Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greatest Hosts of All Time - Results Thread  (Read 98885 times)

dzinkin

Greatest Hosts of All Time - Results Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'136051\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 05:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136049\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 06:26 PM\']
(Can we make "perpetrating the 'Alex Was Drunk' rumor with more than 100 posts under your belt" at LEAST a suspendable offense? Please?)
[/quote]
I'm sorry if I'm sound like a "Woolery left Wheel"er, but was it proven that Alex was not drunk on the HR Finale? [/quote]
Those who make the accusation bear the burden of proof... otherwise, perhaps I should revoke your posting privileges until you prove that you're not posting while drunk.  Oh, and yeah, it's been debunked.

(For the uninitiated, back in the ATGS days Chris Jaunsen worked with Paul "The Flea" to assemble an impressive list of which shows were known to survive and which weren't.  As it happened, he went to school with HR model Becky Price's daughter Brittany.)

[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'136055\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 06:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136052\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 07:08 PM\']
Christ.
[/quote]
Asshole.
[/quote]
Completely uncalled for, Joe.  No Isobooth stay this time since you quickly apologized, but watch it in the future.

[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'136058\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 07:08 PM\']
I apologize, but I am a very sensitive person and I really don't have much tolerance at being snarked at.
[/quote]
I'm not always thrilled with snarkiness either, but that's not an excuse for prolonging a rumor that's been long debunked, or for name-calling when you don't check your facts.

- David
(neither Christ nor an asshole, last time I checked)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 07:19:19 PM by dzinkin »

J.R.

« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »
I think I will lay low for a while. (Again, I'm sorry)

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 07:21:41 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'136050\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 05:39 PM\']Aside from Chuck Woolery (what the heck do people see in him, anyway?)[/quote]
I realize some of his faults as a game show host, but he's (all IMO, of course) funny, personable with contestants, and always seems to actually be interested in the game. On Scrabble, for instance, he always kept the players aware of the current situation (when he wasn't tongue-tied), had fun with the punny clues, and so on.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

GS Warehouse

« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2006, 10:25:31 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'136059\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 07:16 PM\']
 - David
(neither Christ nor an asshole, last time I checked)
[/quote]
[color=\"#FF9900\"]Does that make you an egghead?

Is it just me or has the ghost of Randy Amasia possessed some of us on this Halloween season?[/color]

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2006, 11:40:38 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'136075\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 10:25 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'136059\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 07:16 PM\']
 - David
(neither Christ nor an asshole, last time I checked)[/quote]
Does that make you an egghead?

Is it just me or has the ghost of Randy Amasia possessed some of us on this Halloween season?[/quote]
Next time, when you go for the lame joke, at least attribute the quote to the proper person.

cweaver

« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2006, 12:20:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'136065\' date=\'Oct 29 2006, 08:57 PM\']
I realize some of his faults as a game show host, but he's (all IMO, of course) funny, personable with contestants, and always seems to actually be interested in the game. On Scrabble, for instance, he always kept the players aware of the current situation (when he wasn't tongue-tied), had fun with the punny clues, and so on.
[/quote]

Only once in my life have I ever seen the work of a game show host from studio level.  And that was Chuck Woolery, hosting the 1999 edition of the TV Land Ultimate Fan Search.  It couldn't have been one of his best days ever hosting game shows, as the people who put this one together apparently operated under 1 Vs. 100 type rules (one little mistake and everyone shuts down the show and panics; 30 minute show took four hours to tape and TV Land President Larry Jones walked out of the taping in a huff).  

My brother was allowed during one of the lengthier shutdowns to go outside for a smoke break, where he was joined a short time later by Chuck himself who told him he couldn't believe what all was going on.  That's the only indication I saw at any point of Chuck's not being overly thrilled about how everything was going, as the rest of the time he was very highly professional.  Every time the show went to break or (quite often) came to a grinding halt, he went straight to the audience to keep us entertained and informed and answer any question we had about anything. (He really seemed to enjoy this, actually.) And he kept a happy face and a professional attitude about the whole thing.  I was very impressed on how well he did under especially trying circumstances.

davidhammett

« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2006, 02:37:50 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'136087\' date=\'Oct 30 2006, 12:20 AM\']
Only once in my life have I ever seen the work of a game show host from studio level.  And that was Chuck Woolery, hosting the 1999 edition of the TV Land Ultimate Fan Search.  It couldn't have been one of his best days ever hosting game shows, as the people who put this one together apparently operated under 1 Vs. 100 type rules (one little mistake and everyone shuts down the show and panics; 30 minute show took four hours to tape and TV Land President Larry Jones walked out of the taping in a huff).  

My brother was allowed during one of the lengthier shutdowns to go outside for a smoke break, where he was joined a short time later by Chuck himself who told him he couldn't believe what all was going on.  That's the only indication I saw at any point of Chuck's not being overly thrilled about how everything was going, as the rest of the time he was very highly professional.  Every time the show went to break or (quite often) came to a grinding halt, he went straight to the audience to keep us entertained and informed and answer any question we had about anything. (He really seemed to enjoy this, actually.) And he kept a happy face and a professional attitude about the whole thing.  I was very impressed on how well he did under especially trying circumstances.
[/quote]

One of my favorite Chuck stories from the Greed days was when he was chatting it up with the audience off camera; all of a sudden and without warning he goes into his old WoF language: "$500 is the top value on the wheel; watch out for that black space, Bankrupt, because if you hit it, you lose all your cash but not your prizes because once you buy a prize it's yours to keep."  He went on further, "I remember that like it was yesterday... but I don't remember any of that Scrabble [stuff]."

And I'll agree that Chuck, indeed almost any emcee, could get upset when things were taking too long for one reason or another.  Still, he was usually very affable; he'd join staffers at lunch and chat, and I occasionally would speak with him one-on-one.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »
A little late to the party about posting my list, but here we go:

1.  Dick Clark (6)
2.  Bill Cullen (1)
3.  Bob Barker (2)
4.  Alex Trebek (5)
5.  Gene Rayburn (4)
6.  Chuck Woolery (10)
7.  Peter Marshall (12)
8.  Tom Kennedy (3)
9.  Garry Moore (18)
10.  Allen Ludden (7)
11.  Bob Eubanks (14)
12.  Groucho Marx (30)
13.  Pat Sajak (16)
14.  Tom Bergeron (25)
15.  Wink Martindale (11)
16.  Johnny Carson (**)
17.  Richard Dawson (17)
18.  Regis Philbin (27)
19.  Bert Convy (22)
20.  Jim Perry (8)

Sorry, Monty.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 continues
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:32:40 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2006, 11:26:52 AM »
I didn't make a list, but there is one thing I'd like to say - nothing against Bill (not sure where I would put him if I had made a list, but it would be pretty high up), but it was nice to see other hosts' pictures at the top.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2006, 11:43:10 AM »
I was concerned that a couple of emcees would be totally forgotten with the passing of time, but I'm glad to see that Art Linkletter and Hal March at least made the list. They might have ranked higher if more people were more familiar with their work. The only emcee left off the list whom I think deserves at least an honorable mention is Jay Jackson.

If you want an emcee who is a total jackass off camera and on, look for one who walks out of tapings, who quibbles with the producer both off camera and on, who has people banned from the set, who has no regard for bringing a show in on time, and whom no producer in his right mind would ever hire IMO. I think you know who I'm talking about.
Lest anyone think I was referring to Allen Ludden, I should add that this particular jackass became so smug that he was let go from another show from the same production company on which he was a regular performer under contract.

Monarx

« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »
I just noticed that the top three hosts of all time all hosted the top game show of all time.  I thought that was interesting.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2006, 01:51:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' post=\'136130\' date=\'Oct 30 2006, 01:27 PM\']
I just noticed that the top three hosts of all time all hosted the top game show of all time.  I thought that was interesting.
[/quote]

Well, Ricki Lake did too, but she did not make our survey.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2006, 02:37:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'136131\' date=\'Oct 30 2006, 10:51 AM\']
Well, Ricki Lake did too, but she did not make our survey.
[/quote]
Nor Doug Davidson. Which merely shows that the act of hosting TPiR does not make you a better host. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #343 on: October 31, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »
I'll get you off the hook, Doug. I'll come to the party even later.

1. Cullen - no doubt
2. Barker
3. Narz - versatile, warm, friendly, natural.
4. Kennedy - talent runs in the Narz family
5. James -first tv host, Goodson thought he was good enough for Price at the end.
6.-Parks - energy and enthusiasm
7.-Trebeck - the cold fish who finally warmed up
8.- Bailey - Takes great talent to keep maudlin contestants in check and control the show.
9.- Moore - Humor, professionalism, warmth
10.- Hall - no one since has beaten him at the very demanding LMAD
11.- Bergeron - We can all dream for a change of heart
12.- Daly - watching him and Bennett in a battle of big words was always amusing.
13.-Walberg - has long-term potential
14.-Clark - only negative is he tends to want to be so professional that you don't detect enthusiasm.
15.- Ludden
16.-Garagiola - brings plenty of enthusiasm
17.-Lange - knows enough to stay out of the way of the game
18.-Rayburn - maybe should be higher, but I'm comfy here.
19.-Martindale - if only by sheer numbers.
20.-Collyer - Mr. "always in front of a radio mike".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:11:53 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Jay Temple

« Reply #344 on: October 31, 2006, 10:15:18 PM »
Here's mine:
1 Bill Cullen (1)
2 Bob Barker (2)
3 Richard Dawson (17)
4 Dick Clark (6)
5 Alex Trebek (5)
6 Alan Ludden (7)
7 Gene Rayburn (4)
8 Pat Sajak (16)
9 Peter Marshall (12)
10 Chuck Woolery (10)
11 Bob Eubanks (14)
12 John Daly (19)
13 Garry Moore (18)
14 Tom Kennedy (3)
15 Geoff Edwards (13)
16 Wink Martindale (11)
17 Jim Perry (8)
18 Jim Lange (31)
19 Kevin O'Connell (44)
20 John O'Hurley (36)
The last two were spots that I reserved for people who were good but didn't have much of a résumé. I was pleased to see Tom Kennedy make #3 on the survey and surprised to see that I myself only ranked him #14.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.