Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Survivor: Cook Islands cast/twist announced..  (Read 1978 times)

weaklink75

Survivor: Cook Islands cast/twist announced..
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »
They announced the cast for Survivor this morning, and this years first twist: 4 tribes of 5, split by ethnicity; White, African-American, Asian-American, and Latino. It's going to cause some buzz, that's for sure...Here's a pic of the cast and some info...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'128622\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 07:10 AM\']
They announced the cast for Survivor this morning, and this years first twist: 4 tribes of 5, split by ethnicity; White, African-American, Asian-American, and Latino.
[/quote]
They've gone batshiat insane. People are gonna FREAK. Now, maybe that's what they want, but I don't see said freaking being in a good way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:11:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm not opposed to it or anything, but racially dividing groups isn't exactly PC. I'm just sick of Survivor, period.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128636\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 10:11 AM\']
Yeah, I'm not opposed to it or anything, but racially dividing groups isn't exactly PC. I'm just sick of Survivor, period.
[/quote]

It does pose an interesting moral question, though:

When tribes are joined, and one dominates the other in size, there is often a "culling of the herd", if you will.  Are people willing to split the line between that and, say, getting rid of all the people of a certain color?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'128656\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 09:52 AM\']
When tribes are joined, and one dominates the other in size, there is often a "culling of the herd", if you will.  Are people willing to split the line between that and, say, getting rid of all the people of a certain color?
[/quote]
Oh, yeah, there's a whole CASE of worms waiting to be opened here. Then there will be the inevitable comparisons between the lifestyles of the players based on how their camps are set up.

The one thing they have going for them is that under their new system they will merge into two tribes early on, probably at sixteen players. With that merge will very likely be a complete player reset. So if it's only four weeks, it might be over with before everyone figures out what a really friggin' bad idea this is.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:30:39 PM by clemon79 »

WhammyPower

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »
Even though I thought Survivor jumped the shark by having a second season, it definitely seems to have here.

/Go digg it
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:36:03 PM by WhammyPower »

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 01:41:14 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'128667\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 10:34 AM\']
Even though I thought Survivor jumped the shark by having a second season,
[/quote]
Are you KIDDING? Do you remember the numbers the first season pulled? If they DIDN'T then someone should have been fired.

You impress me, though. You certainly have this "useless crap" thing down to a science.

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 03:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'128626\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 09:20 AM\']
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'128622\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 07:10 AM\']
They announced the cast for Survivor this morning, and this years first twist: 4 tribes of 5, split by ethnicity; White, African-American, Asian-American, and Latino.
[/quote]
They've gone batshiat insane. People are gonna FREAK. Now, maybe that's what they want, but I don't see said freaking being in a good way.
[/quote]

It's like Burnett wants the op-ed pieces, non-TV blog postings and NPR commentaries.  I guess in his mind, as long as they spell his name right and say that it's on CBS Thursday nights...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:10:55 PM by uncamark »

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 03:52:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'128688\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 12:10 PM\']
It's like Burnett wants the op-ed pieces, non-TV blog postings and NPR commentaries.  I guess in his mind, as long as they spell his name right and say that it's on CBS Thursday nights...
[/quote]
That could be. I guess I just come from the "sometimes, yeah, there IS such a thing as bad publicity" school of thought.

Speedy G

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »
They've gone batshiat insane.

I don't think anything else needs to be said, really...

Didn't someone cancel a reality show before it ever aired just because of the bad press that came from the very idea of looking at (read:exploiting for the sake of ratings) race relations?

(Oh, and why try to cast diverse people from all over the country when you can cast media whores from California?  Makes me wonder who's on Dancing with the Stars this season...)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 06:53:56 PM by Speedy G »
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*