Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Audition Information & Tips  (Read 12386 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Audition Information & Tips
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 01:53:23 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'127301\' date=\'Aug 13 2006, 07:34 PM\']
Another question popped into my head.  Does it matter how well dressed you are or does the contestant coordinators see through that (no superman vision jokes please)?  I am thinking of showing up in a t-shirt, jeans, and a sport coat over it.  Does that sound too different to detract them from picking me?
[/quote]I think that you would want to show up for a game show interview wearing what you would wear to a job interview. For me, it was slacks and a dress shirt, but then again that's what I wear every day anyhow. They probably don't want someone who just threw together a pair of ratty jeans and a stained t-shirt, but I'm only guessing.
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 07:07:45 AM »
Dress like you would be impressing a date. Because you really are a-courtin' producers and contestant coordinators (excuse me, CASTING DIRECTORS. hmmmph.) .

At the Weakest Link auditions, some folks wore a t shirt under a blazer that said "You are the Weakest Link. Goodbye". They didn't get picked.  Get it? Don't put on a show. Be. Yourself.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

rebelwrest

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:35:36 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'127315\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 07:07 AM\']
Don't put on a show. Be. Yourself.
[/quote]

That is myself, always different than everyone else.  Just because some people didn't get picked because they wore that style of dress doesn't mean that is why they didn't get picked.

If you think the suit and tie or business casual (I hate that term) is how most contestants get on to show after the test, I might as well treat this as a job interview.  Fake it til' you make it.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 09:25:55 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'127322\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 05:35 AM\']I might as well treat this as a job interview.  Fake it til' you make it.[/quote]You're not getting it. The "Millionaire" contestant coordinators are not going to put on someone with a rainbow mohawk, eleventy billion piercings and an AC(lightning bolt)DC shirt and so on. They will more likely pass that person over for someone wearing something that you would see in an office building. Watch the show. Watch Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune...just about every other game show with the exception of The Price is Right has men wearing suits and ties, women in dresses or blouses...it's the norm. You are the one that has to conform to what the pickers want. If you expect them to overlook the way that you dress because of the brilliant way that you play the game, you will lose. It does not work that way.

That's not to say that you can't let your true personality shine throughout the whole process. If you happen to mark out for a particular sports team or enjoy a certain genre of music, come prepared with an anecdote about how you spent ten hours in the blistering cold for seats, and so on.

It's unfair, sure, but the way you look is the first way the coordinators will judge you. Better to ask them what you can wear when on camera once you get over that hurdle.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:26:14 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'127322\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 08:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'127315\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 07:07 AM\']
Don't put on a show. Be. Yourself.
[/quote]

That is myself, always different than everyone else.  Just because some people didn't get picked because they wore that style of dress doesn't mean that is why they didn't get picked.
[/quote]

Then dress the way you want. And quit asking for advice.

[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'127322\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 08:35 AM\']
  Fake it til' you make it.
[/quote]

Yeah, good luck. You'll need it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

goongas

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 11:46:41 AM »
You're not getting it. The "Millionaire" contestant coordinators are not going to put on someone with a rainbow mohawk, eleventy billion piercings and an AC(lightning bolt)DC shirt and so on. They will more likely pass that person over for someone wearing something that you would see in an office building.

I disagree with this advice.  If you watch the syndicated show, you will notice that many of the men do not wear suits on the show.  They have even toned down Meredith's wardrobe so she is not usually wearing a suit.  For Millionaire, they tell you to dress business casual.  I think wearing a suit for Millionaire is overkill.  I think even wearing a nice T-Shirt is fine.  I don't think the wardrobe is the deal breaker, for Millionaire at least.  To be comfortable in what you are wearing is very important.  If those that do not know, the associate producers for Millionaire are in their late twenties, and they dress casually themselves.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 11:58:31 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'127341\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 08:46 AM\']
You're not getting it. The "Millionaire" contestant coordinators are not going to put on someone with a rainbow mohawk, eleventy billion piercings and an AC(lightning bolt)DC shirt and so on. They will more likely pass that person over for someone wearing something that you would see in an office building.

I disagree with this advice.  If you watch the syndicated show, you will notice that many of the men do not wear suits on the show.
[/quote]
You'll also notice that they don't have rainbow mohawks and fourteen facial piercings.

Disagree all you want, but rebelwrest has his answers now, and it's on him to decide who's advice he wants to take.

I know who I'd choose.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Moe Train

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 12:09:25 PM »
Tryouts are AUDITIONS. You're onstage from the moment you walk in the door. Dress well, but not over the top. Of course, as everyone knows, appearance is very important on TV, but some shows consider that more important than others. Rub someone the wrong way, and you're out. Catch someone's eye/ear, and you've got your foot in the door. Perform well with charisma and character, and you're almost there. Have a good rapport with everyone involved, do well with your written test/on camera audition, and you may just get picked.

I've auditioned for a lot of things, and also was chosen to appear on Chain Reaction after my first audition. As a matter of fact, they brought us on the show immediately to tape it.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'127351\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 09:09 AM\']
I've auditioned for a lot of things, and also was chosen to appear on Chain Reaction after my first audition. As a matter of fact, they brought us on the show immediately to tape it.
[/quote]
Well, you and your teammates WERE very nattily attired for the occasion. ;)

Moe Train

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 02:44:05 PM »
ha.. I guess you saw the show.  Yes, we were in ties, BUT all of the production staff came over to us saying, "WOW!  You're in ties!  You're the first ones yet on the show to wear them!"

It's was a good thing we were "pimped out" since we WON the game!! I still wish we tripled.  SO CLOSE.

BTW, for the audition, we all were in jeans, casual button up shirts, and we all had sandals on (coincidence).  We were very talkative to all of the staff, and hit it off with everyone right away.  I think it was important to be remembered by the staff, so when they saw our audition video, it was a quick recall.  I plan on using my Chain Reaction tape to submit to other gameshows...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:46:39 PM by Moe Train »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
I'm 2 for 2 in tryouts, so I guess I'm doing something right.  One thing I made a special point of doing both times was to interact positively with the other players.  Clap or congratulate them when they do something good, even if it was at your own expense.  I've got a feeling that coordinators prefer to see that than to see someone totally focussed on his own performance.  You don't get anything for winning the mock game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Moe Train

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »
I agree about being positive and upbeat in the audition.  All smiles and great energy are very attractive in the casting process.  Don't down the other people when you're there.  

When we did the mock game, we got the second fastest time in completing the chain.  Also, when they took a Polaroid of our team before we did our mock game in front of the camera, Ry and I basically picked up Matt and took our pic like that.  Fun things like that can get you remembered!

Once you're on the game, and you have a little chemistry between you and your opponents, a little lightheated ribbing is ok.  If anyone saw my show last Thursday, you could see that we had good chemistry with the other team and Dylan, and we were definitely ragging on the other team during the show (even though we were losing for 3/4 of the game!).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:05:08 PM by Moe Train »

goongas

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 10:09:31 AM »
For those interested, here are the questions that were on the last application that I filled out to tryout for Millionaire:

1. What is the first thing you would do with $1 million?
2. What would Meredith Vieira find most interesting about you?
3. What are the three things you want to do before you die?
4. Complete this sentence You'd never believe it but I...
5. What is your most embarrassing moment?
6. I could be in the Guinness Book of World Records for...?
7. Do you have any bad habits or habits you know annoy other people?
8. If you had three wishes what would they be?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 11:38:39 AM by goongas »

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'127471\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 07:09 AM\']
7. Do you have any bad habits or habits you know annoy other people?
[/quote]
Holy screening question, Batman.

cmjb13

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 10:35:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'127379\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 02:52 PM\']
I'm 2 for 2 in tryouts, so I guess I'm doing something right.  One thing I made a special point of doing both times was to interact positively with the other players.  Clap or congratulate them when they do something good, even if it was at your own expense.  I've got a feeling that coordinators prefer to see that than to see someone totally focussed on his own performance.  You don't get anything for winning the mock game.
[/quote]
Funny you should mention this. I was discussing this with someone recently regarding Wheel. Apparently the contestant coordinators want people rooting for others telling the contestants to act like you are playing against the house, not each other.

I'm sorry, but unless all 3 of us are making it to the bonus round, I'm not playing like that.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS