Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Password on GSN  (Read 6456 times)

pyrfan

Super Password on GSN
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:51:51 PM »
Either this Tuesday or next Tuesday, the first episode of "Super Password" where Gene Wood whispers the password to the audience will air on GSN at 4:00 p.m., with celebrities Abby Dalton and Richard Kline. It's also the first one where the contestants are already on the set at the beginning and with the new camera angles in the end game. I can't say I was in favor of either of the first two changes, but I got used to the third one.

Brendan

bandit_bobby

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 04:52:18 PM »
I'm not sure why they skipped the intended week's episodes that were supposed to air. Did royalties get in the way again?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Super Password on GSN
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'134583\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 03:52 PM\']
I'm not sure why they skipped the intended week's episodes that were supposed to air. Did royalties get in the way again?
[/quote]
I'm not sure they actually skipped.  The celebrity week now airing with Struthers, Vaccaro, et al apparently aired later in the year, according to this episode guide that Brendan contributed to.  Generally GSN runs things in order of taping, which isn't necessarily order of airing.  For a stand-alone week like this was, it's not inconceivable that this week was held back by NBC to air later on.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

pyrfan

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 11:19:36 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134596\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 07:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'134583\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 03:52 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm not sure they actually skipped.  The celebrity week now airing with Struthers, Vaccaro, et al apparently aired later in the year, according to this episode guide that Brendan contributed to.  Generally GSN runs things in order of taping, which isn't necessarily order of airing.  For a stand-alone week like this was, it's not inconceivable that this week was held back by NBC to air later on.

Doug
[/quote]
Yep. For some reason, the first all-star week didn't air until December of that year. I remember thinking it was weird to not hear Gene's voice when the passwords came on-screen.

Brendan

tyshaun1

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134596\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 08:29 PM\']
  Generally GSN runs things in order of taping, which isn't necessarily order of airing.  For a stand-alone week like this was, it's not inconceivable that this week was held back by NBC to air later on.

Doug
[/quote]

And going by the gameplay on this week's episodes, I can see why NBC would push them to a low viewership week.

Tyshaun

catnap1972

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 04:05:26 PM »
Well, the intended week was skipped for another "all star" week, but Gene does in fact whisper the passwords, so it's a wash I guess.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:06:11 PM by catnap1972 »

SRIV94

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 04:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'135484\' date=\'Oct 24 2006, 03:05 PM\']
Well, the intended week was skipped for another "all star" week, but Gene does in fact whisper the passwords, so it's a wash I guess.
[/quote]
Maybe not.  They may still be airing in order taped, rather than order aired.  So this may be the first week with the whispered passwords, even if they didn't air that way.

We may not know for a few weeks.  One thing to keep in mind--there was a strange moment in the 11/21/86 ep with Teresa Ganzel and Jamie Farr (which should air on GSN in a few weeks):  Convy tries to plug Ganzel's appearance in the miniseries FRESNO (the one that Ganzel had to bolt from a Davidson HSq taping to continue filming on), only to have Ganzel tell Convy sheepishly, "I think it aired last week."  So by that point, it seems they were somehow cognizant of the airdate, even with all of the out-of-order airing.

ObTeresaGanzel:  Met her a couple of times during my two trips to L.A. for the Congreff.  Lovely lady.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:22:38 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

catnap1972

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 10:22:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'135490\' date=\'Oct 24 2006, 04:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'135484\' date=\'Oct 24 2006, 03:05 PM\']
[/quote]
Maybe not.  They may still be airing in order taped, rather than order aired.  So this may be the first week with the whispered passwords, even if they didn't air that way.[/quote]

Bert made a subtle mention in today's (10/25) show about it being "November" (the 4th, I think I heard).  If I'm not mistaken, on the first (aired) episode where Gene whispered the passwords, didn't they put him on camera quite a few times?

Being that they finally got to an endgame today we see they added the "split screen" effect right around the same time.

tvmitch

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
I enjoy both changes. I think the split screen bonus round was a great addition, as it lets us see both players' faces and expressions.
You should follow me on Twitter

mmb5

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 04:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'135490\' date=\'Oct 24 2006, 04:20 PM\']
We may not know for a few weeks.  One thing to keep in mind--there was a strange moment in the 11/21/86 ep with Teresa Ganzel and Jamie Farr (which should air on GSN in a few weeks):  Convy tries to plug Ganzel's appearance in the miniseries FRESNO (the one that Ganzel had to bolt from a Davidson HSq taping to continue filming on), only to have Ganzel tell Convy sheepishly, "I think it aired last week."  So by that point, it seems they were somehow cognizant of the airdate, even with all of the out-of-order airing.
Doug
[/quote]
Fresno aired from 11/16-11/20.  It had the problem that its Wednesday episode was pre-empted by a Reagan press conference, so they had to air it at 11:35/10:35 for the East/Central people.  It's final rating (the Thursday episode) was a 12.7, which was bottom third then and would have been the #5 show between Without a Trace and Desparate Housewives last week.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

SRIV94

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'135693\' date=\'Oct 26 2006, 03:09 PM\']
Fresno aired from 11/16-11/20.  It had the problem that its Wednesday episode was pre-empted by a Reagan press conference, so they had to air it at 11:35/10:35 for the East/Central people.  It's final rating (the Thursday episode) was a 12.7, which was bottom third then and would have been the #5 show between Without a Trace and Desparate Housewives last week.
[/quote]
Then my airdate is screwed up.  What I thought was 11/21 was actually 11/24--whatever the Monday before Thanksgiving was.  The SP episode guide site is down, so I'm not able to officially check at the moment.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 begins
Doug

pyrfan

Super Password on GSN
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 11:40:07 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'135696\' date=\'Oct 26 2006, 03:20 PM\']
Then my airdate is screwed up.  What I thought was 11/21 was actually 11/24--whatever the Monday before Thanksgiving was.  The SP episode guide site is down, so I'm not able to officially check at the moment.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 begins
[/quote]
You're right, Doug: The Monday episode originally aired on November 24th. Because of two news bulletins in the next week, though, two episodes got bumped till later, and they taped some four-day weeks to get back on track, which they finally did at the end of the year.

Stay tuned in a few weeks for a really funny episode with Leann Hunley and Richard Simmons.

Brendan