Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More of 'I've Got A Secret'?  (Read 6520 times)

entguy1

More of 'I've Got A Secret'?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »
I completely agree with your assessment of the Oxygen IGAS, but I think you're way off base here.  If you're going to make sweeping generalizations about gays and game shows, I'd much prefer that you point to Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly and Fannie Flagg as your examples than the talentless Bullock.

OK, there's my celebrity outing of the day. No idea about Ms. Flagg. In hindsight (mind you, I am GSN-impaired), are there any illusions to this on MG? (And I did find other documentation, thanks to nndb.com.)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 07:10:43 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'133470\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 04:25 PM\']
OK, there's my celebrity outing of the day. No idea about Ms. Flagg. In hindsight (mind you, I am GSN-impaired), are there any illusions to this on MG? [/quote]
Well isn't our purpose here to learn?

I don't think there was anything obvious during Match Game, though pairing her with Dick Sargent on Tattletales probably could have thrown up some flags. (So to speak...)  I don't think she came out until relatively recently, as a celebrated author.  Hard to answer questions about Fried Green Tomatoes being autobiographical without addressing the sexuality.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 11:16:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'133404\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 08:17 AM\']
The GSN panel is terrific, a fine mix of serious game players (mostly Bean) and laugh getters (mostly DeCaro).  Even Jermaine, who essentially has the Betsy Palmer/Jm J Bullock role of "ditz", is still a better game player than either of them were.
[/quote]

I take umbrage with two of your points, Mr. Moderator:
1. Jm J. wasn't THAT bad on the Squares, it's just unfortunate that he was the biggest star they had to offer. And there was his sterling work on "Too Close for Comfort" to consider before we call him talentless.
2. Betsy Palmer wasn't that bad at playing the game, was she? She was even great as moderator the once they had her try it.

Don Howard

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 11:27:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'133495\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 07:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'133470\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 04:25 PM\']
OK, there's my celebrity outing of the day. No idea about Ms. Flagg. In hindsight (mind you, I am GSN-impaired), are there any illusions to this on MG? [/quote]
Well isn't our purpose here to learn?

I don't think there was anything obvious during Match Game, though pairing her with Dick Sargent on Tattletales probably could have thrown up some flags. (So to speak...)[/quote]
Dick Sargent?!? You learn every day, don't you?
Back to the matter of Jm J., when restrained he can be entertaining. He was able to rein himself in on The New Battlestars. Then came Davidson Squares and....watch out!!

cweaver

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 01:23:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'133548\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 10:16 AM\']
Betsy Palmer wasn't that bad at playing the game, was she? She was even great as moderator the once they had her try it.
[/quote]

Perhaps "ditz" was a reference to her persona (although I never thought of her that way) moreso than her game playing ability.  Remember, John Davidson portrayed himself as a "himbo" on the Marshall Hollywood Squares but was actually a brilliant game player.  He would act dumb as a stick, then pretend to take a wild guess...and deliver the right answer, sometimes on the most unlikely questions.

cweaver

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 01:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'133674\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:27 AM\']

Dick Sargent?!? You learn every day, don't you? [/quote]

You didn't know about Dick Sargent?  Really?  Yeah, he came out in the early 1990s and even did a riveting, soul-baring interview with Geraldo Rivera about his years of dealing with it.

You should check out the A&E Biography on Elizabeth Montgomery, which touches on his sexuality and eventual coming out.  It's a real eye-opener.  Her role in all of this just made me think that much more highly of her.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 11:52:12 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133699\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 01:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'133548\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 10:16 AM\']
Betsy Palmer wasn't that bad at playing the game, was she? She was even great as moderator the once they had her try it.
[/quote]
Perhaps "ditz" was a reference to her persona (although I never thought of her that way) moreso than her game playing ability.  [/quote]
Betsy was charming and sweet, and yes, she did just fine as a moderator, but she was a horrible game player.  At least horrible by Goodson standards, but she still served her purpose. This is the woman for whom the show set up a secret for her alone to guess.  A contestant came in with carrots in his ears.  His secret was he had carrots in his ears.  She didn't get it.

Still, her earnestness and her joy in participating (also apparent in Jermaine Taylor) lifted her far about the childish mugging of Jm J.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 11:56:06 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'133773\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 11:52 PM\']This is the woman for whom the show set up a secret for her alone to guess.  A contestant came in with carrots in his ears.  His secret was he had carrots in his ears.  She didn't get it.[/quote]
I'm going to assume, not having seen the episode in question, that she was somehow completely oblivious to the carrots, but that still irks me a bit. If he has carrots sticking out of his ears, then that fact is, how do you say, not a secret. If I'm on the panel, I'd probably get that question out of the way first, but I'm going to hope that there's actually some weird reason for the carrots that relates to the actual secret.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Neumms

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 03:34:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'133773\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:52 PM\']
Betsy was charming and sweet, and yes, she did just fine as a moderator, but she was a horrible game player.  At least horrible by Goodson standards, but she still served her purpose. This is the woman for whom the show set up a secret for her alone to guess.  A contestant came in with carrots in his ears.  His secret was he had carrots in his ears.  She didn't get it.
[/quote]

What a funny bit. If they actually refer to how bad a player she was ON THE SHOW then, yeah, I guess she was lousy. And as you say, charmingly so.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 04:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133701\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 01:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'133674\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:27 AM\']

Dick Sargent?!? You learn every day, don't you? [/quote]

You didn't know about Dick Sargent?  Really?  Yeah, he came out in the early 1990s and even did a riveting, soul-baring interview with Geraldo Rivera about his years of dealing with it.
[/quote]

Considering the source of the question, I'm willing to bet that it wasn't really serious.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

mmb5

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 04:40:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'133966\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:37 PM\']
Considering the source of the question, I'm willing to bet that it wasn't really serious.
[/quote]
A more reputable source

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 04:42:51 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'133968\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'133966\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:37 PM\']
[/quote]
A more reputable source

--Mike
[/quote]

That's not what I meant...I meant that considering Don's penchant for sarcastic humor, his question wasn't really serious.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022