Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you remember your first...  (Read 6160 times)

tomobrien

Do you remember your first...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »
When I was five, I got the Video Village game.  I thought it was very cool at the time, particularly the turning dice cage...

cweaver

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 11:50:41 PM »
When I was about 11, we all got three at once: Password, Jeopardy! and The Hollywood Squares.  Believe it or not, Squares is the only one of the three--and the only toy from my childhood, period--to survive into adulthood without either being thrown away, destroyed by my younger brother or sold at a yard sale.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 12:07:32 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130971\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 10:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' post=\'130969\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 08:08 PM\']
I got a 3rd edition TPIR and a Concentration game.  I remember it was a 3rd edition because it had it's version of the wheel in it, that all the different cardboard numbers for every different game.
[/quote]
First or second didn't have those? I had one of the 70's Price home games, too, and I remember that being in there. The Showcase Showdown wheel was my favorite part. (Okay, behind Shell Game.)
[/quote]
Shell Game was in the 3rd edition.  That was the only MB edition the wheel was in.
The other two did have those small cardboard thingies tho.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 12:12:53 AM »
After having so much fun playing it at a friend's house, my first game show home game was an Easter gift (which was rare..I didn't get anything (besides candy) very often) - for Easter 1981, the 4th edition of "Family Feud".

humba33

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 12:41:53 AM »
My first game show board game was Sale of the Century which came with a buzzer system called Quizzard. Anyone remember this one? Five decks of prize cards: $5 Instant Bargains, $10 Bargains, $15 Bargains, Fame Game, and Winner's Prize.  Because of this show, I taught myself to use the VCR to tape it everyday to watch when I came home from school. One time, I accidentally taped over one of my school band concerts, which made my mom pretty mad, but also made her realize that the board game might be a good present. Unfortunately, I didn't really have anybody to play it with, and I was only 10 at the time, so the game is long gone.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 01:04:19 AM »
The Junior version of wheel of fortune, circa October 1989. Junior Jeopardy! came in around Christmas '89 as well. I kept the Junior! game throughout my childhood (and the three years of my adulthood too).

Oddly enough, I thought I could interchange the junior board with the newer answer/question set, when all I could actually use was both the blue board and the red one (to alternate rounds...pretty weird considering that was 3 years ago).

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 02:26:55 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'130975\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 10:22 PM\']
My grandparents got me a Concentration home game for Christmas, the month before I turned four.  That would have made it Christmas of 1960.  I remember that the rebus on the box was "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too".  It was probably the second edition, but I couldn't be sure of that.

Yup, I was into game shows as soon as I knew what they were!  And I was good at guessing the puzzles, too.
[/quote]

Good Grief!  And here I thought I'd be the first one here to claim that my first was that same Second Edition under the family Christmas tree in 1960!  I loved that Schaper-green (my name for that color plastic even though MB made the game) frame--the only edition to use that color.  As for the rebus on the box cover, my five-year-old mind tried to decipher it as "Tie-Puh-Wastebasket-????-Ler-Ribbon"

Not long after that, I got the Video Village home game, and, in order to make the at-home play experience more like the show, I took one of the $20 bills and wrote "Village Bus" on the back of it in black magic marker, then at the game's end I put the two plastic people on it and pulled on the bill to take them back to start while singing the Village Bus song.  My sister used to make up whacked-out lyrics to that song when she sang it.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 02:32:39 AM »
Mine was "Shenanigans." when I was five.  The home game was so colorful, I was surprised to later learn the show itself was always in B&W.  

My parents pretty much took the MB age recommendation literally, so if a game was for 10 and up, they wouldn't get it for me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 04:21:05 AM »
The first home game I played was a Concentration game(not sure what edition it was).  I played it at my uncle Jimmy's house either in the late 60's or early 70's.  That became one of the first 2 games that I had.  The other one was probably a mid 60's edition of Password.  I played that one at my cousin Neal's house.  The first home game that I truly bought was the nid 80's Pressman WoF edition.  I got it in the summer of 1986 while visiting my brother Eric who was in California at the time.

As to $otC, yes I do remember the Quizzard as well as the other components of the game.  That was my favoritte of the home games in my collection for many years.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 08:24:44 AM »
Wow.  No clue.  It seems pretty likely it was a Concentration, but I suspect it was a much later edition than Mr. O's.  (I came a little late to this party, but made up for lost time rapidly.)  I think the one I was most excited about was the arrival of the first New Price is Right--and, shortly thereafter, it was the most disappointing. Pricing games without real prices: what a concept!
czambo@mac.com

Ian Wallis

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 09:16:01 AM »
Believe it or not, Squares is the only one of the three--and the only toy from my childhood, period--to survive into adulthood without either being thrown away, destroyed by my younger brother or sold at a yard sale.

Same here!  The Squares game I've got is still near mint to this day.  The 2nd edition of The New Price is Right is I got in the '70s is barely noticable now!  (I'm not sure how it got that way as I've always been very careful to keep things as close to mint as possible).

I think the first I got was either Concentration or Beat the Clock.  For the record, both of those are still near mint too!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 09:38:55 AM »
Mine was the 1987 "High Rollers" board game.

I got it when I was 4; I had no idea it was even a game show when I got it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 09:39:12 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »
Old guy - old game. My first was Lowell's Beat The Clock..a gift from grandmother at age 5. And it was about 5 days before I got curious about the timer, and you can guess the rest...

Neumms

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 11:20:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130971\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 10:09 PM\']
First or second didn't have those? I had one of the 70's Price home games, too, and I remember that being in there. The Showcase Showdown wheel was my favorite part. (Okay, behind Shell Game.)
[/quote]

I had the 1st and 3rd editions but was bummed because I missed 2nd, with Mystery Price and Double Digits, the exotic games they stopped playing. If they'd had the Shower Game, oh heavens. One of only two times I saw my first grade teacher mad was when I was playing TPIR with Jackie Davis during reading time.

My first games, though, were Concentration and Beat the Clock. I must've received three different copies of Concentration during my youth because I always lost the number tiles.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 11:37:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'131039\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 08:20 AM\']
One of only two times I saw my first grade teacher mad was when I was playing TPIR with Jackie Davis during reading time.
[/quote]
Is THAT what they called it those days? :)
I must've received three different copies of Concentration during my youth because I always lost the number tiles.
I always managed to tear the puzzle scroll.

(Tape? What's tape?) :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe