Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you remember your first...  (Read 6163 times)

Yogi007

Do you remember your first...
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 12:33:48 PM »
I can't remember how old I was, but I believe it was before I was 10 (that year was 1974) when I received Concentration.  I also enjoyed trying to figure out the puzzle but not understanding the solution at times.  I also received The Hollywood Squares too, and I remember being upset that the TV/movie stars from the show was not on the box.  The box had animated people on it instead.  That did not diminish the fact that I liked the game.  I can't remember which versions of the games I got.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

KrisW73

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »
Family Feud 3rd edition (MB) for Xmas 1979.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:41:27 PM by KrisW73 »

ITSBRY

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »
I wasn't into game shows hard core until my early teens. I know my first game was Wheel of Fortune...from probably 87 or 88. The second was Hollywood Squares...from around the same time. I bought them both with my own money as I recall and I still have 'em! ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:52:14 PM by ITSBRY »

TimK2003

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 02:13:44 PM »
The 2 earliest recollections were around '71 or '72.  They were "Password" and "Concentration", but I don't remember which one I got first.

I remember being a little upset on the "Concentration" game because on the box cover, the number squares were blue (my favorite color ath the time), but inside the plastic number tabs were white numbers on *red* squares.

I don't think I ever played the Password game as it was meant to be played.   At the time, I was more fascinated on the wallets with the little red windows.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 03:30:10 PM »
My first was either Password Plus (1st edition) or Concentration (22nd edition).  Both of those came out at roughly the same time, so it's hard to say which one I got first.  I recall being stumped by the first Concentration rebus, "Cigar Store Indian," because, as a kid in 1979-80, it was not a phrase I had ever had much reason to hear.

I later rid myself of both games in a fit of game-closet cleaning, only to acquire the first two editions of P+ and the first edition of Concentration (complete with Christmas gift tag to some kid named Jim inside) from eBay many years later.

hines2000

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
My first games were Concentration and Password around 1970 (I was 10 at the time). My Mom gave them to me ... and I've been hosting game shows at home (and a few other places) ever since then! I went from writing out Cross Wits puzzles on chalkboard to a box for the $25,000 Pyramid complete with Christmas lights to Press Your Luck programmed on an IBM PCjr to Computer Game Shows today!

Eric

calliaume

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »
Jeopardy 2nd edition, Password 7th edition, Eye Guess 2nd edition (I think), and Concentration 10th edition, probably in that order.  All before I graduated from kindergarten in June 1968.

Thanks to Matt Ottinger's page, I pieced some of these memories together (can't believe I remember what the boxes looked like).

alfonzos

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »
At the tender age of four I received the Second Edition of Concentration .
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

deknaj

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:59 AM »
Mine was the future collectors dream come true....or would that be nightmare....I was in a 'dime store' with my grandparents and there facing me were Price is Right and Match Game...I could only have one....I chose TPIR, brought it home and within a day or so it was completely screwed up by my little brother....had I known then what I know now I would have knocked him senseless for that...even though he was just a kid.

davemackey

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 07:02:53 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'131171\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 09:56 PM\']
Jeopardy 2nd edition, Password 7th edition, Eye Guess 2nd edition (I think), and Concentration 10th edition, probably in that order.  All before I graduated from kindergarten in June 1968.

Thanks to Matt Ottinger's page, I pieced some of these memories together (can't believe I remember what the boxes looked like).
[/quote]
I have to concur with Curt... all those were floating around our house in the 60's (Mom and Dad must have somehow known), and we also received not one, but TWO copies of the "Eye Guess" home game one Christmas. (The one with the fake-looking logo that looked nothing like the real "Eye Guess" logo.)

aaron sica

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2006, 09:54:54 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'131354\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 07:02 AM\']

I have to concur with Curt... all those were floating around our house in the 60's (Mom and Dad must have somehow known), and we also received not one, but TWO copies of the "Eye Guess" home game one Christmas. (The one with the fake-looking logo that looked nothing like the real "Eye Guess" logo.)
[/quote]

Seeing as how you and Robair are both huge game show fans......Did you two play a lot of home games together "back in the day"?

snowpeck

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 01:02:35 AM »
For me, it was one of 3 games... can't remember which came first.  It was either a second-hand copy of the late 70s Tic Tac Dough, Wheel of Fortune Jr. Edition, or a secondhand Password.  Can't remember the year, but the decoders were blue plastic (not like the leatherette of other editions).

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 07:57:15 PM »
I remember being upset when seeing the NBC bookshelf box games at a friend's house and wondering why our local NBC station didn't carry "Rhyme Time," etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2006, 03:38:58 PM »
the only toy from my childhood, period--to survive into adulthood without either being thrown away, destroyed by my younger brother or sold at a yard sale.
Are you sure we're not related?

It's a good thing I never owned the Hope Diamond as a kid or my mother would have given it to my aunt who would have sold it at a garage sale for $20. Then some jackass from Palo Alto would be going around bragging about how he bought the Hope Diamond (which used to belong to ME) for $20 at a garage sale. At least my mother could have waited until my corpse was cold before she started to liquidate my estate :-P

(True story: there was once a garage sale in Palo Alto where someone, not knowing the value of the merchandise in their possession, sold a lamp for $50. The buyer of the lamp took it to an antique appraiser who determined that it was a genuine Tiffany lamp worth a couple of thousand dollars. This story is courtesy of my aunt the garage sale maven, who was not the seller of the lamp.)

ObGameShows: Kenny Williams and his wife used to own an antique store in Santa Monica, California. I'll bet they knew the true value of a Tiffany lamp ;-)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:40:36 PM by chris319 »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2006, 06:43:05 PM »
Coming in late here...

[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'131039\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 11:20 AM\']

I had the 1st and 3rd editions [of Price] but was bummed because I missed 2nd, with Mystery Price and Double Digits, the exotic games they stopped playing. If they'd had the Shower Game, oh heavens.
[/quote]

If it makes you feel any better, the 2nd edition had Double Prices.  Double Digits has never been in a home game.

And Shower Game didn't come around until 1978, anyway, so that would have been sorta hard. ;-)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:43:23 PM by Steve Gavazzi »