Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hope you enjoyed Password  (Read 14115 times)

Jimmy Owen

Hope you enjoyed Password
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2006, 09:28:38 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131357\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 08:37 AM\']
Was this week of Password Brett's first game show appearance ever, or had she appeared here or elsewhere before?
[/quote]

According to old TVG listings (which may or may not be accurate), Brett appeared on "He Said, She Said," with husband.  That week of shows was aired in New York on WPIX in December of 1969.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2006, 09:39:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'131365\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 09:28 AM\'][quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131357\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 08:37 AM\']Was this week of Password Brett's first game show appearance ever, or had she appeared here or elsewhere before?[/quote]According to old TVG listings (which may or may not be accurate), Brett appeared on "He Said, She Said," with husband.  That week of shows was aired in New York on WPIX in December of 1969.[/quote]
That's confirmed by vintage newspaper stories.  In a November, 1970 profile of Klugman by Earl Wilson, there's a story about how she took his fee and hers for appearing on HS/SS.  "Listen," she said, "if you weren't married you couldn't do this show."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cweaver

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'131365\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 08:28 AM\']
According to old TVG listings (which may or may not be accurate), Brett appeared on "He Said, She Said," with husband.  That week of shows was aired in New York on WPIX in December of 1969.
[/quote]

My experience is that the TV Guide listings did tend to be a little more accurate for syndication than network programming, since there was apparently adequate lead time from taping to air.  Still an occasional mistake here and there but not near as many as I've encountered on listing network daytime shows.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 03:11:35 PM »
When Joe Garagiola appeared on Match Game for a week in 1978, Brett recalled doing "He Said, She Said" and gave the impression she and Jack did it more than once.

uncamark

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 04:59:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'131392\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 02:11 PM\']
When Joe Garagiola appeared on Match Game for a week in 1978, Brett recalled doing "He Said, She Said" and gave the impression she and Jack did it more than once.
[/quote]

In fact, it seems to me that only Stiller & Meara did "HSSS" more than the Klugmans.

And when you factor in that Ira Skutch co-produced "HSSS," you have the feeling that Brett was remembered when "MG '73" came along.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'131408\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 04:59 PM\']
And when you factor in that Ira Skutch co-produced "HSSS," you have the feeling that Brett was remembered when "MG '73" came along.
[/quote]

I'd always thought the deal there was that they wanted Jack for the premiere week, and he agreed on the condition that they would bring Brett on later.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »
Something Ira confirmed in his interview with the Academy...of whatever. You can Google it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 09:04:42 AM »
I'd always thought the deal there was that they wanted Jack for the premiere week, and he agreed on the condition that they would bring Brett on later.

I think that's true, but I also heard they wanted Jack to be a regular, but he either didn't want to do it or didn't think he'd be good at it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

cweaver

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'131488\' date=\'Sep 14 2006, 08:04 AM\']
I think that's true, but I also heard they wanted Jack to be a regular, but he either didn't want to do it or didn't think he'd be good at it.
[/quote]

Any chance it might be because ABC didn't want him appearing as a regular on another network's show while he was still doing The Odd Couple?

mmb5

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131491\' date=\'Sep 14 2006, 09:17 AM\']
Any chance it might be because ABC didn't want him appearing as a regular on another network's show while he was still doing The Odd Couple?
[/quote]

Paul Lynde had two ABC sitcoms during his HS run.  They didn't make that much of a deal about cross-network stuff as they do now.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

cweaver

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 12:03:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'131498\' date=\'Sep 14 2006, 10:48 AM\']
Paul Lynde had two ABC sitcoms during his HS run.  They didn't make that much of a deal about cross-network stuff as they do now.
[/quote]

...could be because Lynde was already established on Squares and ABC really wanted him.   The Klugman/Match Game '73 scenario was the reverse of that.

Edit: we could also be talking about different issues with different contracts.  

Or, it could have nothing to do with any of this.  (But I do think it was at least one factor.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:04:27 PM by cweaver »

Eric Paddon

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2006, 12:17:22 AM »
I finally got a chance to see the episode today and I found it to be an enjoyable way of seeing a transition episode between the CBS format and the later ABC years.      This filled a great void in game show history for the collectors!

The one thing about the format I didn't like was the one loss and out aspect.   Though seeing that finally explained why they did it that way plot wise in the "Odd Couple" episode.

cweaver

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2006, 12:42:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'131813\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 11:17 PM\']
I finally got a chance to see the episode today and I found it to be an enjoyable way of seeing a transition episode between the CBS format and the later ABC years.      This filled a great void in game show history for the collectors!
[/quote]

I'm quite happy to have this one too.  For 30 minutes I was once again eight years old, home from school sick and sipping Lipton's soup and watching the show.

That Don Guy

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'131004\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 06:11 AM\']
Sadly, I missed the intro [my tape lacks the first 3 min.] but I thought it was interesting. Not much change to the game-the [IIRC] doubler word after the lightning round was all I noticed.
[/quote]
I didn't see the episode in question, but the only differences I remember from the early years of the ABC episodes from the CBS ones, besides the betting word, was (a) ABC started "play or pass", and (b) on ABC, words were thrown out after they got past five points.
(Or did they not have play/pass and/or they played down to one point in the earliest ABC days?)
Later, they changed it to 2 out of 3 and made the lightning round $100/word, but I didn't see very many of those episodes (that's what happens when the episodes air at 12:30 Pacific during your elementary school years), so I'm not very sure of the specifics.

-- Don

Ian Wallis

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2006, 09:07:50 AM »
(Or did they not have play/pass and/or they played down to one point in the earliest ABC days?)

I haven't seen it - yet - but here's another difference I've noticed.  From online pix I've seen, the earliest ABC episodes still had the same kind of scoreboard that the CBS version had, but in this episode they have the "eggcrate" readouts.  It was around that time that the eggcrates started to become standard for game shows.  I guess they made the switch pretty early in the run.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!