Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game '75  (Read 2779 times)

pyrfan

Match Game '75
« on: September 15, 2006, 06:38:06 PM »
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the special guest who sat in for Gary Burghoff on Thursday night's episode of "Match Game '75." I don't think this week has aired before on GSN, so it was a pleasant surprise. If anyone hasn't watched their tapes/DVR yet, you'll want to check it out.

Brendan

Eric Paddon

Match Game '75
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »
I won't give it away, but I am *finally* glad to know I wasn't dreaming when I saw this stand-in for Gary back in 1975. :)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Match Game '75
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:11:09 PM »
While I could guess, would somebody be willing to cough up the name now?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Eric Paddon

Match Game '75
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »
Okay, it was Johnny Olson filling in on the one show.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Match Game '75
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:35:17 PM »
I'd have liked to seen that. Darn. Did he do his announce with a hand-held mic at Gary's seat, or...what?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLW

Match Game '75
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
I like how nobody points it out the night before...I so would've taped!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:15:25 PM by PYLW »

pyrfan

Match Game '75
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 12:18:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'131728\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 06:08 PM\']
I won't give it away, but I am *finally* glad to know I wasn't dreaming when I saw this stand-in for Gary back in 1975. :)
[/quote]
For years, I've had a memory of Johnny introducing the panel and then saying "Me -- Johnny Olson." However, none of my TV Guide research was able to confirm that Johnny was ever on the panel. So not only was it great to see Johnny playing the game, like you, Eric, I'm glad to know that I didn't just imagine it.

By the way, no one here mentioned it because, most likely, no one here knew. When Gene announced on the previous Friday who the celebs would be, Gary Burghoff was there instead of Johnny. According to Gene, they were taping on the day after they turned the clocks forward, and Gary had forgotten to turn the clock forward and was late getting to the taping.

Brendan

cweaver

Match Game '75
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'131756\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 11:18 PM\']
By the way, no one here mentioned it because, most likely, no one here knew. When Gene announced on the previous Friday who the celebs would be, Gary Burghoff was there instead of Johnny. According to Gene, they were taping on the day after they turned the clocks forward, and Gary had forgotten to turn the clock forward and was late getting to the taping.
[/quote]

I had this happen recently when a Password Plus (Wesley Eure, Elizabeth Montgomery) that I had been looking for for years, aired and I didn't know until after the fact.  I'm sure most of the time (including these two cases) the people who post it here after the fact didn't know in advance it was airing.  But this might be a good time to ask  anyone who has an idea that a must-tape classic episode of a GSN rerun is coming up in rotation, to give everyone a heads up.  I realize sometimes that might involve a spoiler but it seems they could still give everyone a "heads up" that something special is coming up on a specific series and then share it with everyone after it has aired in all time zones.  But that's just a thought.   (And oh yeah, adequate time so I can set my DVD-R before I go to work.)  

I know there are a lot of people who are big fans of these shows who've seen them a zillion times and assume everyone else has, too, but some of us didn't have GSN for years and would love to catch up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 01:29:01 PM by cweaver »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Match Game '75
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 02:02:18 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131774\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 12:27 PM\']
I had this happen recently when a Password Plus (Wesley Eure, Elizabeth Montgomery) that I had been looking for for years, aired and I didn't know until after the fact.  I'm sure most of the time (including these two cases) the people who post it here after the fact didn't know in advance it was airing.  But this might be a good time to ask  anyone who has an idea that a must-tape classic episode of a GSN rerun is coming up in rotation, to give everyone a heads up.[/quote]

I'll second that emotion.

Anybody know what point we are at in the Dawson FF 4:30 ET run?  I have this odd feeling that something notable may be coming up.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

Match Game '75
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'131756\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 11:18 PM\']
For years, I've had a memory of Johnny introducing the panel and then saying "Me -- Johnny Olson." However, none of my TV Guide research was able to confirm that Johnny was ever on the panel. So not only was it great to see Johnny playing the game, like you, Eric, I'm glad to know that I didn't just imagine it.

Brendan
[/quote]
I remember seeing it, too. I didn't know he was substituting; I just figured, he's a celebrity, why not? Do I remember correctly that you didn't see him saying it, the implication being that he taped the intros separately?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Eric Paddon

Match Game '75
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 02:27:59 PM »
Just speaking for myself, I only learned after the fact from a friend who still tapes MG every day and gave me the heads-up afterwards (I no longer get GSN myself).  

I had always remembered Johnny's one-shot fill-in for Gary but I had always recalled it taking place in the middle of the week for some reason, though that may be because this week of episodes did not start on a Monday given how Match Game's usual practice was to just make-up for a pre-emption by sliding over into the next week.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Match Game '75
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'131779\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 01:27 PM\']
I had always remembered Johnny's one-shot fill-in for Gary but I had always recalled it taking place in the middle of the week for some reason, though that may be because this week of episodes did not start on a Monday given how Match Game's usual practice was to just make-up for a pre-emption by sliding over into the next week.
[/quote]
According to the old matchgame.org episode guide (which one of our members archived here), this ep did air on a Monday (3/10/75, to be exact).

Doug
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 02:36:33 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)