The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

IGAS B&W Winston eps questions

(1/2) > >>

That Don Guy:
A couple of questions about the Winston-sponsored episodes of IGAS on GSN's Black & White Overnight:

1.  I know there was a time when GSN wouldn't, or couldn't (because of the ban on cigarette advertising on TV), air them, although an occasional Christmas episode got through.  When did GSN start airing these on a regular basis?

2.  The show's opening mentions the night's sponsor when it's, say, Bufferin or Clairol, but when Winston sponsors an episode, it's just \"I've Got a Secret, starring Garry Moore\".  Was this the way it originally aired (and if so, why), or did GSN have to do some creative editing (and if they did, somebody did a very good job) of the kinescopes?

(I still like my original idea - every time somebody mentions Winston, or another cigarette company (for example, Old Gold on Two for the Money), have a voiceover like the old \"Burt Ludden\" commercials.)

TV Favorites:
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 03:08 PM\'] A couple of questions about the Winston-sponsored episodes of IGAS on GSN's Black & White Overnight:

1.  I know there was a time when GSN wouldn't, or couldn't (because of the ban on cigarette advertising on TV), air them, although an occasional Christmas episode got through.  When did GSN start airing these on a regular basis?

2.  The show's opening mentions the night's sponsor when it's, say, Bufferin or Clairol, but when Winston sponsors an episode, it's just "I've Got a Secret, starring Garry Moore".  Was this the way it originally aired (and if so, why), or did GSN have to do some creative editing (and if they did, somebody did a very good job) of the kinescopes?

(I still like my original idea - every time somebody mentions Winston, or another cigarette company (for example, Old Gold on Two for the Money), have a voiceover like the old "Burt Ludden" commercials.) [/quote]
 I'm not exactly sure what the ban on cigarette advertising extends to, but I think it allows cigarettes to be seen on shows as prizes, but not to be advertised as to entice buying.  I think GSN may have not aired the episodes in the past, not because they couldn't, but because they could only do so by editing out the cigarette plugs.

For the second question, I suspect there was a similar plug for cigarettes just like any other product at the beginning of the show, but GSN has edited them out.  Sometimes you'll notice an abrupt cut to a commercial during the opening of the shows.  That's usually a place where a plug has been edited.  Note that GSN doesn't edit the kinescopes themselves, but they edit the copy of the show they have on digibeta.

ilb4ever2000:
Speaking of cigarettes on IGAS: Is it just me or have they not shown Cavalier-sponsored shows (weren't some of those blurred out?)?

MCArroyo1:

--- Quote ---Is it just me or have they not shown Cavalier-sponsored shows (weren't some of those blurred out?)?
--- End quote ---
It's just you.  GSN doesn't have too many, but once they get to the beginning of the run, Cavalier episodes do air.

As for the commercials, I doubt that they actually edit the opening.  My hunch is that Winston never requested that a promo be shown at the start of the show, given how GSN does such a bad job cutting to commercial breaks, and how the opening theme sounds uninterrupted.

Matt Ottinger:
GSN first aired cigarette-sponsored shows on a \"regular\" basis back in September, 1997.  On Friday nights for a few weeks, they would air what they called \"The Lost Episodes\".  That included TTTT, IGAS and -- for the first time on the network -- Two for the Money and Judge for Yourself.  Any explicit ads were edited out, and in addition to the shows themselves, we were also treated to some vintage anti-smoking PSAs.

There was a lot of speculation on Usenet back then about how GSN was able to air the shows (including assuming that they were \"forced\" to air the PSAs as part of a compromise).  My understanding today is that they just decided to do it and never actually sought permission from the FCC, FTC or anybody.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version