a contestant received two different questions in two different tiers with "nutcracker" as an answer choice (one referring to the object and one referring to the ballet) and it seems like they wouldn't have let that happen if they were handcrafting each stack of 15 questions.

--
Scott Robinson

goongas

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:18 PM »
At one of the tapings of the syndicated version I have attended, I thought I saw the standards and practices lawyer holding the questions in his hand.  The stacks are set in advance.  They do this I am guessing so there could be no switching of questions by the control room as the game is progressing (e.g., this contestant is doing too well, give him/her an impossible question).  I believe I read the UK version of Millionaire initially picked the questions at random as the game progressed, but if they still do this I don't know.  Also, the order of contestants is random as well, set in advance.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:04:02 PM by goongas »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'134277\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 03:03 PM\']
Also, the order of contestants is random as well, set in advance.
[/quote]

Well, which is it?  Random, or set in advance?
czambo@mac.com

goongas

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 03:54:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'134286\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 03:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'134277\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 03:03 PM\']
Also, the order of contestants is random as well, set in advance.
[/quote]

Well, which is it?  Random, or set in advance?
[/quote]

It is random.  I meant to say the random drawing takes place before the taping begins for the day.